John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on speaker placement for Atmos in my family room home theater.

I am current using all Definitive Technology gear:
SM350's (strictly for size)
CLR2300
SuperCube I
Not sure of the model, but surrounds are Definitive UIW "somethings" that run in stereo. Each speaker has 2 coax drivers, wired independently, angled front and back. These allow me to have 4 rear channels. These aren't the bi-polar models, although they do look like them. These are mounted in my ceiling.

The room is 20' x20' with 12' ceilings. I expect to be upgrading my receiver to the Denon AVR-6400.

I've attached a crude mock-up of my room. I'm thinking I could run in 5.1.4 and use one of the existing surround channel speakers as the rear height channel and add a pair of front height speakers in the ceiling.

Where would the best place for the front heights be?

I could, if it would make a significant difference, add rear channel speakers to the wall behind me, but they would have to be ~7' or higher from the ground.

Thanks!
John

Attachments

Last edited:
John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Based on your diagram, you'd only need to add the two additional front height speakers in the ceiling.
Thanks - I’ve seen that and it doesn’t fully answer my questions.

Since the Atmos setup specs want the surround speakers to be at ear level, I am looking for some real-world advice on my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think, if I follow your question, you want to wire one set of coaxial drivers in each of the uiw for the rear height pair, and add a second pair in front of the couch for 5.1.4. I think that would work ok, with the exception being if the drivers are pointed really far away from the LP. Atmos in ceiling speakers should have very wide coverage, like 90degrees. If you added speakers to the rear would that be for bed channels? If so, I probably wouldn’t bother. They should be 3’ lower than the Atmos speakers but I think that might still be too high off the ground, as the spec calls for the surrounds to be only 1.25 times the height of the mains.(40”x1.25=50”)So, if I follow your question, and diagram, I would to follow the Dolby pic that pwlong put up, and add the front height speakers in front of the couch at roughly the 45deg angle, or whatever matches the rear angle. It’s a pretty broad window. Hope there’s something useful in there.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Thanks!

I forgot to mention the wall behind me opens into my kitchen just about where the left person image is on the sofa, so if I added actual rear channel speakers they wouldn't be symmetrical or outside the mains.

I can't put my rears on the sides either, as the right wall is not hollow (block construction here in Florida) and on-walls will not get "approval" ;)

My mains and center are about 5' off the ground (only place they fit in my built-in).

It doesn't look like I have many good options here...

Attachments

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless you use stand mounts for the side surrounds, your current options cause more trouble than enjoyment. Mixing the height channels without other in ceiling surrounds doesn't work. If your looking for another upgrade path, get a good subwoofer and instead of .4 do 5.1x.2 sacrificing the in ceiling current rears to their current location.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I have a Definitive SuperCube so good bass isn't an issue.

It sounds like 5.1.2 is the way to go... Definitely saves me money as most good receivers will do the 7 channels.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Definitive SuperCube so good bass isn't an issue.

It sounds like 5.1.2 is the way to go... Definitely saves me money as most good receivers will do the 7 channels.
You might be surprised to find out that for deep bass with spl, your missing out. The Super Cube is probably just fine for music, but bass below 30hz is not it's strong suit.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
You might be surprised to find out that for deep bass with spl, your missing out. The Super Cube is probably just fine for music, but bass below 30hz is not it's strong suit.
I'm limited in space where I can put a sub - what would you suggest to replace it that's similar footprint (~14" wide / deep) that can get close to its low bass output.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm limited in space where I can put a sub - what would you suggest to replace it that's similar footprint (~14" wide / deep) that can get close to its low bass output.
Do you have a budget? Is their a height restriction?

Also is there no way the sub can be moved to the long wall?

Last edited:
John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I could probably fit one ~22" tall (it's behind a door). Under $2,000

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nope - I'm really limited in free space here.
Being in a cabinet is problematic for a lot of Subs. If your positive about your measurements I'll check, but I believe that another 1.5" would be ideal. IIRC your sub has passive radiators and that is likely muddying your sound.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I don’t have any issue with bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis