help with 5.1 speakers

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
hi, I'm totaly new at this, but I'm thinking upgrade my HT. the room is about 10x16, and open up with kitchen. my budget is about $2200. the HT is mostly use for movie, and digital TVs. I read that axiom is very good, but would it be good idea if i use m2i as surround speaker instead QS8?? how about the AV123 Rocket ULW-10 sub, or other subs I read the rocket sub is recommanded by audioholichttp://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/5KRecommendedhometheater2.php
also i have a 4-yr old Technics Receiver that has 2 optical, 1 digital coax, sub out, and other component line in it, 100w/channel. can i still use it and get good perfermance out of the speaker or I need to buy a new one.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
New speakers

I think that Axiom is a good lead in your price range. Depending on the size of your room, a setup with M60s, VP150, and QS8s (larger room) OR M22ti, VP100, and QS8s would work great. Though they cost more, the QS8s will play louder and perform much better than M2i's as surround speakers.

Unless you want to save up for the Axiom EP500 sub, I would go with the rocket model you listed or one of the 10 or 12" models from SVS or HSU.

Good speakers will make a better long term investment than a new receiver. Consider buying the new front and center channels, and testing on your existing receiver to determine if you need a receiver upgrade or should purchase the rest of the speakers.

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
how does EP500 compare those HSU or SVS or rocket model, i know its better, but I mean price/perfermance wise. I don't want spend another extra 500 for very little perfermance. so you think QS8 is much better than m2i for surround? how about klipsch stuff? i'm try to get the best price per bang speakers. if axiom only increase little bet perfermance compare to other cheap good brand speaker than I might consider those.

I'm not sure my room consider large or small it is 10 by 15', and open up to kitchen. here is a basic diagram
|
|______________Sofa_________|

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
s002wjh said:
how does EP500 compare those HSU or SVS or rocket model, i know its better, but I mean price/perfermance wise. I don't want spend another extra 500 for very little perfermance. so you think QS8 is much better than m2i for surround? how about klipsch stuff? i'm try to get the best price per bang speakers. if axiom only increase little bet perfermance compare to other cheap good brand speaker than I might consider those.

I'm not sure my room consider large or small it is 10 by 15', and open up to kitchen. here is a basic diagram
|
|______________Sofa_________|

The EP500 is not "better" then some of the svs units for hte same price. Its probably overkill in your room, but its beter to have to much then not enough.

It all comes down to how much you wanna spend on the subwoofer. A PB-10 will do very well in your room, its is a favorite of some ppl here.

SheepStar.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
How many watts RMS is that reciver? What Axioms are you looking at? If bookshelfs, and 80insh watts RMS a channel it should be ok.

SheepStar

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
I probably buy axiom M60ti, QS8, VP150, and $600 SVS SUB 12". is this good setup for best bang for the buck or something cheap can do relative same thing?
as for the receiver it is 100watt x 5, 6ohm instead 8ohm. 40hz-20khz

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
also whats good about floorstand speaker comare to bookshelf like axiom m60 vs m22ti. if i have a 12" svs sub, which will be better for movie?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bookshelf vs. floorstander

Both the M22tis or M60s should work great in your relatively small room with the 12" SVS sub. Using the floorstanders will allow you to play them louder and also have a lower crossover frequency. Since one of your previous posts indicated lower cost as a factor, go with the bookshelf speakers.

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
i decide that it is probably look better if i buy the floorstand. just curious, is there other speakers that has good perfermance around $2000 without the SUB. so basically 2 main, 1 center and 2 surround?? I heard paradigm is good, is there any other brand I should check it out?

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
s002wjh said:
i decide that it is probably look better if i buy the floorstand. just curious, is there other speakers that has good perfermance around $2000 without the SUB. so basically 2 main, 1 center and 2 surround?? I heard paradigm is good, is there any other brand I should check it out?
Axiom, Rocket, Swan, Home Theater Direct, Polk, Klipsch, B&W and the above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis