HELP!!!!! Which headphones are for me?

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
Howdy folks. I am in need of some assistance. First time poster here, and I figured with a name like Audioholic, this must be the right place to get some solid advice and recommendations.
I'm looking for a wireless headset to use with my LG G6. I will be using it for two things. Watching the ole boob tube (Netflix), and primarily music - Rock N Roll music. My wife bought me the Bose Quietcomfort 25s for Xmas. The sound quality is very good, but they simply aren't loud enough for me with my device. So, we exchanged them for the Beats Solo Wireless 3s. These were slightly louder, however the sound quality was not as good as the Bose. None the less, neither were loud enough to justify the price imo. Both were only what I would consider a slight increase over my 30 dollar Ipod earbuds.
My phone shouldn't be an issue from what I can tell, as it has a built-in quad dac. Honestly, I don't even know what that means. Is there a set of earphones that will give me the sound I'm seeking for 200 dollars or less? I like my songs to hit hard, sound crisp, and get loud.
Any advice, suggestions, etc would be most appreciated. My next trial was going to be the JBL Everest Elite 700s. Am I correct in assuming I want over the ear / large driver earphones? I've heard and read a lot of good things about Sennheiser and Sony as well. I'm all ears haha. Thank you

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know what your expectations are as I believe both of those cans should play loud enough. Best wireless cans I know for sound quality close to price range are Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 but I cant tell if they are loud enough for you as I don't know what you expect. I personally find over ear cans most comfortable but it all comes to preference.

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
I guess my expectations is a sound in terms of volume of loudness, that coincides with the price tag. I tried the JBLs this evening, and they were pretty bad in terms of volume level, and I certainly wouldn't consider them crispy clear. The Beats were almost there, but just not quite. Maybe I should have gotten the over the ear style, rather than the on the ear type. For those who have used the above mentioned headphones, what would you recommend that you use, and know are louder? Noise canceling isn't of the upmost importance to me. Sound is. I think I would like to pick up a pair of Sennheisers. I just don't know which ones I should be after

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I guess my expectations is a sound in terms of volume of loudness, that coincides with the price tag. I tried the JBLs this evening, and they were pretty bad in terms of volume level, and I certainly wouldn't consider them crispy clear. The Beats were almost there, but just not quite. Maybe I should have gotten the over the ear style, rather than the on the ear type. For those who have used the above mentioned headphones, what would you recommend that you use, and know are louder? Noise canceling isn't of the upmost importance to me. Sound is. I think I would like to pick up a pair of Sennheisers. I just don't know which ones I should be after
Loudness don't have much to do with sound quality as long as it playes loud enough and all of those cans should play loud enough. I don't personally own any wireless headphones but I believe they should play loud enough to give you permanent hearing damage if you blast them at max volume for extended periods. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 are best wireless headphones for sound quality that I'm aware of.

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
So what your saying is loudness and sound quality don't go hand and hand? It's one or the other? I find that hard to believe. I get that Bose / Sennheiser / Etc have excellent sound quality that they're known for. No Brainer. As I've stated now several times, the ones I've tried simply are not loud enough to justify the price, and most definitely not loud enough to cause hearing damage. Even my wife who does not like "loud" said they were awfully quiet for what we paid. I'll give the Sennheiser a shot.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So what your saying is loudness and sound quality don't go hand and hand? It's one or the other? I find that hard to believe. I get that Bose / Sennheiser / Etc have excellent sound quality that they're known for. No Brainer. As I've stated now several times, the ones I've tried simply are not loud enough to justify the price, and most definitely not loud enough to cause hearing damage. Even my wife who does not like "loud" said they were awfully quiet for what we paid. I'll give the Sennheiser a shot.
In my experience all headphones have played loud enough, and the ones I mostly use with my phone only require like 15% the power my phone can provide, they are not wireless though and again, I don't own any wireless cans so cant say if they are that different. Bose is overrated for sound quality and so is Beats, you are paying more for the brand than quality. It makes me wonder how loud you want the cans to play as you say they are not loud enough?

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Sennheiser 600/650 Beyerdynamics 880 etc + iPhone = nirvana
The iPhone has more than enough power unless you damaged your hearing

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Sennheiser 600/650 Beyerdynamics 880 etc + iPhone = nirvana
The iPhone has more than enough power unless you damaged your hearing
He is after wireless set.

I would not suggest HD600/650 for mobile use as they are 250 Ohm cans. You are better with low impedance cans for mobile use.

M

Mark Hogquist

Enthusiast
Speaking of low impedance, I noticed all the cans I have tried have between 32 and 36 OHMs. They also all have close to the same sensitivity, around 99 decibels. Honestly, if I could have achieved 3 to 4 more clicks on the volume, I would have been completely satisfied
Looking at the Sennheiser Hd1 wireless headphones, they have a lower impedance, 18 OHMs. They also have a higher decibel level at 113. Is it safe to assume these cans in theory should provide a higher volume with my smartphone?
I've narrowed my search down to 3 sets, all wired.
Sennheiser Hd1
Audio Technica ath-m50x
Focal Listen wireless
The Listen has an even higher sensitivity than the Hd1s. I want wired so I can use a portable dac if deemed necessary. That or I'll trade my phone in for an LG V30 with quad dac. The Audio Technicas sound quite promising according to all the love they get from the numerous reviews I've read. Would also save me a hundred bucks.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Speaking of low impedance, I noticed all the cans I have tried have between 32 and 36 OHMs. They also all have close to the same sensitivity, around 99 decibels. Honestly, if I could have achieved 3 to 4 more clicks on the volume, I would have been completely satisfied
Looking at the Sennheiser Hd1 wireless headphones, they have a lower impedance, 18 OHMs. They also have a higher decibel level at 113. Is it safe to assume these cans in theory should provide a higher volume with my smartphone?
I've narrowed my search down to 3 sets, all wired.
Sennheiser Hd1
Audio Technica ath-m50x
Focal Listen wireless
The Listen has an even higher sensitivity than the Hd1s. I want wired so I can use a portable dac if deemed necessary. That or I'll trade my phone in for an LG V30 with quad dac. The Audio Technicas sound quite promising according to all the love they get from the numerous reviews I've read. Would also save me a hundred bucks.
If the db rating is higher they should play louder. I have not heard the HD1 so can't say anything about them, how ever they look quite a lot the same as Momentum 2.0 and they are great headphones. Momentum 2.0 are also rated at 113db.

edit: I personally find the Audio Technicas uncomfortable to wear and the sound isnt that great either.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@Mark Hogquist I think we ought to check something. Since Bluetooth headphones are self-powered, I believe they usually have their own volume control. On your phone, while the Bluetooth headphones are paired and you have media playing, turn the Bluetooth volume up all the way, then tap it back down 2 ticks. Then on your headphones turn the volume up as loud as you need. I do this with my Parrot Zik headphones and I have to back them down when they get uncomfortably loud.*

Also, if you choose headphones that offer active noise cancelling, try enabling that feature. If your headphones are tuned well enough, you might find that you don't need to turn them up so loud because even at low volume they'll sound clear.

* (Not that I specifically recommend the Parrot Zik for your situation, though. They're abysmal in passive wired mode and are heavily dependent on their app for sound quality, which many people don't like. If that doesn't bother you, then you might be interested to read my review of the Zik 2.0 and then discover they're now available for less than 1/3 of MSRP in some colors.)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis