Help!(Vsx-56tx vs. avr-3805 vs.etc)

T

Trex

Audiophyte
I am in the process of purchasing a receiver for my HT. I listen mainly to music so my emphasis would be on 2-channel. I am trying to decide between 5 different receivers pushed by my local dealers. The 5 are Pioneer Vsx-56tx, Denon AVR-3805, Yamaha Rx-2500, Rotel Rx-1056 or Cambridge 540r. A note that I would prefer to "plug and play" and set-up difficulty would be an issue. Also I have read that the YPAO on the Yamaha does not always work whearas it is perfect on the Pioneer.

Any comments concerning some or all of the above is appreciated.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
The 56Txi also has i link capability. If you have a universal player with i link then it would be 1 cable for all audio combined with Pioneer's auto calibration. Doesn't get more plug n play than that.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Trex said:
I am in the process of purchasing a receiver for my HT. I listen mainly to music so my emphasis would be on 2-channel. I am trying to decide between 5 different receivers pushed by my local dealers. The 5 are Pioneer Vsx-56tx, Denon AVR-3805, Yamaha Rx-2500, Rotel Rx-1056 or Cambridge 540r. A note that I would prefer to "plug and play" and set-up difficulty would be an issue. Also I have read that the YPAO on the Yamaha does not always work whearas it is perfect on the Pioneer.

Any comments concerning some or all of the above is appreciated.
What type of music do you prefer? What line of speakers do you have?

T

Trex

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
What type of music do you prefer? What line of speakers do you have?

I listen to mainly 70's r&b(marvin gaye,stevie wonder,etc.) and some classical. I've just purchased Axiom m60 fronts,vp150 centre,qs8 rears and am debating either outlaw audio lfm-1 or svs pb12-1 sub. Any suggestions on the sub also?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Denon or Rotel

Trex said:
I listen to mainly 70's r&b(marvin gaye,stevie wonder,etc.) and some classical. I've just purchased Axiom m60 fronts,vp150 centre,qs8 rears and am debating either outlaw audio lfm-1 or svs pb12-1 sub. Any suggestions on the sub also?
With that music in mind, you may prefer the sound of the Denon or Rotel out of the box. Although all these receives can be infinitely adjusted, the Yamaha and Pioneers are a bit more crisp then the others when set to flat. I can't speak for Cambridge, so you'll have to do your own demo. You may prefer the Pioneer or Yamaha if your room acoustics are dead, needing that extra bit of treble. Axiom's have been known to be on the bright side (not a bad thing). Couple them up with the Pioneer, and you may need to carpet the walls! The SVS subs get the highest ratings on this site. Just make sure you have the room.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Have to strongly disagree with Buckeye on the sound of the pioneer elite receivers. I own the vsx-54, and would never describe the sound as bright. the elites use mosfet amps instead of the more common push-pulls. Mosfets genereally have a characteristic sound described as "tube-like" by it's fans, and "the mosfet mist" by it's detractors. Generally the sound is warm, a little laid back. Speakers on the bright side of neutral (as some describe Axioms) sound awesome when paired with these receivers.

The power of these units is so smooth it is deceptive. I have an older pair of Monitor Audio MA 700 golds that can present some funky loads, and aren't too effecient. A little too rocking and they shut down my old Onkyo receiver. With the pioneer, I can keep cranking and they keep begging for more. Often I don't realize how loud I am listening until someone tries to talk to me. On the other hand, at night when the household goes to bed, I am amazed at the detail I hear between -50 & -40 db on the volume. As you can tell I am very happy with this receiver.

If you are interested in 2 channel music, you will find this receiver capable of delivering the goods. I didn't compare the Rotel and Cambridge as they were out of my range (heck I really wanted the 56, but it was out of my range as well), but did compare the Yammie and the Denon. I really prefered the sound of the Pioneer. If you want plug and play ease, then the Pioneer may very well be your solution. The i-link connection will be awesome with a universal player, the MCACC auto set-up is a breeze, and the 54 remote has a 1-button toggle between pure direct and "stereo" with the adjusted sound engaged. Both modes use the sub, though you can turn the feed to the sub off with a couple of button clicks. the 56 remote is more extensive than the 54.

Hope you enjoy, and I must admit I envy you the set-up you are getting. All the way around, excellent!
x

T

Trex

Audiophyte
Thanks to all for the input although I still haven't decided 100%. Leaning towards the Pioneer.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Xsound said:
Have to strongly disagree with Buckeye on the sound of the pioneer elite receivers. I own the vsx-54, and would never describe the sound as bright.
I'll agree with you there - the Pioneer Elite receivers are far from bright sounding receivers. I don't find my 54TX to be bright at all.

kay

kay

Audioholic
For what it's worth, I think the Cambridge 540R is not in the same league as the others. Haven't looked yet but it's very minimalist in terms of connectivity and features, only does 6.1, and is more of a competitor to the Yamaha RX-V550/RX-V650 than the RX-V2500.

T

Trex

Audiophyte
kay said:
For what it's worth, I think the Cambridge 540R is not in the same league as the others. Haven't looked yet but it's very minimalist in terms of connectivity and features, only does 6.1, and is more of a competitor to the Yamaha RX-V550/RX-V650 than the RX-V2500.

You are right. The 540R retails for quite a bit less than all the others. More curious than anything about opinions on Cambridge.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I am an Elite owner and I would describe the sound as being warm not bright. To be honest with you though, the room you play your music in it has a larger effect on the tonal qualities. Another thing to consider is that the Auto-Equalization feature built into most receivers will balance most of this out too.

S

sparksjg

Audiophyte
Pioneer 56Txi is 6.1 all reviews I read said it would play 7.1. How would I wire 6 speakers and a sub. or get the 56txi to play 7.1. I brought the 56Txi last night, don't have it yet, should I trade for the 54 Txi. Thanks
Garry

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
the 56 does 7.1. Not sure where you got the info on it being 6.1 only. Still if you want to trade, I will trade my 54 even-steven for the 56. ;-)

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Check out the Pioneer web-site. If you want you can download the manual in a PDF file. I assure you the 56 is 7.1.

However, my offer still stands. I will trade you my 54 for your 56, and I'll even pay for the shipping!

X

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis