Help Troubleshooting HDMI Audio Issue on Onkyo RZ820

J

juryman

Audioholic Intern
I had to reset a Spectrum 101HD cable box, which is plugged into HDMI2 on the AVR because it was giving me issues with the guide. After reset, I get no audio through the HDMI. Press i to get audio status and it shows no audio input or output. Have been through the settings of the AVR, TV, AND cable box, adjusting any setting that may be related to HDMI. Nothing I change helps. Other devices connected to AVR are fine. Just the cable box.

I have tried everything I can think of and have had no success getting audio back through the HDMI connection. My input and output status still shows nothing, EXCEPT when I have DTS off. Only then does it show input UNKNOWN and output 5.1 Surround but I still get no audio through HDMI. Things I have tried...
  • Performed a soft reboot of the AVR.
  • Moved cable box to a different HDMI port.
  • Tried a different HDMI cable.
  • Changed the CBL/SAT port from Mode 1. Tried Mode 2 and Mode 3.
  • CEC off then back ON again.
  • PCM off then back on.
I have to assume that the cable box and HDMI cable is fine because when I connect the cable box directly to the TV (bypassing the AVR) I get audio. I am beginning to wonder if the latest firmware has messed something up. Just around the same time I had the cable box issue I updated to the latest firmware.

I have no idea where else to look or what else to try.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had to reset a Spectrum 101HD cable box, which is plugged into HDMI2 on the AVR because it was giving me issues with the guide. After reset, I get no audio through the HDMI. Press i to get audio status and it shows no audio input or output. Have been through the settings of the AVR, TV, AND cable box, adjusting any setting that may be related to HDMI. Nothing I change helps. Other devices connected to AVR are fine. Just the cable box.

I have tried everything I can think of and have had no success getting audio back through the HDMI connection. My input and output status still shows nothing, EXCEPT when I have DTS off. Only then does it show input UNKNOWN and output 5.1 Surround but I still get no audio through HDMI. Things I have tried...
  • Performed a soft reboot of the AVR.
  • Moved cable box to a different HDMI port.
  • Tried a different HDMI cable.
  • Changed the CBL/SAT port from Mode 1. Tried Mode 2 and Mode 3.
  • CEC off then back ON again.
  • PCM off then back on.
I have to assume that the cable box and HDMI cable is fine because when I connect the cable box directly to the TV (bypassing the AVR) I get audio. I am beginning to wonder if the latest firmware has messed something up. Just around the same time I had the cable box issue I updated to the latest firmware.

I have no idea where else to look or what else to try.
I suspect that the firmware update did create an HDMI compatibility issue with your receiver. Try resetting the spectrum cable box. Instructions are on line.

If that fails then you will have to connect your cable box to the TV and get your audio back through ARC or an optical cable.

J

juryman

Audioholic Intern
I suspect that the firmware update did create an HDMI compatibility issue with your receiver. Try resetting the spectrum cable box. Instructions are on line.

If that fails then you will have to connect your cable box to the TV and get your audio back through ARC or an optical cable.
I have tested the optical cable and that seems to work. I know its the AVR and probably the firmware. I will have to call support. Its a shame that now I need 2 cables all because of a possible firmware issue.

J

juryman

Audioholic Intern
Not doing that. Would rather keep it connected to the AVR and add an optical cable to get my audio, which I have tested and it does work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis