Help troubleshooting buzzing from receiver

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Hey all. I was helping a friend set up a home theater system that he has had for 4 years and has never been properly calibrated. His receiver (Integra 30.6) was emitting a buzzing sound from the unit itself (not from the speakers). The unit buzzed consistently as long as it was plugged in, even with power off. Magically, it had stopped by the time I left, but I didn't do anything to fix it. Apparently, it had been happening for a week or two. Receiver works normally otherwise.

Any idea what the cause may have been in case it comes back? I assumed originally it was maybe a power supply issue since it happened even while the unit was off, but not sure why it stopped.

All advice appreciated!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey all. I was helping a friend set up a home theater system that he has had for 4 years and has never been properly calibrated. His receiver (Integra 30.6) was emitting a buzzing sound from the unit itself (not from the speakers). The unit buzzed consistently as long as it was plugged in, even with power off. Magically, it had stopped by the time I left, but I didn't do anything to fix it. Apparently, it had been happening for a week or two. Receiver works normally otherwise.

Any idea what the cause may have been in case it comes back? I assumed originally it was maybe a power supply issue since it happened even while the unit was off, but not sure why it stopped.

All advice appreciated!
Most likely mechanical hum from the transformer. Pretty much all transformers hum, some worse than others.

Check out the mechanical connections, be sure it is secured.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Well apparently today it died. Will turn on but powers off immediately. He tells me this unit has a history of repairs so he is scrapping it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well apparently today it died. Will turn on but powers off immediately. He tells me this unit has a history of repairs so he is scrapping it.
Curious, did he have the unit in a well ventilated location?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Oh no, not at all. It's inside a cabinet that's part of a built-in bookcase. We talked about propping the door open and adding a PC fan on top of it as well as raising the shelf above it (only had about 3" of clearance, but had the room for about another 12"). Not perfect, but definitely a better situation for the next receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis