Help...sub for under $400....new if possible...any ideas?

C

chgo36

Audioholic Intern
My room size is 22' x 16' with 9 ft ceilings....mostly for music but some movies....kind of leery buying a used sub but would consider if from a reliable seller. Help is appreciated.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I would look into the Emotiva subs. Getting great reviews and they're sealed which is great for music.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's 3100 cubic feet. I'd look locally for something used, or go with two inexpensive subs.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I know where you can get a VTF-2 MK3 for that price depending on where you live.

That should meet your needs just fine.

How close are you to St. Louis?

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
I'd go used. From what I understand the SVS warranties are transferable, so finding a used SVS would be ideal to set your mind at ease.

A

Audiophile_719

Audiophyte
Powered subs are a dime a dozen anymore. I just depends on your budget. If you decide to go used, try to find out if you can hear them. Do your homework and take into account the accoustics of the room you are setting up in as well.

Stripes

Stripes

Full Audioholic
Powered subs are a dime a dozen anymore. I just depends on your budget. If you decide to go used, try to find out if you can hear them. Do your homework and take into account the accoustics of the room you are setting up in as well.
Utterly useless post, his buget is stated and he gave the dimensions of his room. Bad idea to come on to a forum and start giving crackpot advice right off the bat...

V

vikebrian84

Audioholic Intern
The idea situation is to find a used internet direct sub with a transferable warrenty Hsu and svs come to mind. Be patient and youll find something cheap. Took me only a month to find a stf-2 for only 150 30 mins from where i live.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
will the A2-300 fill that space? I think they put their price up to about $430 with free shipping? I did get some emails about eD sales going on. Worth it to check them out. Best bet is used on classifieds. You can always go audition, then you can get a feel of the seller by actually meeting them, and testing out the gear. Bring some testing material. Consider THEIR room size while doing so.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd save and be sure I got one that has enough output for my room. At your price, I'd actually be holding out for the Epik Legends to start shipping. Call them and see if you can get one on preorder - you won't find anything better for $500 new (plus shipping) IMO.

A used SVS or HSU would be a solid option as well. I picked up a used VTF-2 pretty cheap and it was an excellent sub. I endded up selling it for only like $20 less than I originally bought it for too, a year later.

C

CoffeeAddict

Audiophyte
I know where you can get a VTF-2 MK3 for that price depending on where you live.

That should meet your needs just fine.

How close are you to St. Louis?

Sorry to bump an older thread but just came across this. I am looking in the same price range to replace a Infinity PS-12 where the Amp burned out on me.

I am running Infinity Beta series (50's front, C360 center) and OSW-1 rears of an HK AVR 240 in a HUGE room, loft with concrete floors and 12ft ceilings. (19 by 24 is the listing area, kitchen is to the side and is another 20ft to the first wall) I know nothing remotely close to my price range will "properly" fill the room and I've comes to terms with that and am just looking for something decent to fill in and not anger the neighbors.

Currently I'm looking at the Polk PSW505 on Amazon, $250 shipped. Looking on here and the AVS forums I've seen a lot of love for SVS, HSU, eD and Epik but the price point puts those out of reach for me.

So two questions, first, is that VTF-2 MK3 in St. Louis still around? I live in downtown St. Louis so it may be an option for me (Sorry to post and not PM but since I'm a newbie to the site its still "locked" for a bit)

Second, is the Polk a decent sub? Doesn't really need to be a superstar, I had the PS-12 for 4ish years so my starting reference point isn't all that high.

Thanks everyone!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Don't bother with Polk, even at that price. Take a look at the Emotiva subs which are on sale right now http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm (12 is $499, 10 is $289) They are going to run you a bit more, but you won't regret it. As you already said, your room is very large, but the good thing is, you could add a second one of these down the road and probably be able to manage a room that size just fine.

O

ohskigod

Junior Audioholic
the Polk is a decent sub, especially at that price point, though I would go the DIY route to really maximize what i get for my dollar, especially with a room that size.

there are sub plans all over the net........yes, a sub has to be the right design for a driver but if any DIY project has a certain level of forgivness/wiggle room, it's a DIY sub (especially since you dont have to worry about a crossover since it will be in whatever plate amp you use)

go to Home depot, get some sheets of 3/4" mdf and go to town.

L

LimiterOne

Enthusiast
Try your own, maybe?
I built my sub for about that a few months ago. 15" 4ohm Dayton QT385-4 with a Dayton HPSA500 in about 2.2cf sealed... the parametric EQ on the amp lets me easily adjust for room properties and the early rolloff of the sealed enclosure, and using a 4 ohm gets full power from the amp and lets me keep the gain dialed fairly low so the amp doesn't heat up much. Win.
It kicks *** now that the woofer has broken in; excellent low-end extension and awesome transients. Rewatched Iron Man 2 this weekend and the combat scene in the dome with all the drones was massaging my *** quite nicely. :cool:
Just a thought.

Peace

LO

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis