Help setting up receriver's equalizer

U

udlilmike

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Does anyone have any advice for a beginner on how to set up a receivers equalizer.  
I have a sony strde-845. &nbsp;receiver.
It is hooked up to two Infinity Interlude il30 front speakers and an infinity interlude il25 center speaker.  It has two old crappy speakers for the rears.  I currently do not have a sub.
Any Advice?
Thanks,
Mike</font>

U

udlilmike

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I finally heard back from a support guy from infinity and he said that with these speakers I shouldn't use an equalizer. &nbsp;Is this correct? &nbsp;Even if the equalizer is build into the receiver?
I have to set them to something don't I?
I'm confused!
&nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000000'>Believe it or not, you generally don't want to use the equalizer unless you have a dinstinct problem in your room that you know you need to correct for.

The general rule is to bypass the EQ when possible (if the receiver lets you) or set all the EQ or tone settings to 0 (neutral) positions.

Then sit back and listen to your speakers.

You may be tempted to raise the bass or treble frequencies to 'accentuate' them, but I would suggest that doing so would result in muddying up your sound rather than actually helping it (you will most likely lose detail and clarity). And once you turn up the bass you may feel like you're &quot;removing&quot; it when you go back to neutral. If you want more punch or low end, hang loose until you can afford a subwoofer that is designed to fill in that area of sound.

You certainly won't do any harm playing with the EQ, but I don't generally recommend it due to the &quot;mud&quot; factor.</font>

U

udlilmike

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Hawke!
That clears things up.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis