Help request: Turntable preamp to phono input kapow!

J

Jdmojo

Audiophyte
Oh boy, I just connected my Fluance turntable to the phono input on my Outlaw RR2160 receiver. I had the Fluance phono preamp turned on by mistake. There was a loud sound and now nothing from the receiver phono input. The grounds were connected.
I’m still able to play the turntable through a separate analog input but the sound is very quiet. The other devices work normally through the receiver and speakers. Does anyone know if I fried one or both phono preamps, and what to do?
Many thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh boy, I just connected my Fluance turntable to the phono input on my Outlaw RR2160 receiver. I had the Fluance phono preamp turned on by mistake. There was a loud sound and now nothing from the receiver phono input. The grounds were connected.
I’m still able to play the turntable through a separate analog input but the sound is very quiet. The other devices work normally through the receiver and speakers. Does anyone know if I fried one or both phono preamps, and what to do?
Many thanks.
It certainly sounds like you could have fried them. But I have to say, those preamps can't be very robust. I have one question. Is the sound via the turntable preamp quieter than it used to be? I suppose it is possible you fried both turntable and outlaw preamps. It sounds to me that there is nothing you can do to remedy the situation, other than to buy an external preamp.

highfigh

highfigh

Many thanks.
Did you make this connection while the Outlaw was turned on? NEVER do that!

The grounds had nothing to do with this unless the turntable and receivers have non-polarized power plugs and one was the opposite of the other, like old electronics had.

The phono preamp in the turntable shouldn't have fried, but the one in the receiver shouldn't either, if they had designed it properly. If you set the switch on the Fluance to Bypass the phono preamp when the turntable is connected to the Outlaw's phono input, what do you hear? If the sound is non-existent or extremely low, it would seem that the Outlaw's phono preamp was damaged. If it sounds normal, use it that way.

highfigh

highfigh

It certainly sounds like you could have fried them. But I have to say, those preamps can't be very robust. I have one question. Is the sound via the turntable preamp quieter than it used to be? I suppose it is possible you fried both turntable and outlaw preamps. It sounds to me that there is nothing you can do to remedy the situation, other than to buy an external preamp.
If only there had been some way for this to not happen......oh, wait- maybe if it was through better design and clear instructions in some place where NOBODY could miss them, like an easily removable sticker on the dust cover, turntable base, printed on the box, wrapping, in the online ad.....

J

Jdmojo

Audiophyte
Thanks much for the quick replies. I'm surprised and how easily this was to mess up... I didn't connect the thing live, I just turned it on and zap. My Outlaw preamp seems dead. I'll have to test the turntable preamp on another receiver, but it's super quiet throughthe analog port and I don't want to run it that way.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks much for the quick replies. I'm surprised and how easily this was to mess up... I didn't connect the thing live, I just turned it on and zap. My Outlaw preamp seems dead. I'll have to test the turntable preamp on another receiver, but it's super quiet throughthe analog port and I don't want to run it that way.
IMO, nothing should have been damaged because there are so many ways to prevent it but when manufacturers count everything in 1/100ths of a penny (or smaller increments), safety measures go out the window.

Unplugging the equipment may reset some kind of protection circuit. I'm not confident about this, but it's worth trying.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I see this unit does have a reset option in the set up menu. That will return the unit to its factory default settings.

Before that, I would ascertain if all sources are now quiet. So play a CD through it, and see if that has changed. If so, do a reset.

If that does not work call Outlaw Audio at (866) 688-5297.

I note these units only carried a 30 day warranty. Let us know how all this goes, but in general, after sales service is generally poor to non existent across the board these days, which is totally unacceptable.

I have looked for a service manual and there isn't one, and no circuit available either. That is typical. This is pretty much an industry wide problem and totally unacceptable.

Your mistake was very understandable. If it has just sent the unit into some type of protection mode, and a reset resolves it that is fine. If however what you did has done hardware damage, then that is awful design. There is way too much of that around these days.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It seems very odd that a pre-amplified source would damage the phono inputs on the Outlaw. Even more odd that the Fluance pre-amp would get damaged. Op-amps are usually pretty robust. It would create a very distorted signal on the output but this sounds pretty extreme. The Fluance should still work through the other analogue inputs. Reset the receiver as suggested and try that first. If the volume seems very low, make sure you have not turned off the Fluance pre-amp. If you get audio but the level seems low, how is the quality of the sounds? Does it sounds proper but just at a low level, or is it noisy or distorted.

If you turn the Fluance pre-amp off and get nothing from the phono input on the Outlaw, you could phone or email them for an estimate on the cost of repair. Other option, as mentioned, is turning off the Fluance pre-amp and using an external phono pre-amp connect to an analogue input on the Outlaw but test those inputs with another source first.

J

Jdmojo

Audiophyte
Hooray! I'm happy to report that it worked, I unplugged the receiver for a while and the Outlaw phono input seems to have reset. It's still about 30% quieter than my CD player or Wifi DAC inputs to the analog ports, but it sounds great. Thanks everyone, you rock.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hooray! I'm happy to report that it worked, I unplugged the receiver for a while and the Outlaw phono input seems to have reset. It's still about 30% quieter than my CD player or Wifi DAC inputs to the analog ports, but it sounds great. Thanks everyone, you rock.
That is good news. It sounds like there is some sort of surge protection to stop blowing the output stage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A soft reset (unplugging for a bit) is always a nice first step. Not unusual for phono to be at a lower level than other sources. Some units have a way to compensate so when you switch between inputs the volume is more even....don't think that Outlaw has such, tho. What cartridge are you using?

J

Jdmojo

Audiophyte
A soft reset (unplugging for a bit) is always a nice first step. Not unusual for phono to be at a lower level than other sources. Some units have a way to compensate so when you switch between inputs the volume is more even....don't think that Outlaw has such, tho. What cartridge are you using?
Audiotechnica, whatever type came stock with the Fluance. I’m digging my new setup at the moment.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Varies with model of Fluance it appears....
Since his turntable came with a preamp, his cartridge is either the AT95E or AT 91. The former is a a $50 cartridge and good value.

The AT 91 is a $30.0 cartridge, basic and not very good. It does not even have and elliptical stylus.

The OP needs to think about changing his cartridge before worrying about preamps.

If he is serious he should invest in an Ortofon Blue cartridge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis