HELP PLEASE....Rockville HTS 56 hooked up to Vizio 65" V-Series

D

Dmr3073

Audiophyte
I am very new and we just purchased a very inexpensive Rockville setup in our new basement den. We have a hard time truly understanding the best way due to the layout..I am going to try and upload pictures if possible as the TV, front center speaker and sub in actually set back in what use to be a closet.
I've read the back satellite speakers are suppose to be lower in volume then the front speakers? By how much? Understanding voices are a little hard for me sometimes so I end up turning up and then when sounds and music kick in its actually really loud and have to turn down. Its a struggle. No i can not afford a better system. Im trying but struggling with sound. I do have a bitnof hearing loss so its a never ending cycle. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I hate to say it but you would most likly be better off with a soundbar or just the tv speakers. Inexpensive home theater in a box systems usually muddy up the dialogue in addition to a lot of badly mixed content. Which makes it very difficult to hear with many types of hearing problems.
Standard things you can try if its a keeper is to turn the center channel up a couple of dB and lower the surrounds a little. Make sure your room isnt very echo prone. You have a rug on the floor so thats a good thing, but might not be enough.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
It is not so much that the surround speakers are suppose dot have lower volume than they use less power. In general the surround speakers do not have as much activity as the front 3. Your Front Right, Front Left and Center channel are where most of the sound comes from. Adjusting the volume levels helps balance the sounds so you get the immersive experience rather than having a specific speaker drawing the most attention. I think the speaker placement looks ok but your receiver will be where you can look to adjustments to fit your listening habits. Having issues with speech can sometimes be helped by turning up the center channel or by adjusting the crossover and bass levels.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Difficult to see in the pictures but if you sit very far back up against the wall that might make it more difficult to hear also.

Hopefully some tweaks will help a lot but with hearing issues it can be difficult. I have a very good system but sometimes the tv program or movie sound quality, or mix is the biggest problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Dmr3073

Audiophyte
Thank you guys, I'm still learning and I guess I am going to have to try different ways or something..lol..I wasn't sure if sub and center speaker being set back with tv in the closet area would affect the sound or quality or make it bounce off the walls inside the recessed area..just trying

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you guys, I'm still learning and I guess I am going to have to try different ways or something..lol..I wasn't sure if sub and center speaker being set back with tv in the closet area would affect the sound or quality or make it bounce off the walls inside the recessed area..just trying
Perhaps pull the sub from out of that "closet area" and put the center on it and see if that changes things up much for you....

D

Dmr3073

Audiophyte
Perhaps pull the sub from out of that "closet area" and put the center on it and see if that changes things up much for you....
So go ahead and pull sub out? And put the center speaker on top of the sub?
What do you think about, should I take center speaker and hang it from the beam above the TV (which would put it on the outside of the closet recessed area) but it would be ceiling height, but with the bracket I could point it down toward the seating area. I don't know if that's a good idea or not..lol..sorry..im learning..but thanknyou so much for your reply.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant temporarily just to experiment with that "space" they're in to see if that makes a difference on the vocals particularly. That space could be doing something odd acoustically, but I'd experiment before going with anything permanent. More than likely it's the quality of the speakers, tho. Above or below tv can work. Also keep in mind center speakers are generally compromised designs to start (to allow horizontal positioning under/above a tv). Subs best location may not be in the middle at all.....it just looked like a convenient stand for the center speaker if anything :) Maybe separately try a sub crawl for determining its placement...https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just looked at Rockville. What a curious little HTIB...Never imagined a sub and receiver in the same chassis!
First of all, I would move that little sub into a corner. 8” is very small, and it would benefit from boundary gain. Moving the center out away from the wall could help if it’s getting too much reinforcement from the wall, and that closet space could definitely be making the sound funky. Not sure about that whole situation. Could be the other speakers/sub are set too loud and drowning the center out. Could be a poor speaker design. Idk... Having the rug should help, but maybe you should even have a thicker one.
For typical speaker set up, the AVR will emit a test tone and you set each speaker/channel to output at the same level. 75 decibles.(db) when measured with an spl meter(or autocal system) Then when listening to movies and music, the playback levels for each speaker are at the volumes they are supposed to be at. Rockville has a setup video listed, but I couldn’t get anywhere with it.
Edit: just looked at the manual. Useless!
Im guessing you don’t want to move the sub/receiver since you have wire races all over. But I would...because...bass!

D

Dmr3073

Audiophyte
Just looked at Rockville. What a curious little HTIB...Never imagined a sub and receiver in the same chassis!
First of all, I would move that little sub into a corner. 8” is very small, and it would benefit from boundary gain. Moving the center out away from the wall could help if it’s getting too much reinforcement from the wall, and that closet space could definitely be making the sound funky. Not sure about that whole situation. Could be the other speakers/sub are set too loud and drowning the center out. Could be a poor speaker design. Idk... Having the rug should help, but maybe you should even have a thicker one.
For typical speaker set up, the AVR will emit a test tone and you set each speaker/channel to output at the same level. 75 decibles.(db) when measured with an spl meter(or autocal system) Then when listening to movies and music, the playback levels for each speaker are at the volumes they are supposed to be at. Rockville has a setup video listed, but I couldn’t get anywhere with it.
Edit: just looked at the manual. Useless!
Im guessing you don’t want to move the sub/receiver since you have wire races all over. But I would...because...bass!
I am willing to move anything around to try anything, I am definitely not married to any particular spot for the speakers or sub..the only thing is the TV does have to stay where it is..all the other stuff I'm willing to try..thank you

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am willing to move anything around to try anything, I am definitely not married to any particular spot for the speakers or sub..the only thing is the TV does have to stay where it is..all the other stuff I'm willing to try..thank you
Sure thing! Even the most expensive system can be hampered by poor setup. Likewise, even the most entry level gear can benefit from proper setup. Often something that’s overlooked.
I’ve seen plenty of setups where people had results that were meh, but they didn’t take any time to think about placement and setup. You’re already way ahead! Not saying buying better gear isn’t necessary at some point, but making the most of what you’ve got will take you a long way.

D

Dmr3073

Audiophyte
Sure thing! Even the most expensive system can be hampered by poor setup. Likewise, even the most entry level gear can benefit from proper setup. Often something that’s overlooked.
I’ve seen plenty of setups where people had results that were meh, but they didn’t take any time to think about placement and setup. You’re already way ahead! Not saying buying better gear isn’t necessary at some point, but making the most of what you’ve got will take you a long way.
Absolutely I totally agree with you. I'm sure some time in the futur

D

Dmr3073

Audiophyte
Absolutely I totally agree with you. I'm sure some time in the future I will progress in better equipment. But I got what I could get and thought was ok..lol. before it arrived I had research and Google so much. Once it arrived it just didn't seem quite right and turned to more knowledge form you guys. Thank you guys very much.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis