Help Placing Subwoofer for odd shaped room

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

I am new here (and to hometheatre world) and read a few of the articles, but couldn't find anything with a room shaped like mine. Someone told me that I should place the subs in opposite corners (one in the Top Left Corner and one in the bottom right). The bottom right corner is what concerns me because it seems very far away, and if I face it "north" I feel like it would be blocked by the stair case and that little closet area.

I have a potential deal for 2 SVS-SB-3000s for $1,500. I was leaning towards getting them, but I see they only "Medium Room Certified" and this is definitely a Large Room (ceilings are 9feet)

It will be 80% movies/games/tv and 20% music.

Rest of system is:
LCR: 2 KEF R5s and R2C
AVR - X6700H
I plan to add surrounds within the year.

Any insight?

room with measurement.jpg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would try different placements to see what sounds best. You just need to experiment with different placements. If you are able to, use acoustic measurements to guide your placements.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hello All,

I am new here (and to hometheatre world) and read a few of the articles, but couldn't find anything with a room shaped like mine. Someone told me that I should place the subs in opposite corners (one in the Top Left Corner and one in the bottom right). The bottom right corner is what concerns me because it seems very far away, and if I face it "north" I feel like it would be blocked by the stair case and that little closet area.

I have a potential deal for 2 SVS-SB-3000s for $1,500. I was leaning towards getting them, but I see they only "Medium Room Certified" and this is definitely a Large Room (ceilings are 9feet)

It will be 80% movies/games/tv and 20% music.

Rest of system is:
LCR: 2 KEF R5s and R2C
AVR - X6700H
I plan to add surrounds within the year.

Any insight?

View attachment 61121
pics Need markings were you plan on placing subs.
Yeah I Stacked my subs ontop each other due to room constraints so just do your best to find the optimal spot. Don’t be afraid to stack subs if it ends up one spot is superior .

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
pics Need markings were you plan on placing subs.
Yeah I Stacked my subs ontop each other due to room constraints so just do your best to find the optimal spot. Don’t be afraid to stack subs if it ends up one spot is superior .
Never thought of stacking them, here is what I am thinking I marked the subs and direction in Green.

Attachments

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Never thought of stacking them, here is what I am thinking I marked the subs and direction in Green.
Look like solid spots , yeah my second placement spot is no longer an option it sounds better stacked then one sub per corner . I happen to be sitting near the corner but in a null so it depends mostly on your mlp.
At least you got two options maybe you will figure out which corner is better??

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Look like solid spots , yeah my second placement spot is no longer an option it sounds better stacked then one sub per corner . I happen to be sitting near the corner but in a null so it depends mostly on your mlp.
At least you got two options maybe you will figure out which corner is better??
Yeah I was told I may need to do the sub crawl method. Sounds kind of fun lol.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Corners are probably not the best spots in a room like this, though the crawl method will help. One under the desk on the left and one on the front wall could end up being your best options. This room will be an issue because those little nooks, if they are mostly open, will tend to create cancellation.

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Corners are probably not the best spots in a room like this, though the crawl method will help. One under the desk on the left and one on the front wall could end up being your best options. This room will be an issue because those little nooks, if they are mostly open, will tend to create cancellation.
I know those nooks are frustrating. I have a contractor coming out Friday to see if the part that sticks out on the top can be removed and made flush. I can’t do anything about the small open area by the staircase though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Staircase one, with what looks like a closet maybe, probably won't impact the listening area too much. The two behind likely will. Wall treatments and bass traps will probably help. The two spots where you show the possible sub locations are probably where bass traps would go, but I'd see how it does just with placement first. Stacked in one location might work too.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I was told I may need to do the sub crawl method. Sounds kind of fun lol.
Yeah I did sub crawl realized mlp was in a null so the room next to me hears more bass than I do !!!
89B255AC-A032-4738-9968-36C606376A29.jpeg

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
What if I embrace the nooks and put one sub in each nook behind the couch lol?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes nearfield can be a good thing in odd rooms....and may increase the tactile effect.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sometimes nearfield can be a good thing in odd rooms....and may increase the tactile effect.
Depends on your quality of sub I got no tactile from either of my 10” subs but then again I keep volume low and I’m sitting in a null. My 15” sub I feel no tactile in my bedroom but it rattles the walls .
What if I embrace the nooks and put one sub in each nook behind the couch lol?
Go for it I had a similar set up it didn’t work out because phase issues and my subs aren’t matching. My subs are actually right beside mlp in a corner . I got them both set up so it sounds like a single sub. Was a really challenging thing to do phase match with
No rew or measurement tools. Wimpy tuned down to 30-35 hz subs is what I’m stuck with I can’t fit my 15” one in my main tv room. We’re talking prob 200-300 watts total between two subs lol vs 500 wrms .

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would try turning the sofa and put the main speakers (subs could work there as well. I have mine near field and it gives me 2 other sweet spots in the room) etc. on the short wall. If the nooks are empty, and otherwise just there, I would fill them with padded arm chairs, book shelves or maybe bean bags. That way, perhaps the stairwell could absorb any bass buildup at the end of the room at worst.

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
I would try turning the sofa and put the main speakers (subs could work there as well. I have mine near field and it gives me 2 other sweet spots in the room) etc. on the short wall. If the nooks are empty, and otherwise just there, I would fill them with padded arm chairs, book shelves or maybe bean bags. That way, perhaps the stairwell could absorb any bass buildup at the end of the room at worst.
So I moved the subs to those two nooks, one in each. It sounds much better than when I had them in them in the front. Going to stick with that placement for now as it is at least bearable….but I think I need to go bigger subs in the near future.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis