Help picking speakers

E

Ecthelion

Audiophyte
I want to upgrade the speakers in my current home theater, and eventually upgrade my reciever. I need to know what speakers would work the best with my current Sony STR-DE875 reciever and also offer expandability for my future 7.1 reciever. I am currently using Sony MF 315s as my mains and the Sony SR 305 center and surrounds, as well as a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer. I am planning on buying a Yamaha 7.1 reciever within the next year or two.

My room is 14'x15' with 9' ceilings and wall to wall carpeting. I use my system for about 50% music (alternative rock, classical) and 50% movies/tv.

So what speakers would be my best bet? My budget is about $6-700 and I am planning on buying the speakers from a reputable online dealer (whichever one is cheaper). Is my current Sony reciever efficient enough to power decent speakers? Should I also replace my subwoofer? Or should I buy the reciever first and wait to buy speakers when I can afford them?

M

Mitchell Torres

Audioholic Intern
Well you may want to check out the JBL Northridge series at bhphotovideo.com full 5.1 set sub, front (bookshelves) surrounds (2 way bookshelves) center for $606.00 no tax free 3 day shipping, I was pricing the same speakers at Best Buy for over $1100.00

Just an idea.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
you can easily get by with both the surrounds and sub for the next couple of years. neither has to be voice-matched to the mains and center. the mains and center should be matched for a smooth flow of sound across the front as the action moves across the screen. the rears are usually far enough back that any mismatch in voice (or "timbre") really isn;t noticeable.

if you are looking for some decent stuff, you can pick up a set of Inifity Alpha 50's for $ 599 at crutchfield. Add in a Alpha Center for $ 149 and you get the Primus 150's for surrounds free. There's no charge for 3 day shipping. my Alpha 50's were very hissy (or sibilant I guess they call it) for the first few days. They loosened up after a few days of use and sound very clean and look great.

a second choice, if you want a complete system, go to accessories4less.com and look into their Mordaunt Short speaker packages. You can get a full set of the well-regarded 900-series speakers including a good sized sub for $ 750.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis