Help on building a in-wall AV rack

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Im getting ready to build my basement theater system for the first time. I think I have everything covered but Im trying to figure about the best way to build a in-wall AV rack. Here is what Im working with. I have the Denon AVR-4311ci, 7" H x 16" W x 17" D, a HTPC 7" H x 17" W x 17" D, PS3 slim 2.5" H x 11.5" W x 11.5" D, and a cable box Im not real sure the size but lets say its a little bigger than the PS3. Im thinking of having a cut out 4' H x 2' W x 2' D. other than that Im not sure if I will have enough room for cables and what not. Is there anything else I should take into account what I may need.

Thanks in advance

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Be sure to give proper consideration to ventilation. Leave room for future equipment additions. I would look for examples on this and other forums. Do a google image search for 'in wall av rack' and follow the pictures that look like what you want.

Are you putting this in a wall that you can access from the other side? I would give anything to have easy access to the back of my equipment.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Be sure to give proper consideration to ventilation. Leave room for future equipment additions. I would look for examples on this and other forums. Do a google image search for 'in wall av rack' and follow the pictures that look like what you want.

Are you putting this in a wall that you can access from the other side? I would give anything to have easy access to the back of my equipment.
Ive tried to do a ton of google searches but kinda hard to find a DIY AV rack example. I have tho seen a couple of pics on another forum and got my ideas from there.

I will be cutting a hole in the wall that will go into one of the basement bedrooms there for ill have good access to the back of the rack. I was also thinkn about putting some sort of door on it so it can hide it when in that bedroom but also allow ventilation too.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have installed a built in rack in my system. I do have access to the back of the unit to manage cables and such. Will you have access from the back? I built mine as a shelf setup first and then installed middle atlantic rails to give it a clean look.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I have installed a built in rack in my system. I do have access to the back of the unit to manage cables and such. Will you have access from the back? I built mine as a shelf setup first and then installed middle atlantic rails to give it a clean look.

Yes Ill have access in the back. Its kinda a new build in the basement do to the basement leaking. I had to take a lot of drywall down to find the crack and repair it. So I felt what better time to build my system since I had to replace drywall anyways. I felt that I would build an in-wall rack since everything was already opened up. I like what u did with urs that is what I was looking for was some good examples like that. Any thing to look out for when building it?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
If you are going to go with a middle atlantic type of rack I would say you have two choices. I built two 2x4 "walls" for the sides of the rack and then bolted the rails to that. You have to be very exact with the width to get the rails and shelves to fit perfectly. Alternatively you could just get a SLIM 5 rack and mount that on a platform to get the correct height and all of the other dimensions will be set for you.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
If you are going to go with a middle atlantic type of rack I would say you have two choices. I built two 2x4 "walls" for the sides of the rack and then bolted the rails to that. You have to be very exact with the width to get the rails and shelves to fit perfectly. Alternatively you could just get a SLIM 5 rack and mount that on a platform to get the correct height and all of the other dimensions will be set for you.
Ok I have some sort of a design set up. How do I put a pic in here to show my idea?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I use a web site of mine to store my photos and link them here. You can use picassa or flckr as well. If it is small enough you can use the attachments button on the tool bar as well.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
were u able to get them? man I need to learn how to do all this pic up load thing lol.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
For what I can see your plan should work fine. Rack rails are cheap. I think they were around $40/pair for 27U rails. Shelves are universal so you if you were not getting the custom face plates you can use shelves from monoprice or parts express.

If you are going to close off the back and sides then use a few large computer fans with a temp sensor to pull hot air out of the top. It will create a chimney effect to help keep them cool. If you are doing a finished from like mine then leave the back open and you should get enough air circulation.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I just hope I got the layout good enough so if i have to make a little adjustment then it will be no big deal.

Yes I plan on closing it up on the sides but on the back where the cables would go into the receiver and what not. I was wanting to put a louvered door of some sort to hid the back but also allow it to get some air too.

That is a good idea about the computer fan. I didn't really think about doing that.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Is there any other pointers that I might want to consider? If so please point them out so that I can make the best of my layout.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
WOW I knew I saw some pics somewhere but couldnt find them again and that is what Im kinda going to do myself. That looks like it will work great and very simple to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis