Help needed with Plex Client

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Nvidia Shield will not output 4K @60 Hz 4:4:4 12 bit. It can output 4:4:4 8 bit, 4:2:2 8 bit or 4:2:0 10 bit @60Hz. Just about the same goes for the Apple TV 4K. The Nvidia Shield supports bitstream of Dolby and DTS signals. The Apple TV converts everything to LPCM for output and does not support incoming DTS signals at all and they would have to be converted for output at the source.
According to Reddit, and Reddit always has the most accurate information (/s just in case): Shield TV indeed can't do 4:4:4 12bit in 4k 60fps due to the limitation of HDMI 2.0b. But it could do 4:4:4 12bit 4k at 24fps or at least should be possible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/ktu8zt/_/giogm8m
Here's spec sheet for shield tv pro:
It mentions these points:
Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10
Up to 4K HDR playback at 60 FPS (H.265/HEVC)
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through

Z

zambas

Enthusiast
The Samsung TV supports HDMI 2.1 and has full spec 48Gbps HDMI ports. The Denon supports HDMI 2.1 but is limited to 40Gbps and only on HDMI ports #4, #5 and #6. Ports #1, #2 and #3 are 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 ports that need to be in 4K Enhanced mode for deep color. HDMI 2.0b devices support 18Gbps. Passing 4k @60Hz HDR 4:4:4 12 Bit color will exceed the HDMI 2.0b bandwidth limit and color will be subsampled and bit depth will be lowered to fit within spec. Some devices will maintain color bit depth but lower resolution from 4K to 1080p if necessary.

The Nvidia Shield will not output 4K @60 Hz 4:4:4 12 bit. It can output 4:4:4 8 bit, 4:2:2 8 bit or 4:2:0 10 bit @60Hz. Just about the same goes for the Apple TV 4K. The Nvidia Shield supports bitstream of Dolby and DTS signals. The Apple TV converts everything to LPCM for output and does not support incoming DTS signals at all and they would have to be converted for output at the source.

Keep in mind that there are no TVs on the market with 12 bit panels to make the most of 12 bit color and even 4K discs feature 4:2:0 10 bit color @24Hz with only a couple of 60Hz exceptions. To get everything out of a TV supporting HDMI 2.1 @48Gbps, you'd have to have a device that also supports HDMI 2.1 @48Gbps to get an uncompressed 4k @120Hz 4:4:4 12 bit image to it and it would use up every bit of the available bandwidth.

Ultra Certified HDMI cables for systems supporting HDMI 2.1 features should be used throughout the entire system. This will not enhance signals from HDMI 2.0b devices but will communicate all signals to all devices without the kinds of issues that arise from using various kinds of HDMI cables with varying specs.
wow! thats a lot of usefull info Trebdp83.
So from what i gather, if we leave aside the VRR, 120hz and what else features for gaming, and if someone wants to send a 4.2.2 chroma, 10 bit, 4k resolution @ around 24hz with HDR file then it must be around the lower limit (but above v2. 0b) of HDMI v2. 1.
I dont deny im still confused.. this needs more reading and more thought to it.
There are also other issues about all this streaming business, for example an xbox one x (was using one at some time) it had a bug ( i know now) that it could passthrough any audio format as long as it was the first in line (in the mkv container). Any other audio after that it could only ask for a transcode

Z

zambas

Enthusiast
According to Reddit, and Reddit always has the most accurate information (/s just in case): Shield TV indeed can't do 4:4:4 12bit in 4k 60fps due to the limitation of HDMI 2.0b. But it could do 4:4:4 12bit 4k at 24fps or at least should be possible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/ktu8zt/_/giogm8m
Here's spec sheet for shield tv pro:
It mentions these points:
Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10
Up to 4K HDR playback at 60 FPS (H.265/HEVC)
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through
I think a shield tv is looking better and better.
Plus it has that sweet AI upscaling people keep drooling about.
And CEC compatibility.
Are you working at NVIDIA BoredSysAdmin?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think a shield tv is looking better and better.
Plus it has that sweet AI upscaling people keep drooling about.
And CEC compatibility.
Are you working at NVIDIA BoredSysAdmin?
No, but I wish :) I do own Nvidia shield tv pro 2019, which I bought several years ago.
Maybe it doesn't have all the latest checkmarks, but so far I haven't been disappointed yet.
Speaking of AI upscaling, I saw how an ancient and unrestored 480p video from the late 1970s looked jaw-dropping sharp on my 1080p panel while played on shield tv pro. But it result heavily depends on both source quality and your panel. Don't expect much magic playing 4k videos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I cannot get my Nvidia Shield TV Pro to output 4:4:4 12 bit @24Hz and it isn't even available for selection when enabling all 152 output options. By default, it will output 4:2:0 10 bit SDR and passthrough HDR10 4:2:0 10 bit. It does not support HDR10+ while the Apple TV 4K Gen 3 supports HDR10+. If enabling Dolby Vision for passthrough in the Nvidia Shield TV Pro, it will be output in RGB 4:4:4 8 bit by default and everything else will change to 4:2:2 8 bit. Dolby Vision cannot be selected for output of everything like in the Apple TV 4K. The AI Upscaling in the Nvidia Shield TV Pro looks somewhat over processed for 4K content and I leave upscaling at the Basic setting as there is no OFF setting.

Z

zambas

Enthusiast
My denon receiver also upscales to 8k! and does a pretty good job tbh.
My media are all 1080p and better so they have the juice to be good looking to a 4k panel when they pass through a decent upscaler and nowadays with AI are all superb.
So all machines have their issues is what i understand so far lol..

Z

zambas

Enthusiast
Looking at that zidoo z9x pro 8k ( must be the newer version), its really advertised like it can play anything and everything..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis