Help Needed - Please, random noise from speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, first step get that Panamax out of there.

Have you checked out all of your cables?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
thanks a lot.

I have ordered a monolith 5x today. I could also pickup a brand new furman at my local bestbuy or another Panamax and test.
I’m really afraid that my system is bad. I have 60 days return policy with Best Buy since I’m a total tech support member.
Is really frustrating when you have saved everything to get a better system and this happens.

I just hope I don’t have to break the house to install a dedicated line just for the home theater.

thanks
A power surge protector should add nothing to the sound, good or bad. I have never heard one do that in the decades I have seen/used them.

Does it make that sound when you change to a different source input? You need to do that. Also, and I know it may be a pain, you need to disconnect all of the sources and use only one for testing. If it still makes this sound, your AVR has a problem. If it doesn't make this sound when selecting ALL inputs, pick one (BD, Cable box, etc) and connect it to each input and listen. If that one doesn't cause the noise, pick another source and try that in all inputs. If it doesn't make the sound with only one source device, leave one connected and add another. Continue adding devices until the sound occurs and find out why.

This is the only way to find the source of the noise if you don't have test equipment.

highfigh

highfigh

You can google Amir’s YouTube’s and his reviews and decide for yourself. Surge suppression with a UPS seems popular and thoughtful as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A UPS will do absolutely nothing to help this and he already has a Panamax power protector.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
A UPS will do absolutely nothing to help this and he already has a Panamax power protector.
Sorry for the confusion. He asked about other recommendations earlier should it prove to go away if the Panamax was removed. Also it is on all channels and he uses two sources for movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I disagree strongly. Those type of units if they malfunction could easily add noise to the AC. The fact this is ALL channels makes me suspicious of that Panamax.

I really don't like those sort of units. UPS units coupled with whole house surge protection give by far the best and safest protection. With his very large investment, he does need top of the line protection. It works the best when you have separates, as power amps should not be connected to any type of protective device, other than whole house surge protection. Power amps with there highly variable power draw which is large at times, are not good candidates for any complex protective devices.

A UPS is the way to go, as they almost instantaneously totally isolate protected devices form the AC supply. They let you know when the AC is out of spec. They saved me thousands a few years back and also my neighbors, when a regulator in the neighborhood failed.

Absolutely high end systems and really most systems need protection by whole house surge protection and UPS to vulnerable units, which means everything except power amps. This is another strike against receivers.

In my HT room, the three racks have a UPS of appropriate power at the bottom of the rack. There are power strips at the back of the racks, that all protected equipment are connected to. This includes the TV, supplied by the UPS in the first AV rack. The router, Ethernet patch bay and hubs are also protected. The power amp case has two circuits directly connected to the panel. The amps are stated from 24 volt relays.

This is a really good installation design and extremely stable. I have used this architecture for 17 years now. It is time tested and passes with flying colors. It is not overkill and what is absolutely required for a professionally designed high investment installation.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, I have never heard a noise like that from an audio system before, and I was a repair tech for 7 years. I would approach this by process of elimination.

You don't need the Panamax to run the system so I would remove it and see if that cures the problem, since it seems to be pretty consistent and is in all channels. If the noise persists with all components plugged directly into the wall, then you need to narrow down which component is the source.

If the source was your Plex streamer or disc player, then the volume of the noise would adjust with your pre-amp volume control. You could disconnect the cables from the streamer or disc player to test that. Unplug them from the pre-amp side, not the source side. You want to avoid having cables connected to the pre-amp inputs with nothing connected to the other end. I would also try turning off the screen or disconnecting its cables as well while the noise is audible to see if something is feeding back form the screen. If there is an issue with the screen, it could produce RF interference that the pre-amp would pick up.

If the volume of the noise is fixed, then either the pre-amp or amp is picking up the noise. If it still happens with the Panamax removed, unplug the audio cables from the Rotel amp (the amp side, not the pre-amp side). If the noise persists, the amp is picking up the noise, otherwise the pre-amp or cabling is picking up the noise. You can also use any other amp or receiver to eliminate the amp as the source. If you don't have a spare amp but have an older receiver, you can run the L+R from the pre-amp into an Aux input for testing.

highfigh

highfigh

I disagree strongly. Those type of units if they malfunction could easily add noise to the AC. The fact this is ALL channels makes me suspicious of that Panamax.

I really don't like those sort of units. UPS units coupled with whole house surge protection give by far the best and safest protection. With his very large investment, he does need top of the line protection. It works the best when you have separates, as power amps should not be connected to any type of protective device, other than whole house surge protection. Power amps with there highly variable power draw which is large at times, are not good candidates for any complex protective devices.

A UPS is the way to go, as they almost instantaneously totally isolate protected devices form the AC supply. They let you know when the AC is out of spec. They saved me thousands a few years back and also my neighbors, when a regulator in the neighborhood failed.

Absolutely high end systems and really most systems need protection by whole house surge protection and UPS to vulnerable units, which means everything except power amps. This is another strike against receivers.

In my HT room, the three racks have a UPS of appropriate power at the bottom of the rack. There are power strips at the back of the racks, that all protected equipment are connected to. This includes the TV, supplied by the UPS in the first AV rack. The router, Ethernet patch bay and hubs are also protected. The power amp case has two circuits directly connected to the panel. The amps are stated from 24 volt relays. Just like your

This is a really good installation design and extremely stable. I have used this architecture for 17 years now. It is time tested and passes with flying colors. It is not overkill and what is absolutely required for a professionally designed high investment installation.
Since you didn't bother to look at the info for that particular Panamax, here it is, complete with line voltage and current indication right on the front-

The photo of the rear shows a pair of outlets marked 'RECEIVER' and 'SUB/AMP' with 'High Current' nearby. These have little/no protection because they too know that current limiting occurs when using surge protection for these devices. It also has protection for the cable/phone/Lan 1 & Lan 2. The only thing it doesn't have is UPS and that can be added.

Marketing comments aside, Panamax & Furman makes good products- I use a Panamax because it stops over/under voltage from killing my equipment and I have posted several times that a Furman kept a fairly large/elaborate system safe during a thunderstorm during which lightning struck just outside of the house and I heard a loud snap sound in the room where the equipment lives. That was years ago and none of it has needed replacement.

I understand how power protection should be implemented but I have yet to hear any kind of sound come from any device of this type, cheap or expensive. I have, however, heard a baseball game broadcast from a local radio station through a Munster power strip, using their own Dr Noise device that was sold to dealers as a way to sell their crap- that was before anyone posted YouTube videos of them burning up with 200V input. I also know that some of the products out there are garbage but while your preference for APC is valid, others are capable of the same performance.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, the AVR needs to be isolated from everything except the speakers (including the Panamax). Add one source, connect it to all inputs possible and check for the noise. If it proves to be the Panamax, so be it.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Hey guys I'm sorry for the delay. I finally got an electrician here and what he found is that the white wire on the breaker for that particular room was just sitting inside of the breaker and it was overheating the wire and creating bubbles. Everything was replaced and so far nothing wrong with the system.

Thanks to audioholics family from helping. You guys are amazing.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hey guys I'm sorry for the delay. I finally got an electrician here and what he found is that the white wire on the breaker for that particular room was just sitting inside of the breaker and it was overheating the wire and creating bubbles. Everything was replaced and so far nothing wrong with the system.

Thanks to audioholics family from helping. You guys are amazing.
Thanks for taking the time to update us. If the neutral was not tightened down and arcing that would explain it. You are very lucky that it did not start a fire. Good call getting an electrician in to look at it.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to update us. If the neutral was not tightened down and arcing that would explain it. You are very lucky that it did not start a fire. Good call getting an electrician in to look at it.
Thanks a lot. I was really frustrated and now I'm hoping everything is fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis