Help needed in placement of the Center Channel Def Tech CLR 2500

A

arunvb

Enthusiast
I have a 60" Sony LCD RPTV that sits on Sony Glass TV Stand (SUGW12).

The set up looks like the one in the picture below :

The bottom shelf in the TV stand is the only place where I can fit the CLR 2500. The bottom shelf height is around 8.5" and the height of CLR 2500 is 6.75". The CLR 2500 has 2 5.25" midrange drivers on the front and an 8" powered sub wooder on its top.

Given that :

1. After I place the CLR 2500 in the shelf the that gap between the top of the speaker and the top shelf is less than 2",
2. The CLR 2500 has a powered subwoofer on its top and
3. The stand is made of glass,

is it still a good idea to place the speaker in the stand ? If so, what else can I do to reduce the reflections / vibration for the glass ?

One alternative I was thinking was to place the speaker on the top of the TV. But I am not sure if I can do that since the TV does not a large flat top, tapers on the back and the CLR 2500 is 23-1/2" W x 6-3/4" H x 14-1/16" D and I am sure it is quite heavy because of the two 5.25" and one 8" drivers. Are there any platforms available to accomodate this kind of a big and heavy speaker on the top of a TV?

What are the other options / suggestions to solve this ?

Also, what are the options if I use CLR 3000 instead of CLR 2500. CLR 3000 is even bigger (25" W x 8-5/16" H x 16" D) and heavier with a 10" sub instead of 8".

Sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Arun

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
arunvb said:
I have a 60" Sony LCD RPTV that sits on Sony Glass TV Stand (SUGW12).

The set up looks like the one in the picture below :

The bottom shelf in the TV stand is the only place where I can fit the CLR 2500. The bottom shelf height is around 8.5" and the height of CLR 2500 is 6.75". The CLR 2500 has 2 5.25" midrange drivers on the front and an 8" powered sub wooder on its top.

Given that :

1. After I place the CLR 2500 in the shelf the that gap between the top of the speaker and the top shelf is less than 2",
2. The CLR 2500 has a powered subwoofer on its top and
3. The stand is made of glass,

is it still a good idea to place the speaker in the stand ? If so, what else can I do to reduce the reflections / vibration for the glass ?

One alternative I was thinking was to place the speaker on the top of the TV. But I am not sure if I can do that since the TV does not a large flat top, tapers on the back and the CLR 2500 is 23-1/2" W x 6-3/4" H x 14-1/16" D and I am sure it is quite heavy because of the two 5.25" and one 8" drivers. Are there any platforms available to accomodate this kind of a big and heavy speaker on the top of a TV?

What are the other options / suggestions to solve this ?

Also, what are the options if I use CLR 3000 instead of CLR 2500. CLR 3000 is even bigger (25" W x 8-5/16" H x 16" D) and heavier with a 10" sub instead of 8".

Sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Arun
I have the same problem. I made a shelf that fit over the TV, and put my center on top. I wouldn't put it under there like that. You would need a ton of dampening material in there.

S

s2pdname

Junior Audioholic
I have a DLP that would not support the weight of my center channel. I mounted a small tv shelf to the wall immediately behind the tv. If you do the measuring correctly, the stand and mounting bracket are virtually hidden by the speaker.

http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt521.htm

S

steve simko

Audiophyte
CLR 2500 or 3000

You will need to install a small shelf behind and slightly above the TV. Make sure you use heavy duty brackets into studs to carry the load. You might consider lowering the TV a few inches(3-5) for better localization of dialog.

I'm not allowed to post a thread so........Does anybody know if I can use my USA audio equipment (110v-60HZ) in New Zealand(230v -50HZ) with a voltage converter?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
steve simko said:
You will need to install a small shelf behind and slightly above the TV. Make sure you use heavy duty brackets into studs to carry the load. You might consider lowering the TV a few inches(3-5) for better localization of dialog.

I'm not allowed to post a thread so........Does anybody know if I can use my USA audio equipment (110v-60HZ) in New Zealand(230v -50HZ) with a voltage converter?

Yes you can use it in NZ. As long as you don't try to use a 60Hz power conditioner.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis