HELP!!! need to build a system

J

jlmacker

Audiophyte
Anyone, I need some help to build a system. I was blessed to have been given some very nice equiptment to start me in the right track.

I was given a set of aerial acoustics 10t speakers and a cc3 center speaker.

Also was given 2 amps one LLANO design trinity 300-3 and a proceed 5 channel amp.

I have no idea how to set this equiptment up and what else i need to set up a good home theater.

I have a tight budget, and no way would have purchased this equiptment.

What do i need and how much will i have to spend to make this stuff work

please email me at jlmacker69@hotmail.com with any help

thank you

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
jlmacker said:
Anyone, I need some help to build a system. I was blessed to have been given some very nice equiptment to start me in the right track.

I was given a set of aerial acoustics 10t speakers and a cc3 center speaker.

Also was given 2 amps one LLANO design trinity 300-3 and a proceed 5 channel amp.

I have no idea how to set this equiptment up and what else i need to set up a good home theater.

I have a tight budget, and no way would have purchased this equiptment.

What do i need and how much will i have to spend to make this stuff work

please email me at jlmacker69@hotmail.com with any help

thank you
I wish I could find a guardian angel like yours to send one of these sets my way. :( This is my dream speaker setup. I've been in love with Aerials since first glance.

Can you get any help from your benefactor? He/she obviously knew his/her equipment...and had some money to spend.

Tell us about your room size and other salient information. Will you be using it primarily for music or home theater? Will you want to use it for 5.1 or 7.1 surround HT? How much do you have to spend? If you just want to fire up the speakers, you'll need some cabling, a preamp/processor, and a source (tv, cd player, etc.). Maybe we can help.

J

jlmacker

Audiophyte
rjbudz said:
I wish I could find a guardian angel like yours to send one of these sets my way. :( This is my dream speaker setup. I've been in love with Aerials since first glance.

Can you get any help from your benefactor? He/she obviously knew his/her equipment...and had some money to spend.

Tell us about your room size and other salient information. Will you be using it primarily for music or home theater? Will you want to use it for 5.1 or 7.1 surround HT? How much do you have to spend? If you just want to fire up the speakers, you'll need some cabling, a preamp/processor, and a source (tv, cd player, etc.). Maybe we can help.

Answers to your reply

Yes, my guardian angel offered his help, but he is very busy, and I don't want to bother him. The room size is 12 x 25. I would like to use it for a home theater. 5.1, 7.1, surround HT, I have no preference, scince I don't know the difference. I have alot of cables that came with the speakers. I know I need a pre-amp, but I have no idea how to hook anything up, or what the pre amp needs to have. I don't think my souces I have now(receiver, DVD, cd player) are equipted to handle these speakers. How much will I need to spend to get this equiptment to work? Not an exact amount, roughly?

Thank you for your time.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Pre Amp

A Yamaha RX-V2500 would make a good pre-amp for your new system for about $6-700. If you don't have that kind of money, consider selling one of the amps or some of the exotic cables on audiogon to finance the purchase.

All that great gear is worthless if you can't hook it up.
Read all the primers on audioholics about connecting your system, but here is the basic idea:
Sources (CD, DVD, etc.) to receiver
Receiver pre-amp outputs to amplifiers
Amplifiers to speakers.

If you don't have one already, you might consider some a decent power center of surge protector to power your new gear. Check out the APC H10.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You can use a cheap source with your setup, but you will hear the cheapness. To match the quality of your system you will need a nice DVD player, a preamp/processor, and perhaps some other cables (as I don't know what you have. If you have a digital camera, fire it up and post some pictures on a photobucket account.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
What JcPanny means is to look here - http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php
As far as powering the speakers the amps you have will certainly be fine for that.
You could even go as low as 280.00 for a pre-amp receiver.
Say something like this - http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PioneerVSX-815ReceiverReview1.php

But with that kind of equipment, most of us would opt for much nicer equipment to run that equipment.
Something in the starting lines of this - http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

Or much more expensive this - http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_SHCSp.html

However a better figure on what you may want to spend - could help us narrow it down a tad.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
JLM....

If you're looking for a ballpark dollar amount, I'd guess you don't have much to spend. As the man said, "If you have to ask...". But here is my take....

Unless we can see pictures of your cables, some of which may be expensive and useful, you'll have a fee of minimally a couple hundred dollars for power/surge handling and interconnect cables. I'm going to assume you have a source, such as a tv and cd/dvd player, vcr. (If not, add a couple hundred for a good cd/dvd, and couple of grand for a decent tv.) You'll also need surround speakers to turn your lovely 10Ts and CC3 into 5 channel or 7 channel HT. If you want to match the Aerials, you're looking at (minimally if you buy used speakers on ..say.. Audiogon.com) $1,500 for just two surrounds. I believe you will not need a subwoofer with the 10Ts as they dig WAY deep. For new Aerial prices you can look at www.aerialacoustics.com. You could use other, cheaper speakers for surrounds, but I would try to match sound profiles of those as closely as possible with the Aerials (crossover points, driver types, etc.), and like the potential use of ACI speakers, won't be cheap. Finally, you will need a receiver or pre-pro to guide everything. You'll get what you pay for with this element, but I'd consider $500 as an absolute minimum base.

So, depending upon what you have in the way of equipment now, and how much you want to spend to make it a home theater, my ballpark guess for your starting point would be around $2,500, which could probably include shipping. And that would be sort of on the cheap.

Or alternatively, you can send them my way, and I'll find a good home for those 3 speakers!! :) :) :)

This isn't an inexpensive hobby, my friend...as we all have learned (and my wife reminds me of, constantly, :( )

Happy hunting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis