Help me setup outdoor speakers

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
Your surround speakers have absolutely nothing to do with the outdoor speakers.
oh are the zones on separate circuits? I assumed if I’m sending power to the main zone, then any more power being sent to another zone is increasing the strain on the amp in total. Or is strain on an amp a channel by channel thing?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
oh are the zones on separate circuits? I assumed if I’m sending power to the main zone, then any more power being sent to another zone is increasing the strain on the amp in total. Or is strain on an amp a channel by channel thing?
The channels AND zones are separate circuits. One channel shouldn't affect the whole thing, but it's easier to shut the whole thing down when there's a problem. Losing one channel may not be noticeable under normal conditions but if the whole thing shuts off, it's the equivalent of being beaten over the head to get someone's attention.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
It sounds like you are thinking correctly. The more channels active on the AVR the higher the demand on the amplifier.

All your speakers look like a fairly easy load at 8 ohms and fairly efficient. I think you will be ok. You could consider putting a little cooling fan in place for the receiver. It would not hurt. It is a cheap and easy option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

It sounds like you are thinking correctly. The more channels active on the AVR the higher the demand on the amplifier.

All your speakers look like a fairly easy load at 8 ohms and fairly efficient. I think you will be ok. You could consider putting a little cooling fan in place for the receiver. It would not hurt. It is a cheap and easy option.

It's not one amplifier, it's one amplifier per channel. None of the channels affects the others, other than placing demand on the same power supply.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well that is true. But all channels powered do not perform the same as 2 channels. They will be reduced in total output capability.

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
Hi again.

I'm considering a 4 speaker option (2 stereo pairs) outside now and looking at some speaker selectors like this one.

I don't understand how this product works. If it's not adding any amplification, then is it still safe on my amp? And is it just reducing the amount of power by splitting it?

For example, if I have 2 zones active -- and my amp is 75 watts per channel -- then am I now maxing out at 37.5 watts per channel?

Separate question: If i wanted to instead run two mono speakers from my zone 2, is there a piece of gear that converts speaker signals to mono? (My AVR doesn't have the option to output Zone 2 in mono mode)

Thanks!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If I read your stereo receiver info right it can not output digital inputs to zone 2. So if you are going to hook up via RCA cable I believe you can use cables that can combine a stereo out put to mono. Then split the mono to a left and right mono input so both plugs a get the same input. I have never done this but it seems like it should work.

highfigh

highfigh

Well that is true. But all channels powered do not perform the same as 2 channels. They will be reduced in total output capability.

The two channel vs all channels driven is purely a matter of power supply capability.

highfigh

highfigh

If I read your stereo receiver info right it can not output digital inputs to zone 2. So if you are going to hook up via RCA cable I believe you can use cables that can combine a stereo out put to mono. Then split the mono to a left and right mono input so both plugs a get the same input. I have never done this but it seems like it should work.

Combining stereo outputs to mono with a y-cord isn't the right thing to do- if it can be done by changing a setting, that's fine but electrically, it's not the correct way-

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Gotcha. However his receiver will not allow this option in settings. So if I understand it he needs external solution to the receiver.

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
I'm considering a 4 speaker option (2 stereo pairs) outside now and looking at some speaker selectors like this one.

I don't understand how this product works. If it's not adding any amplification, then is it still safe on my amp? And is it just reducing the amount of power by splitting it?

For example, if I have 2 zones active -- and my amp is 75 watts per channel -- then am I now maxing out at 37.5 watts per channel?
What about going this route, not mono, but 2 stereo channels, with the speaker selector?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis