Help me save my money

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am getting ripped off due to in-store credit because I am beholden to spend $650.00 at this store in Seattle, so I was going to buy an a/v receiver from them. Here are the best options,

Yamaha HTR-5890 = $650.00
Yamaha HTR-5860 = $430.00
H/K AVR 635 = $850.00
H/K AVR 335 = $600.00

They don’t sell H/K AVR 435 or it is not in stock. I guess it would be priced somewhere between the 635 and 335 if it was available.

I have gone through the manuals for HTR 5890 and AVR 635, and I like the HTR better. But the differences are minor and the only thing I can hold against the HTR 5890 is that it has only 2 component inputs while the AVR 635 has 3. Here are the other differences I noticed,

1) HTR 5890 has 120 W into 8 ohm 0.04% THD (all channels driven)
AVR 635 has 75W into 8 ohm 0.07% THD (all channels driven)

2) HTR 5890 has 5Hz to 60MHz (-3dB) bandwidth (component video)
AVR 635 has 10Hz to 50MHz (-3dB) bandwidth (component video)

3) HTR 5890 has 7 (4 Toslink, 3 Coax) digital audio inputs
AVR 635 has 6 (3 Toslink, 3 Coax) digital audio inputs

I am going to get Axiom Epic 60 Home Theater speakers, if it matters. They are not anticipating any new models so there is no point waiting for something better. Any input to help decide which one to pick will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
They're both good recievers. Most people would agree that the HK is more conservatively rated in terms of power, so it's probably equivalent to the Yamaha. I would say go with the one that does all the things you want and leaves you some room for upgrades. Also, try to go in and play with the remotes and setup steps. You might find that one is a pain in the butt, while the other is smooth like silk.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Only the m80's are 4ohms, the m60's should do fine.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Ahh, Nomas we meet again. Post deleted due to correction from "Mr Corrector". Lol.

Either of those amps should inded drive the 60's very well.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Although I own a Denon, I have serious HK envy. Given the choices above, I'd go with the 635.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
This will surprise you guys, but I think I'd opt for the 5890 here. I don't hold the HK635 in the same league as I do the 7200/7300 series. That $850 price tag is approaching the ebay deals for the 7200, and there is no contest. I've thoroughly looked at the 5790 a few weeks ago, and was quite impressed at the build quality, and "beefiness" of that unit. Would it happen to be CC or BB? How about a nice kegerator?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis