Help me pick a reciever

D

Dumb-rod

Enthusiast
I was origionally going to buy a Sony ES 3000 model, but I've read that people aren't impressed with the es line on this forum.

I'm able to get that one for about $700. Would there be a better choice for around the same money? I just saw the review on the Yamaha RX-V2500. Would that be better?

I love sony, but I want the best. Lemme know your thoughts

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
What really matters is what you think sounds good to your ears. If you have listened to the Sony and like it buy it. I'd also listen to HK, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer in that price range.

Excuse me a moment while I Sony bash :D I've owned a Sony receiver before and did not care for the sound from it. That was ten years ago and the new ES line should be an improvement from what I owned, at least I hope so. Sony makes great display devices, especially if you like to pay more for the same quality that you can get from other manufacturers. :eek: And I love their digital reproduction electronics, DVD and CD players. :) But their audio line does not have the best reputation for sound quality. In the end most of the mid-fi receivers are going to sound very similar. So go listen to several receivers and then decide.

T

Topper

Enthusiast
I've just installed a new system. The receiver is a Yamaha RX V-2500 and I think that it's awesome! It was easy to set up and it has a nice menu system. The sound is great and it has plenty of power to run the speakers. The speakers are Mirage Omnipolars. Om-9 fronts, Om-CC center, OM-R2 mids, OM-60 rears and a Velodyne DLS-375 sub (plaster cracker). It produces great sound!
Topper

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
The Sony ES series is considered their best equipment and has an extraordinary long warranty.

As note before, the sound from most similarly priced equipment is going to have relatively the same quality. There are claims regarding sound emphasis... this receiver is bright... that receiver is laidback, but the bottom line is that your speakers and room will have a significantly greater impact on the sound than the brand of receiver. When there is an actual difference in the sound emphasis, the difference will actually be relatively small, and may not even be decernable in an A/B comparision, and infact may be from a slight difference in the volume levels, or noise leakage from the tuner and other internal components, versus an acutal sound difference.

plhart

Audioholic
The Sony ES series is considered their best equipment and has an extraordinary long warranty.

As note before, the sound from most similarly priced equipment is going to have relatively the same quality. There are claims regarding sound emphasis... this receiver is bright... that receiver is laidback, but the bottom line is that your speakers and room will have a significantly greater impact on the sound than the brand of receiver. When there is an actual difference in the sound emphasis, the difference will actually be relatively small, and maybe not even be discernable in an A/B comparision, and in fact may be from a slight difference in the volume levels, or noise leakage from the tuner and other internal components, versus an acutal sound difference.

An excellent and very accurate response. Once you get past the power and the feature set is okay, I always recommend that the purchase of a receiver from name brand companies based on the remote control that is easiest for you and a significant other to operate. The remote is your interface. It is your keyboard. The easier it is to operate the receiver from the remote the more happy you'll be with the unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis