Help me pick a new Surround System - $2000 budget.

J

jad

Enthusiast
Howdy folks,

I've lurked around here for a while, as I did research for a new sound system. I have a budget of around 2000 and i'm intersted in any of your suggestions for what I should do.

I was perviously interested in a theatre setup of JBL Northridge series. However, the only place to purchase these in my area is from Best Buy. I know a lot of folks on here are into self install, and would tell anyone to learn how to do it themselves and not pay for a home install. Unfortunately the whole process is extremely intimidating to me, and I really don't have the time. I would prefer to pay someone to install it for me. Anyway, I previously purchased a tv from best buy, along with their warranty. I've had some recent problems with my tv, and the way it's been handled by Best Buy has really pissed me off, so I'm looking into other options for my surround speaker solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what they would look into, if they had a 2000 budget for a 5 speaker surround system.

Matt34

Matt34

Is this budget just for speakers or including the purchase of a A/V receiver? What size room and do you want to go 5.1 or 7.1?

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I'd tell ya to pick a nice Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha receiver in the $500-$700 range, assuming you have the TV and DVD player already. For speakers the SVS 5.1 system for $900 or the SVS PB10 with 5 Ascend CBM-170s that should run you close to $1200 for that setup, figure out what cables you need and you should be close to your budget. Hook it up yourself, shouldn't take more than the time to watch a movie and you'll learn from the experience. If you can hook up a computer with all the peripherals you can hook up a surround sound system. That should give you one hell of a system that would be tough to beat without spending alot more money.

Steve

J

jad

Enthusiast
Matt34 said:
Is this budget just for speakers or including the purchase of a A/V receiver? What size room and do you want to go 5.1 or 7.1?
The budget would include an A/V receiver as well. Although i'm willing to go a little higher than 2000. I am interested in 7.1 in case I want to upgrade later. I'd estimate the room size around 15 x 20, not very big.

Thanks to the member above also for your suggestions. I think the things that intimidate me about the hook up is making sure I get the right kind of connections to get the most of of my system and the money I spend. I'm not very familiar with digital optical outputs and what not.

Another concern of mine is the warranty. Does anyone on here purchase extended warranties? Aren't most manufacurer warranties usually a 90 day standard?

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Extended warranties aren't worth the money you spend on them, they are just extra profit for the stores. From what I've seen most of the receivers in the price range you'll be in should have at least a 1 year warranty and in a few cases as much as 3 years, basically nullifying that extended warranty anyway, if it doesn't break in that time period it will most likely die of old age. I wouldn't worry too much about the connections, use either optical or coax digital for your audio, component for you video if possible, s-video if not. Try to keep your cable runs to a minimum, I normally get everything in place to see how long a cable I'll need before I buy them when possible, with most runs this helps to keep things tidy more than anything else.

Steve

Matt34

Matt34

I'd also look at Axiom audio. They are only internet direct but have a 30day trial period so if you are unsatisfied with them you can send em back. The SVS system that was mentioned earlier has received some good early reviews from people that have made the purchase.

I'd spilt you purchase cost at roughly $400-600 on the reciever and $1000-1400 on speakers. There are alot of choices within those limits to get a quality system for almost any room. Do a couple searches on this site for "_____ budget system" and check out Audioholics own "Our Picks on What to Buy"http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/index.php

I'd expect to pay around $250 for speaker wire, cables and other interconnects if your starting from scratch.

From what I have read the Yamaha VX-2600 is quite the receiver. I just picked up last years model Harmon Kardon AVR 330 and love it. The Pioneer 1015tx has been the "talk of the town" for quite awhile.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If you have a Tweeter store near by they will do installation for you.

J

jad

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions. That Pioneer receiver does sound very good from the reviews I just read. It's a shame that it doesn't include HDMI inputs, but really the only item I have that uses hdmi, is my dvd player, so that can go into the single slot direct on my hdtv.

I still am looking at the JBL northridge, as I've been pretty impressed with the sound i've heard from them so far. Atleast some of your comments on here have encouraged me to consider setting the system up myself, or atleast with the help of some friends that know this better than I do.

Thanks again!

T

t3031999

Audioholic
With a 2000 dollar budget I would recommend Ascend Acoustics speakers.

Fronts: CBM-170 for just HT (CMT-340 if you listen to a lot of 2 channel music)

Center: CMT-340C

Surrounds: CBM-170 (for multichannel music) or HTM-200 for HT only.

Sub: You can get HSU subs straight from Ascend, I would recommend the STF-2 or better, the sub can make or break the system, so get as much as your budget and other (size,WAF, etc.) constraints allow.

Receiver: I would recommend the Yamaha HTR series, or the pioneer 1015tx, you can also get Harman Kardon receivers straight from Ascend.

You will also need a DVD/Universal player and all the associated cables.

My suggestions are research a lot and listen to everything in your budget (maybe even outside your budget so you get an idea of what you like).
You might also want to think about buying a receiver and dvd player and spending the rest of your current budget on front speakers. and get the rest later. It will give you a better system in the long run.

But seriously, Listen To Everything. Ascend has a 30 day in home trial if you want to listen to them.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
You say that you can go a little higher than $2000, then here is my recommendation....

Pioneer vsx-1015tx
Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30 system. You should be able to pick that system up for around $2400. That would really be a killer system. The wood veneer on the Wharfedales is very nice, the sound even better.

Here is a review of the speaker system.
www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_id=3&article_id=481&page_number=3&preview=

the revi3w is called 6 easy pieces.

IF you have problems locating the speakers, send me a pm, I can put you in touch with an authorized dealer.

This doesn't include cables.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis