HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE PLEASE!ONKYO or YAMAHA or ?

P

PhilV91

Audioholic Intern
I've decided on the speaker system i want. The specs for each speaker are:

ph: 10-175w
imp: 6 ohms nominal
eff 90db

I plan on hooking up PS3, Sony 1080p LCD, CD, Karaoke and HD cable

my budget for receiver is $400-$600 range. The 606 is $400 the 706 is $600 and i saw the 806 for $30 more. I also saw the new Yamaha RX-V663 for $500. Which one of these will be the best for my budget plus meet the needs for driving my speakers above and inputs i need? Or if you no of another brand in my budget feel free to chime in!

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
According to AVS members and myself with my Onkyo 805, the Onkyos are having issues. I have never had any problems with my denon 4802R or my Denon 3808 whatsoever, So I would highly recommend the B-Stock from Dakmart also. Just a qualit reciever. Yammies also rate very high and are coveted by their owners, I just am leary of their power outputs with all channels driven. Accoridng to S&V they rate pretty low when all channels are driven.

P

PhilV91

Audioholic Intern
what about if your just going to use the 663 for a 5.1 setup?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, the 663 falls a little short when all channels are driven simultaneously, but in a real world situation, their power output is enough. However their upper end receivers like the RX-V1800, 1900, 3800, etc... meet their power output specs. I know the yamaha units also have preamp outputs so an external amp can always be added later. I'm not sure if the Onkyo receivers have preamp outputs or not.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Glock, the 606 does not have preouts, but the 706 and the 806 does.

P

PhilV91

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, the 663 falls a little short when all channels are driven simultaneously, but in a real world situation, their power output is enough. However their upper end receivers like the RX-V1800, 1900, 3800, etc... meet their power output specs. I know the yamaha units also have preamp outputs so an external amp can always be added later. I'm not sure if the Onkyo receivers have preamp outputs or not.
I just cant afford much more than 600 im spending 1400 on my speaker system and the wife is already pissed lol. Whats my best solution for up to 600.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the RX-V663 does have preamp outputs, I'm using them on mine, but I probably don't even need it. The only reason I'm using an external amp for my fronts is because I got the amp for free from my dad.

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
I am sorry to tag along on a thread, but as many of you know I am also looking for a new reciever... I found a Pioneer VSX 1017TXV, but I am totally confused, can someone recomend a AVR close to $300, I don't mind buying b stock. I am going to connect a PS3 and a pair of Beheringer 2030's and possibly a polk sub. you advice is very appericated.

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
SO what do you think about the Marantz 5001, the Pio 1017TXV, and the Denon AVR 1804??? I appreciate the links, but I am not sure what I am looking for/at, I am kind of shopping by price, and not sure "for the price" which one would suite me better.

T

Trouble Maker

Audiophyte
I am sorry to tag along on a thread, but as many of you know I am also looking for a new reciever... I found a Pioneer VSX 1017TXV, but I am totally confused, can someone recomend a AVR close to $300, I don't mind buying b stock. I am going to connect a PS3 and a pair of Beheringer 2030's and possibly a polk sub. you advice is very appericated.
Watch Amazon for a week or two. You should see the 606 for $350 at some point. I picked it up for $360 (from J&R via amazon). I went through Amazon because I had a $50 gift certificate to them, but every time I looked everywhere and Amazon, Amazon either meet or beat everywhere else. That is if you are able to go to $350ish. Or like Klix 58 said, go refurb.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Another viote for the Yamaha 663. It has all the connections you need including pre-out coupled with bullet proof reliability. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis