Help me figure out what I need!

S

swede

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi all,

I am looking to get a 6.1 receiver, my first real 6.1 system.  I am deciding between the onkyo SR501, SR601, or the SONY DE895 or DE995, or the Panasonic SA-HE100 (the ubiquituos Consumer Reports &quot;Best Buy&quot;).

I have speakers in 2 rooms, and I am wondering if I should pay up for the multi-zone feature.  Is this basically like an A/B switch, except with seperate sources for each set of speakers?

Also, do I need a digital audio out?  The only thing I can think of is it might be a neat toy to run audio into my computer, but asside from that I don't know if I'd ever use it.

Thanks for your help!</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Of those?  Definitely the Onkyo.  Scrap the Sony.  You should also look at the Yamahas, Marantz and Denon to name a few. Most receivers now will be 7.1 but that's fine. &nbsp;You can run 6.1 on these. &nbsp;

Multi Zone is different than A/B. &nbsp;On some receivers multi zone mean you can play seperate speakers with a seperate source. &nbsp;Like DVD in your Living Room and Radio in your Kitchen at the same time. &nbsp;Look at the receiver though. &nbsp;Some have their own amplification for the extra speakers, some require an additional amp.

By the way, what's your budget?

Shinerman</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the reply. &nbsp;Just got back from a trip to circuit city - I think I like the Onkyos over the Sonys. &nbsp;I am leaning towards the 610 - it has multizone and I assume it has a built in amplifier for that zone since you can adjust the volume for the second set of speakers as well.

My budget is I think smaller than what most of you guys spend on your equipment - I'm aiming for under $500.

Thanks for the reply - very helpful.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>My manual for the TX-SR601/TX-SR701 states:

&quot;When you connect the speakers to the ZONE 2 SPEAKERS terminals, set the &quot;Hardware Confing&quot; setting to &quot;Zone 2.&quot; &nbsp;In this setting, while you use the remote zone (Zone 2), surround playback will not be available for the main room (2ch stereo playback only). &nbsp;When you are not using the Zone 2, 6.1 playback will be available for the main room.&quot;

I have a TX-SR701, I do not use Zone 2 but I did play around with the settings. &nbsp;When Zone 2 is activated, only front left, front right, and subwoofer will operate in the main room. &nbsp;If you buy a reciever that has PRE OUT for Zone 2, you MIGHT be able to have mutlichannel operation in the main room and simultaneously have two channel operation for Zone 2; I'm not sure though. &nbsp;You should call the manufacturer or ask a reputable dealer. &nbsp;(The 601 does not have Zone 2 PRE OUT but the 701 does, it is also above your price range though).

The only use for digital output that I can think of is for connecting a recording device or a computer. &nbsp;I personally do not use it but I might use it in the future if I get a decent computer with a decent sound card.</font>

S

swede

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the replies.  The 601 is looking like the winner to me.  I think I'll go order one now.

Shinerman, regarding your Yamaha and Marantz suggestion: &nbsp;I agree, but I've been trying to avoid looking at those. &nbsp;My friend has a Marantz setup - very nice. &nbsp;I can't seem to find those brands in my price range, so I've focused on the above models. &nbsp;Maybe for my next unit though.</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>You can do a lot for $500 - but not at Circuit City!

The RX-V2400 that everyone raves about as almost top of the line - 7 ch at 120w, DPD, EX, EF etc., - I got for $675 (U-Save Gelt) so I know you can get the lower Yamaha for withing your budget. But you must order internet out of NY or NJ. There is no other way if you are on a budget.

Check out http://www.usavegelt.com and see what Yamaha you can get for under $500 and report back here.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>&quot;There can be only one&quot; Yamaha, bar none.
   The RV 2400 is truly a great A/V receiver recently seen priced low - near the $500 range but only over the internet. Wished I have shopped the web, seems to be the way it goes at times...a year before I purchased the HTR 5660 (85 x 6) for around $350 at Best Buy...even the next HTR down will suffice for most. Strong points are Build Quality and Yamahas continued dedication to perfecting every asspect of Home Theater A/V receivers. However many may argue which is the &quot;BEST&quot; and I do agree Yamaha may not be the best depending upon ones particular need or wants. Regardless of your final decision this is one of the best sites to get feedback and professional advice from those who have many years experience - as you've noticed there are always the same names (Brand) as favorites but in the end it will be you e choice...research, research. Good luck
                          Captain: Dorgan</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis