Help me decide: Martin Logan Motion 60 vs B&W 702 s2

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Looking at the 60XTi measurements (Graphs of impedance and phase vs frequency as linked by you). As I mentioned, I’m using a subwoofer. Assume crossover is around 80Hz. Of course, I first ask Audyssey to get rid of the bass humps. Does that not take care of a lot of the issues? Basically, I’m trying to figure out what issues are really worth worrying about and what ones can be solved.
Slevin19, You are not going to find a lot of people on here that like B&W. So they'll tell you they suck and find something else. Choose what sounds best to you. Too many people on here believe that if one little thing is off that the entire speaker sucks. Which is not true. Then they will say you should only look at Speaker A or B from some other brand. The speakers you are looking at are fine speakers and either one will sound great for your setup. ML's use the airmotion tweeter vs the B&W that use the Carbon dome tweeter. They will sound different. Each one is good. That's why lots of people buy them!

Check this link from Audio Advice. They have a great review of the 700 series.

Check out this link from Youthman regarding the Martin Logans.

I own B&W speakers and would say go with the 702's, but the Martin Logan 60's would be a great option as well. Good luck with your selection.

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Movie2099.

As I noted in the post just above yours, the ML60XT are great.

However, I upgraded to the Focal Electra 1038Be after auditioning a whole bunch of speakers. Forgot to mention that I also had an opportunity to buy either the Alto Utopia or B&W 802D at fantastic prices (an elder owner in a neighboring town was downsizing from his house to an apartment and selling off a whole lot of fantastic gear). Of the two, I preferred the Alto Utopia. However, they'd be too big for my room. But that's how I zoned in on the 1038Be. Not quite as good as the Alto Utopia (they have a weighty low end) but significantly better than the other $5-7k speakers I tried ( Aria 948, Revel F208, etc).

I don't think I'll be one of those who shall keep 'upgrading' their equipment. For me, the most significant upgrade is quite inexpensive: the ability that we all have to stream & sample all sorts of music from Tidal / Qobuz into our homes.

F

floptop

Audiophyte
An update: I bought two speakers - the ML 60XT and the Monitor Audio Gold GX300. I chose that MA speaker as many on a British forum mentioned that it sounded better than the current Gold 300 variant. These have dual 6.5 inch woofers as opposed to the 8 inch woofers that the newer Gold 300s have.

Trying both out extensively. Shall keep the one that suits my room and sell the other.

Both powered with the Parasound A21. So far, the ML60 clearly win in (1) more natural sound of instruments, (2) presence (3) bass
The MA GX300 are better in (1) airiness (2) clarity (3) ability to sound relatively good with all kinds of music (not just jazz / classical)

They are quite different speakers from each other.

I think I might prefer the ML60 more. I think I need at least dual 8 inch woofers for my room (20x20x9). It isn’t that I listen to music too loud (around 70dB SPL listening level). Too bad as the center channel for the GX300 is beefier & better sounding than that of the ML60.
This guy ^^^ knows what he's talking about. Great job of summarizing the differences between the two lines without writing a novel about "the high-mid presence was palpable", "the chocolately low-mids enveloped me without devouring my soul", etc. I agree that ML should make a better center than the 50XTi. I'd like to see a $1750-$2500 center that matches the 60s.

We carry both lines. The Motion60XTi are one of the best speakers I've heard at the price point for many types of music. However, sound is subjective and the type of music you are listening to makes a ton of difference. The section of Dazed and Confused - Live at MSG 1973 from 4:04-8:23 that I was listening to 2 hours ago on my ML ESL-X models sounded much better to me then the same content on the Motion60s. However the Deftones, Korn and DMX I listened to right before this were better on the 60s. The midrange and upper bass presence (also noted above by guy that knows what he's talking about) on the 60s is fantastic.

All...measurements, shmeasurements. Choose what your ear wants and that choice will suit most things you listen to as all speakers have compromises. Bring lots of demo material that YOU LIKE to your listening appointment.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
This guy ^^^ knows what he's talking about. Great job of summarizing the differences between the two lines without writing a novel about "the high-mid presence was palpable", "the chocolately low-mids enveloped me without devouring my soul", etc. I agree that ML should make a better center than the 50XTi. I'd like to see a $1750-$2500 center that matches the 60s.

We carry both lines. The Motion60XTi are one of the best speakers I've heard at the price point for many types of music. However, sound is subjective and the type of music you are listening to makes a ton of difference. The section of Dazed and Confused - Live at MSG 1973 from 4:04-8:23 that I was listening to 2 hours ago on my ML ESL-X models sounded much better to me then the same content on the Motion60s. However the Deftones, Korn and DMX I listened to right before this were better on the 60s. The midrange and upper bass presence (also noted above by guy that knows what he's talking about) on the 60s is fantastic.

All...measurements, shmeasurements. Choose what your ear wants and that choice will suit most things you listen to as all speakers have compromises. Bring lots of demo material that YOU LIKE to your listening appointment.
I think dazed and confused describes your speaker comparison perfectly

F

floptop

Audiophyte
I've owned both and currently own one of the pairs so I would think that my opinion is probably valid. I've sold both lines for 15 years. My opinion also matches what the other guy stated. Why do you disagree with both of us?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis