Help me chose my surround speakers

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
Hi!

I’m all Paradigm right now (monitor series). I’ll go from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4. In other words, I’m gonna add surround speakers on each side of my couch (90degrees).

The thing is, my room is narrow : 11.5 feet so *I think* bilpole would probably be a good idea for more diffuse sound on each sides instead of having a very direct sound. Am I right ?

My local store have very great deals right now on Paradigm surround 1 and 3.

As you can see, the main difference between the two models is that "Surround 3" can go lower than 1 (90hz vs 120hz).

My question is, how low surround speakers need to go? Is it important? I know for Atmos speakers (height), it’s not important but what about surround? I would go with "Surround 3" if it was not a question of budget but I’m wondering if it’s worth paying more to go from 120 to 90hz.

Bonus question : is it recommended to stay with the same brand for surround ? Paradigm in that case. Since I won't have a lot of place on each side of the couch, my second option was KEF T101 with even smaller footprint but they are monopole and I fear having a speaker with direct firing so close might not be very fun to listen.

What do you think ?

Thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It would be easier to integrate the S3 into your system than the S1 unless you can change the crossover individually on a per channel basis. For $100 more, I would take the S3 .

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
I can set crossover individually on a per channel basis but as you said, the price isn't much more

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I can set crossover individually on a per channel basis but as you said, the price isn't much more
Wait until Black Friday and save even more? Not have to concern yourself with a couple 100

Paradigm is also having sales on certain speakers, so they will probably offer additional incentives

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
Wait until Black Friday and save even more? Not have to concern yourself with a couple 100

Paradigm is also having sales on certain speakers, so they will probably offer additional incentives
My local store is already doing a black friday sale and both speakers are on sale right now

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
My local store is already doing a black friday sale and both speakers are on sale right now
Well it's not the only store that carries that product, somewhere may be cheaper when the real black friday/cyber monday pops off. It's your call, but what's another 11 days going to hurt? possibly save you some money

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't buy either one. My preference would be the Vento 826.2. It offers a much wider range and the ceramic tweeter is great. I think its a much better value.

Is that going to match with his existing paradigm speakers though? I thought that creates issues, or is this going back to adjusting the crossover settings? Maybe something he would consider or wonder about

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
First, I don't think it's important surrounds be the same brand as the LCR in home theatre. But that's really a personal choice. What I prefer is a great sounding speaker that could be used anywhere. So if later I want to use them in another room as a pair I can.

Second, I prefer a speaker that can reach 60Hz. Surrounds that don't sound good with an 80Hz crossover on the Denon sound somewhat empty to me when they are offering up a loud door slam or a depth charge blast or other substantial effects.

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
The thing is, the room I plan to install my HT is 11.5 feet wide. With a 2-3 places couch in that room, I fear 2 things :

1- Having bookshelves on stand on each side of the couch will take too much space and it will be difficult to move around

2- bookshelves will be few feet away from our ears and might sound too "direct" ?

That's why I was looking for bipole or at least small footprint speakers (like KEF T101). In those case, I'll be able to mount them on the wall

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi!

I’m all Paradigm right now (monitor series). I’ll go from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4. In other words, I’m gonna add surround speakers on each side of my couch (90degrees).

The thing is, my room is narrow : 11.5 feet so *I think* bilpole would probably be a good idea for more diffuse sound on each sides instead of having a very direct sound. Am I right ?

My local store have very great deals right now on Paradigm surround 1 and 3.

As you can see, the main difference between the two models is that "Surround 3" can go lower than 1 (90hz vs 120hz).

My question is, how low surround speakers need to go? Is it important? I know for Atmos speakers (height), it’s not important but what about surround? I would go with "Surround 3" if it was not a question of budget but I’m wondering if it’s worth paying more to go from 120 to 90hz.

Bonus question : is it recommended to stay with the same brand for surround ? Paradigm in that case. Since I won't have a lot of place on each side of the couch, my second option was KEF T101 with even smaller footprint but they are monopole and I fear having a speaker with direct firing so close might not be very fun to listen.

What do you think ?

Thanks
Well normally going from 5 to 7 involves adding rear surrounds not sides. Interested in how you ended up down that road.
Imo, bipoles are terrible. But that’s a very narrow room indeed, so it is worth considering. I’ve heard bipoles in an Atmos system used for that reason. It will be ok. How long is the room? I’ve seen people install and even prefer the side surrounds closer to 80° in a 7ch bed layer as it offers more space between the sides and rears. Do you have room behind the LP? If not, I would consider staying with 5.1.4 and just moving the surrounds up to the sides. As for matching, imo and Ime it’s better to get as close as reasonably possible. That’s not to say you can’t have a great sounding system if you don’t match. It just has a much better chance of you do.

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
ok guys. I'll go deeper into explanations.

In my current home. I have a 5.1 setup, all Paradigm. My surround are 100-110 degrees, 7 feet away from the couch on each sides.

Now I'm moving to a new house and I'll install my HT in the basement. It's 11.5 wide and 23 feet long.

Here's a not accurate MS-PAINT plan of what I would have love.
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.35.34 AM.png

As you can see, I can't place my surround as before because they will block the door on the left.

I can't use the other side of the room for several reasons I won't explain here.

A idea I had was to remove my current monopole surround and replace them with wall-mounted bipoles like this.

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.40.40 AM.png

In the future, I could add back surround directly behind the couch (so it will not block the door)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Why don't you just mount your monopoles where you would place the bipoles? There are some sturdy wall mount brackets out there that can hold bookshelf speakers.

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
Why don't you just mount your monopoles where you would place the bipoles? There are some sturdy wall mount brackets out there that can hold bookshelf speakers.
Since the room is narrow, I fear it will be difficult to move around with a 3 seats couch and wall mounted bookshelves.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
1- Having bookshelves on stand on each side of the couch will take too much space and it will be difficult to move around

2- bookshelves will be few feet away from our ears and might sound too "direct" ?

That's why I was looking for bipole or at least small footprint speakers (like KEF T101). In those case, I'll be able to mount them on the wall
1. With surrounds you want directivity. You can use DiPole but most will agree a regular speaker is preferred. In addition, bookshelves are easy to move into place where ever you want.

2. When Audyssey sets up the speaker volume it's based on where you set the Mic. So no matter where you place the speaker its volume will be set to match the other speakers. A speaker closer than the others doesn't matter with Audyssey.

What I'm trying to say is your decision making so far seems to be based on incorrect assumptions. Once you realize Audyssey does the level matching and a bookshelf on a stand is easily moved, it's a different set of options.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Since the room is narrow, I fear it will be difficult to move around with a 3 seats couch and wall mounted bookshelves.
If the room is going to be semi dedicated you could possibly use IW. That would help to widen it.

D

Dentifrice

Audiophyte
thanks guys. I'm going to move in December and I wanted to buy some speakers during black friday to save some money but I think the best thing to do is to move first. Then I'll setup all my things and see what I really need.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
1. With surrounds you want directivity. You can use DiPole but most will agree a regular speaker is preferred. In addition, bookshelves are easy to move into place where ever you want.

2. When Audyssey sets up the speaker volume it's based on where you set the Mic. So no matter where you place the speaker its volume will be set to match the other speakers. A speaker closer than the others doesn't matter with Audyssey.

What I'm trying to say is your decision making so far seems to be based on incorrect assumptions. Once you realize Audyssey does the level matching and a bookshelf on a stand is easily moved, it's a different set of options.
I wouldn’t necessarily say his assumptions are incorrect. Audyssey might level match, but hot spotting is a thing and can be quite annoying. Just the opposite of involving.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis