Help me choose..SVS, Hsu or PSB

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I wish i could understand in plain english what Dr. Hsu is saying. i am still somewhat of a newbie :) "drop offs", "impedence"..all greek to me

All I want is a sub that won't blow up (like my Polk) when it's pushed (ie Master and Commander) watching movies, and is tight for music.

My buddy's Velodyne SPL ii 8000 blew me away and I want to FEEL bass in my chest like I did with that. I know it costs more than these Hsu's but from what I read, the Hsu is close. Am i wrong in this assumption?

BTW, the salesman from electronicsfor less.ca told me the STF has one port only. I think I believe Warpdrive over that schmuck!!

So if the STF can be varied with plugging a port, has 50w more power, a 12'' driver compared to the 10" VTF, for ony $50 more, seems like a no brainer now.

I am waiting to hear back from this guy in Vancouver. i am test driving a Honda CRV -EX this weekend and this gives me a reason to take it for a good drive!!! :)

Don't get me started on the Honda CRV vs. Nissan X-Trail !!! my next project!!

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
My buddy's Velodyne SPL ii 8000 blew me away and I want to FEEL bass in my chest like I did with that. I know it costs more than these Hsu's but from what I read, the Hsu is close. Am i wrong in this assumption?
No

BTW, the salesman from electronicsfor less.ca told me the STF has one port only. I think I believe Warpdrive over that schmuck!!

So if the STF can be varied with plugging a port, has 50w more power, a 12'' driver compared to the 10" VTF, for ony $50 more, seems like a no brainer now.
The VTF-3 is basically physically the same as the STF-3 with the option of low extension mode. To do that, you basically plug a port, and throw a switch in the circuitry that compensates the output for the one leftover port.

With the STF-3, you can't compenstate the circuitry, but according to Dr Hsu, it will still work without any possible damage with one port plugged. You won't be able to reach the same levels of distortionless sound, but if you are really playing it that loud, just unplug the port before you do.

Bass is bass, sound you feel in the chest is a combination of distortionless volume and extension. Any decent subwoofer (which a Hsu qualifies exceptionally) should be able to give that feeling. The specs of the Velodyne aren't particularly impressive...so I would think that the Hsu can easily beat the Velodyne. The wattage numbers are actually meaningless, I've heard other compact subs with megawatt amps, and for the most part, size still matters.

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
Warpdrive is spot on about everything he said. The velodyne is known for the lower distortion, but that only occurs in their servo models such as the HGS and DD models. The spl is not servo. Therefore, distortion between the two will be comparable. As warpdrive stated do not compare wattage between the two; it would be like comparing apples to oranges. Without getting to technical and getting into all the details, a sealed enclosure (the velodyne) will always need more wattage than a ported design to achieve the same output (extension).

If it means anything both warpdrive and I agreed to the STF. Oh by the way the STF-3 does have two ports (see the small picture on HSU's site).

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Warp side and golfhack:

thanks so much...great to have guys like you on this forum. You just sold me on the STF 3. I will just go for it and hope it matches these Polk RTI 12's and the Denon 3805...

I will order tonight, or wait to pick it up in Vancouver on the weekend!! :) :)

BTW, you guys don't work for Hsu do you?? Kidding. :)

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
No prob. Johnny,

I have the Denon 3805 drive Polk's too (though different model)...very cool! :D

Once you get your sub, come back and talk with us and we'll help you dial in the sub (or you can contact HSU too) to your room. I don't know if I posted it here on this thread or another, but remember room placement, sub level, and parametric eq can all help dial it in. If you don't want the hassle (time consumption) of dealing with eq. then my suggestion is to start by placing the sub nearfield and messing with the crossover and level control until the bass seamlessly integrates with the system (i.e. you should not be able to localize the bass). Good luck to you! And looking forward to hearing how everything turns out. Keep us posted. :)

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
BTW, you guys don't work for Hsu do you?? Kidding. :)
I'd better not be working for Hsu because I just bought a Mirage Omni S12 sub :)

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
That's right warpdrive, you bought the Mirage...we talked about that...I have posted so much on this sub issue i can't keep track!!

I just found out the guy in vancouver is out of stock on the STF 3 and it will take 5 days, then he has to send it over on the bus to Victoria. Or i can get it delivered from electronicsforless.ca in TO in 5 days...think i will wait the 5 days and go pick it up myself in van before paying.just have to wait a few more days.....better safe than sorry....gives me an excuse to go to the Big Smoke next weekend!

Thanks again guys....

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
JC,

Which store did you go with? I ask because i'm hoping on getting a HSU sub very shortly, and was wanting to know your experience through them.

Cheers,

W

WAF!

Audiophyte
Johnny,

The STF-3 is a good choice. I have had the VTF-3 for a few weeks now and still grinning from ear to ear. I had a Def Tech Supercube I that I was about to keep when I decided to order the VTF-3. The VTF-3 totally beat out the cube in both HT and music IMO. It was no contest. Plus the VTF-3 was $500 cheaper. Needless to say the Supercube went back.

The STF-3 would have suited me just fine but heck for a hundred bucks more might as well get the VTF-3. At least that is what I did. You will probably won't miss the extra extension unless you listen to pipe organ music regularly. Or you decide to buy everything (which is not much) that has information below 25Hz.

The main thing SVS has on HSU is they offer a bigger line of products. For serious bassheads you can get the Ultra, PB12/ISD2 or the PB12 PLUS2. As far as performance the SVS and HSU offerings in the same price ranges are so close it is not even funny.

I opted for the VTF-3 because of it's size. My wife is still hinting the thing is too big but not pushing too hard to send it back. Had I of ordered the PB12/ISD-2 or plus/2 there would have been no question that it would have been returned.

Well anyways. I hope you enjoy your new HSU sub.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
thanks WAF...the VTF3 is considerably more here...I have orderd the STF 3 today....1 week wait. :(

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
You bring up a good point WAF. Since HSU and SVS are fierce competitors (good for us), I would bet that they compare each other's subs to one another when considering price. Of course, that's just purely speculation.

H

HTFUN

Audiophyte
Johnny Canuck,

Have you hooked up your STF-3 yet? I'm in the same boat as you and am interested in your thoughts on the sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis