Help me choose new AVR please, for 5.1 system, no gaming

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I run a basic 5.1 system, but I do want a powerful AVR because I want to use the internal amp for the center and surround channels(tower speakers). I don't do any gaming. My content is cable TV and Blu-ray movies from my Oppo 203 UHD player via HDMI. My TV is a Sony 75" 900E. I use a Krell power amp for the front L/R channels, via an Anthem STR preamp's home theater bypass feature. I just do manual speaker calibration.

It seems that the new Denon AVRs measure the best in terms of SINAD, but I don't know if the difference in distortion is audibly significant.
I like the way the Denon let you turn off the front L/R channel internal amplifiers when using a separate amp, but, again, I don't know if that is something on which to choose an AVR.
I like that the Yamaha has XLR pre-outs, which would allow me to run XLR to my pre-amp's home theater bypass input. Again, I don't know if running XLR over such a short distance is an advantage over a rca connection.
I like that the Yamaha seems to have good voltage output from the front L/R pre-outs, since my power amp's input sensitivity is 2.71 Vrms. I note that in some of the reviews of Denon AVRs, the output level above which distortion rises is only around 1.4 volt. How does the Yamaha A6 compare in that regard?

Thanks much for any input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems that the new Denon AVRs measure the best in terms of SINAD, but I don't know if the difference in distortion is audibly significant.
Those SINAD/THD+N numbers are 100% INAUDIBLE.

Focus on the features you need vs cost.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Those SINAD/THD+N numbers are 100% INAUDIBLE.

Focus on the features you need vs cost.

Hmm, thanks. Then maybe I should go back to Yamaha with the A6A. My RX-V1800 never had a problem with it.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
In a similar boat as you. Am upgrading from a very reliable a3000 so the choice is between the A6A and the x4700h.
Strong lean towards brand loyalty so will probably get the A6A when they are more available.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
In a similar boat as you. Am upgrading from a very reliable a3000 so the choice is between the A6A and the x4700h.
Strong lean towards brand loyalty so will probably get the A6A when they are more available.
Yeah, I was looking at the 4700h or 6700h, but there is a nice used 6500 near me for a good price, which has apparently just had its HDMI board replaced under warranty. It's not clear to me in what ways, if any, the 4700/6700 will offer me better sound than the 6500. And I don't game, so I don't think I need that 4k 120Hz thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I was looking at the 4700h or 6700h, but there is a nice used 6500 near me for a good price, which has apparently just had its HDMI board replaced under warranty. It's not clear to me in what ways, if any, the 4700/6700 will offer me better sound than the 6500. And I don't game, so I don't think I need that 4k 120Hz thing.
I wouldn't differentiate the avrs by "sound" except that which you might manipulate through its dsp/processing/roomeq, even among different brands that's going to be the bigger difference. The amp power differences are relatively minor among those Denons as well (most avrs are within a few dB of each other). Pick for the feature set that works the best for you.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't differentiate the avrs by "sound" except that which you might manipulate through its dsp/processing/roomeq, even among different brands that's going to be the bigger difference. The amp power differences are relatively minor among those Denons as well (most avrs are within a few dB of each other). Pick for the feature set that works the best for you.
Hmm, considering that I manually calibrate the speaker levels, having the test tones to manually set each channel's levels is the most important thing for me. Would I be correct to assume that any of these AVRs under consideration allow manual level setting? I ask because I thought I read somewhere that the newest Denon AVRs may not allow manual level setting. Or, I may have misunderstood what I read, which is entirely possible. :cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt any avr makes you use the auto setup....none I've heard of do that. All have test tones I'm aware of. Limited value to setting your own levels sometimes, tho, depending if you want to utilize some of the extra features things Audyssey has.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
So, should I go with a good condition AVR-X6500 that is now available or with a new X3700 or X4700? I run a 5.1 system. Or, should I go with the "perfect condition" X6700 that I now see for $2,250? With a 5.1 system, will the X700 Denon models offer any audible advantage over a X6500?

I have a big power amp for the front L/R channels that has a 2.71 mV input sensitivity, if that matters. The other channels are driven by the AVR.

Whatever I get needs to be able to play multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio discs from my Oppo BDP-203 over HDMI.

We just completed our kitchen remodel and I now need to revamp the A/V setup in the family room, starting with a new AVR. I did get two 20 amp dedicated lines run.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, should I go with a good condition AVR-X6500 that is now available or with a new X3700 or X4700? I run a 5.1 system. Or, should I go with the "perfect condition" X6700 that I now see for $2,250? With a 5.1 system, will the X700 Denon models offer any audible advantage over a X6500?

I have a big power amp for the front L/R channels that has a 2.71 mV input sensitivity, if that matters. The other channels are driven by the AVR.

Whatever I get needs to be able to play multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio discs from my Oppo BDP-203 over HDMI.

We just completed our kitchen remodel and I now need to revamp the A/V setup in the family room, starting with a new AVR. I did get two 20 amp dedicated lines run.
I would choose a brand new AVR.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
"It seems that the new Denon AVRs measure the best in terms of SINAD, but I don't know if the difference in distortion is audibly significant."

If you want audible distortion then you want a tube amplifier. Many of them have audible distortion. Modern solid state amplifiers have no audible distortion as long as they aren't clipping.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I’ve got a 6700h. Previously had a 2300, than 3300, than 4300. You can still manually set the levels. I don’t believe any Denon or Marantz has ever had that feature removed. I paid a bit over $2000 shipped for mine and for a 13.2 channel capable AVR it was a deal. I use mine in preamp mode and have been extremely happy with it. I’ve had no issues driving all 3 of my power amps to sustained reference levels with no issues. I can’t comment on the internal amps power and quality as I’ve never used them. I do use MultiEQ-X up to 350hz in conjunction with a MiniDSP 2x4HD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis