Help Me Choose: CBM-170 SE's or RC-10's?

R

Ralls

Enthusiast
My wife finally gave me permission to get some new speakers that I'll just be using for stereo for now--possibly home theater in the not-so-near future. I was going to definitely go with the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's and then I recently discovered the Energy RC-10's and now I'm waffling between the two because they are essentially the same price. Looks aren't my first priority, but sound is. So what say all of you, especially those that have possibly heard both???

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't heard both. But I wanted to reconfirm that the 170's are excellent performing speakers. And would make an excellent choice for HT or music.

R

Ralls

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning more towards the 170's. Really the only weakness that I can level against it vs. the RC-10 is a little less bass extension (58 Hz vs. 50 Hz.) I don't think this will make a huge difference and I don't plan on getting a sub, especially if I find the bass response suitable.

S

soundhound

Junior Audioholic
If WAF is a factor, I'd go with the rc-10s. Those are nice looking speakers! Soundwise, you can't really go wrong with either. I'd get whatever was less as long as you don't mind the industrial kind of looks of the ascends.

R

Ralls

Enthusiast
They are definitely nice looking speakers, as well as good performers, although it seems that the frequency response isn't quite as flat and the off-axis performance isn't quite as good either. That being said, though, I still think that spec-wise they both perform exceptionally well.

Also, I must have a pretty cool wife because I showed her both speakers and she doesn't care what they look like! She told me to get what I liked.

Last edited:
S

soundhound

Junior Audioholic
btw, where are you getting the rc-10s for the same price as the 170s? locally, or audioadvisor?

R

Ralls

Enthusiast
Vote tally so far:

Ascends - 2

RC-10's - 1

Keep 'em coming!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Get both. Return the ones you don't like.
That works for me too :) I have not heard the RC-10s, but I really enjoyed the 170SEs. They sounded great with a wide variety of music and movies and they have a neutral overall sound that is very detailed.

R

Ralls

Enthusiast
Ideally I would get both, but the problem is that I don't have the funds for it. I just ordered the Ascends, so when I get them and if I like them, then my quest is over. I'll post my impressions of them when I get them.

I had some PSB Image 2B's recently and I can't say that I cared for them so I sold them on eBay. So if the Ascends perform better than those, then I will be a happy camper.

From my research, I've determined that I want a speaker that portrays music as honestly as is reasonable within my budget. It doesn't have to be perfect as I feel that this is a somewhat fruitless pursuit and an expensive one at that.

I appreciate all the feedback.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Congratulations on your purchase. Please keep us informed with your thoughts and review of the Ascends. Pictures are always welcome. :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ideally I would get both, but the problem is that I don't have the funds for it. I just ordered the Ascends, so when I get them and if I like them, then my quest is over. I'll post my impressions of them when I get them.

I had some PSB Image 2B's recently and I can't say that I cared for them so I sold them on eBay. So if the Ascends perform better than those, then I will be a happy camper.

From my research, I've determined that I want a speaker that portrays music as honestly as is reasonable within my budget. It doesn't have to be perfect as I feel that this is a somewhat fruitless pursuit and an expensive one at that.

I appreciate all the feedback.
I know of one person who owns the RC's and Ascends and he clearly preferred the RC's, however they were the original classic's and not the SE version. From what he told me the RC's had a better overall soundstage and from what I've read about the newer SE version they're a definite improvement as well.

FWIW the RC's are real wood veneer. I just happen to own the black ash but the rosenut IMHO look really exceptional, good luck.:)

Regards, Billy p:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis