Help me choose a new sub please!

C

canuck88

Audiophyte
My 15-year old Sound Dynamics HT-3000 served me well, but died about a week ago.

I don't want to spend more than $400 Canadian, so most of the preferred subs (SVS, etc.) are out of the picture after shipping and duty.

I want a good balance between HT and music, with music being slightly less critical. With my HT-3000, it didn't give me 'punch' on music, so I would like something with tight bass (that can also extend down to 28-32hz for movies).

So, here's what I'm looking at so far:

Polk PSW-125 ($337 cdn after tax)
PSB Subseries 5i ($380 cdn tax in)
Energy ESW-C10 ($345 cdn after tax)

If I could find a way to get a BIC H-100 shipped up here for under $350cdn, I'd be considering that also...

But which of the three listed meet my needs in your opinion?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My 15-year old Sound Dynamics HT-3000 served me well, but died about a week ago.

I don't want to spend more than $400 Canadian, so most of the preferred subs (SVS, etc.) are out of the picture after shipping and duty.

I want a good balance between HT and music, with music being slightly less critical. With my HT-3000, it didn't give me 'punch' on music, so I would like something with tight bass (that can also extend down to 28-32hz for movies).

So, here's what I'm looking at so far:

Polk PSW-125 ($337 cdn after tax)
PSB Subseries 5i ($380 cdn tax in)
Energy ESW-C10 ($345 cdn after tax)

If I could find a way to get a BIC H-100 shipped up here for under $350cdn, I'd be considering that also...

But which of the three listed meet my needs in your opinion?
If you can do DIY, these would probably be the cheapest good options:

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET10 Subwoofer Kit

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=Trio12APR15

MDF is cheap. If you aren't handy, or don't have the tools, maybe you know somebody who is/does?

If that isn't an option, I don't know which of the ones you listed would be best - I haven't heard them or read any reviews.

V

vikebrian84

Audioholic Intern
Be patient and get something used. Only took me a month to find someone selling a hsu stf-2 for 150$ about 30 mins from me. Still had a year on the warrenty :)

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
look for used on kijiji. I got a mine (MA rsw12 MSRP $1399+tax) for $400 in mint condition. What about a BIC pl-200? (aka h200)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis