Help in choosing Axiom 60, Energy C9, PSB or Paradigm

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Hey Guys,

First post for someone who has been lurking for one year now, I stumbled upon this site 2 days after purchasing a RXV-1400. Choosing a receiver with all of the info out there was like shi***ing an electronic brick. Now for the harder part. Looking at these following speakers:

Energy C9's
Axiom 60's
PSB (floorstanders)
Paradigm (floorstanders)
Polk LSi15

My budget is about $1K and I have so far auditioned the C9's at Soundworks in MD (yes the owner was kinda snooty but Wally was great help). My only problem is I don't have a way of auditioning the Axioms. The room they are going in is 15'x12' and is attached (0pen) to the kitchen which is about the same length but a little wider. So far, standard tv (upgrading a piece a year -budget and wife), Sony DVD/CD player and Dish. Any and all advice vastly appreciated since new to newer technology. Thanks.

Bryon

A

Ajax

Audioholic
BryGuy,

You might check the thread below, at the Axiom forum, to see if there is anyone near you willing to audition their speakers for you. There is a fellow in Baltimore (DJ Stunna), and one in D.C. (Capn Pickard) who have M60s and are willing to demo them for you. Both participate at the forum, but they aren't there every day. If you send them a PM, and they have their account set up for it, an email will be sent informing them someone has sent them a PM.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=12763&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
what exactly are you looking to purchase?

a complete HT setup?

2 speakers for a stereo setup?

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I would have to suggest the paradigm monitor 7's to fit the bill with the new yammie you got. I listened to this exact setup for a long time at my local store and loved it. I bought the 7's, and will probably get a yammie receiver once i can afford one. They can be had for around 600, i got mine for 699 canadian. give them a listen, you won't be disappointed.

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
I currently have the m60's but after auditioning the paradigms I have since ordered a set. The paradigms have a more natural sound in my opinion. The axioms are plagued by the aluminum drivers they use in my opinion, they just don’t sound correct on vocals to me. I always thought of the axioms as having good clarity but they always seemed weak on imaging. The paradigms have really opened my eyes (ears) to what imaging can be, also the clarity which I thought was good with the axioms has now been proven to be well below that of the paradigms.

Of course this is just my opinion, your ears may find to the contrary.

Last edited:
Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
sorry about the lack of info. I will be mostly music (2 channel stereo) until I can get a home theater setup. When watching movies on TV (through Dish) I will run that through the speackers. Currently, I am using two small Yamaha bookshelf/surround speakers as my main. That's what budgets do to you. Music wise I listen to everything but prefer hard and classic rock. I used to listen to a LOT of dead so I will be using them for live recordings also.

T

tparmer

Audioholic Intern
no B&W?

just curious, why are the B&W DM603 S3s not on your list? MSRP is $1000 pr and they are killer for HT and 90% of the music out there. I have listened to the Energy line and can't quite get my hands around why there appears to be a "gap" somewhere in the upper-med range, like something is lost from the mid driver to the tweeter-it's wierd. Did you notice that?

Can't say I have much experience with the Paradigms or Axioms, but I really like the PSB Image line. They "image" well and have a punchy sound with a little laid back but detailed high frequency. My decision lies between Focal JM-Lab Chorus 716 S and the B&Ws referenced above. My opinion is the B&W would be a better fit with the Yamaha receiver. Check out the JMs and B&Ws if you can-JMs are great on music, especially if you are picky listener, the B&Ws rock (and suit your taste better I think) and are gripping in a theater setting.

Cheers.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I listened to the B&W 703's and LOVED them but way out of budget at $1500 a piece, so I thought the 603's were $1000 a piece. I guess that'll be an additional trip this weekend. It's going to be a long Saturday driving all over Maryland. I can't find one dealer that carries some or all of the brands together, they each carry one. I called each one today to make sure too, there goes a tank of gas.

I liked the C9's, they sounded really clear and the LSi15's sounds almost as clear but with a deeper bass. I guess the deeper bass came from the built in subwoofer. This weekend will be Paradigm, hopefully the PSB, the Energy's again and now back to the B&W's. I just wish I could hear them at about the same time instead of store to store. Kind of hard to compare that way. I am also using Sound and Visions 2005 product guide to help with the comparative info including suggested prices and performance.

Bring home an athlete, adopt a greyhound

Bryon

T

tparmer

Audioholic Intern
make it fun

by the way, the S&V buyers guide is awesome, eh? one last thing, make sure you can return the speakers you end up buying in a reasonable period of time (15-30 days), no questions asked. You could narrow your choice to two brands, float them for a week or so on a credit card, and return the ones you like least. Sounds like a lot of work I know, but it nearly removes the possibility of buyers remorse!

Enjoy the process.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Sometimes ...

GeneticDrift said:
I currently have the m60's but after auditioning the paradigms I have since ordered a set. The paradigms have a more natural sound in my opinion. The axioms are plagued by the aluminum drivers they use in my opinion, they just don’t sound correct on vocals to me. I always thought of the axioms as having good clarity but they always seemed weak on imaging. The paradigms have really opened my eyes (ears) to what imaging can be, also the clarity which I thought was good with the axioms has now been proven to be well below that of the paradigms.

Of course this is just my opinion, your ears may find to the contrary.
Things change in a hurry

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I have the Axiom 60's paired with a Yamaha 3300. The combo is pretty good by itself, but once I added an amp the 60's showed me all they could do...........an excellent speaker.I have to disagree with an earlier opinion on their imaging. I listened to the Paradigm Studio 60's & loved them but they were more than twice the price. There is a big diff in sound between the Studio series & the Monitors IMO.

Take note of what is driving the speakers you're sampling. I may not have been as thrilled with the Paradigms tied to my Yammy as I was when they were played through all the Rotel gear at the dealer.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
tparmer said:
just curious, why are the B&W DM603 S3s not on your list? MSRP is $1000 pr and they are killer for HT and 90% of the music out there.

I am wondering what the 10% of music is that they might not perform well. I liked the 604s a lot today listening to some accoustic pickin' music but I wonder if I am gonna blow them up if I crank them to earsplitting levels with some ozzy or megadeth or type 0 negative or jag panzer or joe satriani or ...
I have an RXV1500 for power.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Larry,

I didn't do the 603's due to the rear port. Mine needed to be placed up against a wall because of space issues. (kinda mention that in your other post today also). You are jamming the same kind of music I'm running through them myself. I've even cranked some bluegrass and a lot of Dead. I haven't done the Ozzie yet but did some Sabbath. The recording wasn't that great since it is an original CD from the late 80's early 90's but still really cranked out. I was planning on doing the Megadeth tomorrow at lunch or before the wife comes home. Unfortunately, she is looking at testing them out with Abba and some Depeche Mode. I told her only when I'm not home. I feel so bad for those speakers cause they don't know what's coming.

bryguy

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
If you like Megadeth - check out the Rude Awakening live concert dvd, I love it especially the underground concert part where they do Train of Consequences, the drums make a very satisfying thunk. Concert dvds are the main reason I had to have at least a 5.1 system, I have a nice little collection going everything from Dead to Pantera to Dixie Chicks to Judas Priest Live in London. I would like to find an orchestra concert dvd and see how that sounds. I have gotten so used to having those 15s in front of me that I might have to get a 2nd subwoofer to get the same effect after I get some better main speakers. Or maybe keep them and run an outboard amp and run a low pass filter, hmmm. It never ends does it?
At least with a home system you can build it without someone taking it back out of your car for ya when you go downtown at night.

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
I have looked at Paradigm Studio 40's, NHT, BW 703, Infinity Beta 50, Boston, Klipsch, Polk and PSB. Pluses and minuses throughout the lot, but in end I have decided to purchase the ENERGY C9 system. I listened to the C5's as well, but the C9's blow them away. Top Woofer is dedicated to mid range thanks to the sloped crossover. Great with music, even better with HT. My dealer indicated ENERGY is giving incentives on the maple finish and that is right up my alley. A pair of C9's, CC1, pair of CR1's (maybe CR3's) and the newer 10.3 sub (which blew me away!) Bottom line: $1640 USD. ($300 more for black). ENERGY dealers should be dealing especially on packages in maple. Good luck.

J

jasper

Audiophyte
Bryon,

I have seen several comments that the B&W 703s sound almost identical. Maybe there would be more available information about that on the Axiom Message Board. Might be worth a peek.

D

DECIBEL_KING

Enthusiast
Get the Paradigm ...

I have the axiom 80's and I have listened to the Paradigm speakers at Audio Video and they are both great speakers. For the money I would pick Paradigm especially if you later want to complete a HT system. I have the yammie 1500 and it does a great job espeically in DSP mode.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

L

lynn2c

Audioholic Intern
I auditioned axiom's and thought they were great for home theater, but were lacking with music. I settled with the PSB Image 6T's and love them. They have discontinued the model that I have, but they can still be found at excellent prices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis