HELP: How to improve dialog clarity without center channel?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you everyone. I still have the same problem. And have not been able to solve it with dialog enhancer.

Not sure if I use the MultEq correctly, but enhancing the dialogs did not improve the situation.

I feel the problem maybe reflections from side and back walls from the front speakers (ls50).

The other problem could be that subwoofer adds to dialog intelligibility. The dialogs are clearer when I use one TV speaker.

Any other idea folks? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I have to think that there is something wrong with your hearing or set up. I have a hard time understanding why it would be hard to understand dialog with your speakers.

Turn off your sub and make sure there is no Eq turned on in your receiver, no dynamic Eq or anything like that. Also listen in two channel pure direct with the surround speakers off. See if you can hear the dialog. If you can then start turning up your sub gradually. Stop at the point where is just starts to obscure clarity and turn it down a bit. Once you have that set, then turn on the surrounds. I have to think you sub is turned up too high, which is very common, you have some crazy Eq inadvertently turned on, your surrounds are too loud, or you have a hearing problem and need to get an audiogram.

I don't see any other possibilities.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
I have to think that there is something wrong with your hearing or set up. I have a hard time understanding why it would be hard to understand dialog with your speakers.

Turn off your sub and make sure there is no Eq turned on in your receiver, no dynamic Eq or anything like that. Also listen in two channel pure direct with the surround speakers off. See if you can hear the dialog. If you can then start turning up your sub gradually. Stop at the point where is just starts to obscure clarity and turn it down a bit. Once you have that set, then turn on the surrounds. I have to think you sub is turned up too high, which is very common, you have some crazy Eq inadvertently turned on, your surrounds are too loud, or you have a hearing problem and need to get an audiogram.

I don't see any other possibilities.
Thanks. Let me try that. Also I will try to bring the two speakers closer together and away from the glass windows. That may also be causing the problem.

Good to know that having a phantom speaker setup in not the problem as I really don't have space for a center speaker.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thanks. Let me try that. Also I will try to bring the two speakers closer together and away from the glass windows. That may also be causing the problem.

Good to know that having a phantom speaker setup in not the problem as I really don't have space for a center speaker.

Well, if you have a hearing issue a good center will help or give you the abiliy to “cheat” a bit by increasing the volume slightly on it which does help a lot. It will be more difficult without a center. (A bad center will not help though)

Minimizing the massive amount of reflections of a bright room also helps, so getting away from surfaces like glass windows helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Update

Thank you, everyone.

The problem has been largely solved by making the following changes.

1. Moving left and right speakers away from the corners. And bringing them closer together on either side of the TV. About 5 ft apart.

2. Putting a delay of 5 msec.

3. Covering the glass coffee table with a blanket.

Thank you everyone

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis