HELP! how to hook up extra subwoofers... from the receiver

A

armed

Audioholic Intern
hello audioholics, just need a little help here...im planning to install 2 subs...i have a denon av-1613...all it has is 1 single subwoofer out...what do i need to hook up 2 12s subwoofer? get an amp? and hook it up from the subwoofer out? is there anything i need? other than an amp and 2 subs? crossover for the sub? is there any special feature i need to look for in an amp? my denon receiver has 1 single RCA sub out...thanks in advance

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Are you placing the subs close together? what subs are you getting, why wouldn't they have their own amps, are you buying passive subs? Anyway to answer your question, just install an rca splitter and hook both subs into it, sometimes if you are putting them close to each other, and the sub amp has a output jack you can hook sub 2 into that..

A

armed

Audioholic Intern
im getting 2 subs...im making my own box design.....passive subs, will be at least 10-12 feet away from each other....thanks for the quick response...
so i guess use the subwoofer out with a splitter...then connect that to the amp...then to the subs...will a mono amp better? or a regular stereo amp...as far as EQ or subwoofer? what would i use? i dont think the denon doesnt have a subwoofer eq...

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
im getting 2 subs...im making my own box design.....passive subs, will be at least 10-12 feet away from each other....thanks for the quick response...
so i guess use the subwoofer out with a splitter...then connect that to the amp...then to the subs...will a mono amp better? or a regular stereo amp...as far as EQ or subwoofer? what would i use? i dont think the denon doesnt have a subwoofer eq...
If you have only one sub output, consider a "mini-dsp" for signal processing of each individual sub. It'll give you more flexibility.

Then you can feed it to a stereo amp or two mono amps.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Depending upon the drivers you get and how the system is laid out you can also use a single mono-amp to power both. Assuming you're using two identical drivers hooking them up in parallel gives you 1/2 the impedance, hooking them up in series is 2x. (So for 4 ohm drivers they can be connected to be a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load to the amp.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis