Help getting the Volume I want without receiver shutting off

S

stormglove

Audiophyte
All,

I appreciate the help if any. I've struggled getting quite the volume i'd like out of my setup for more than a minute or two without the receiver shitting off. I have it in an open entertainment center with plenty of space. My current setup is:

Marantz SR-6007 Receiver
Energy CF50s for Front speakers
Klipsch ICON VB15s for Rear
PolkAudio CSi A6 for Center
Klipsch R-12SW for Sub

I've put the receiver into most setting as far as Multi-channel, Dolby, etc...With the phone hooked up through Aux cable I can get it decently loud but without it shutting off, but it's a fine line and I'd like to turn it up just a tad more. For DVD's/Blu-rays (mostly just concerts as regular movies I do not need that volume) through my xbox one I can't even come close to getting it up to the level I want without it shutting off. Should I look at getting an Amp of some sorts? Thanks for any tips. I'll keep reading through the forum to see if I can educate myself some more as I feel a bit lost in some of this stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When my amp shits I whack it on the nose and tell it "bad amp" :)

I've struggled getting quite the volume i'd like out of my setup for more than a minute or two without the receiver shitting off.
Would help to know more about the setup of speaker/sub, how far you are from the speakers and what levels you're talking about particularly. Could be some more power is in order via external amp, and your avr does have a full set of pre-outs if so to accommodate. If those Energy's are accurate with their sensitivity spec, I suspect you are likely into ear bleeding levels, tho :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.
Boy, you must like it very loud. ;)
The Energy seems to be very sensitive speakers at 96 dB sensitivity.
While that center may need more power, it is only 1 speaker.
Rears usually don't require that much power unless you wand all channel stereo. Then you get the same volume inputs back there as the fronts.
Hearing loss is suspected.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Does it shut off in stereo mode?
What are your speaker settings(small/large) and crossovers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've had this happen to me and it turned out to be a few stray speaker wires touching where they weren't s'posed to be. It was fine at lower volumes but when I turned it up my receiver would shut down.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had this happen to me and it turned out to be a few stray speaker wires touching where they weren't s'posed to be. It was fine at lower volumes but when I turned it up my receiver would shut down.
Yep, checking basic connections is the best start....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep, checking basic connections is the best start....
Often overlooked tho! In my case what actually happened was our puppy got behind the couch and found the cable running to one of the surround speakers. Chewed it just enough to expose copper and a few strays popped out.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Often overlooked tho! In my case what actually happened was our puppy got behind the couch and found the cable running to one of the surround speakers. Chewed it just enough to expose copper and a few strays popped out.
Running headless downhill is more exciting then walking though.
but ye that one is often overlooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

stormglove

Audiophyte
When my amp shits I whack it on the nose and tell it "bad amp" :)

Would help to know more about the setup of speaker/sub, how far you are from the speakers and what levels you're talking about particularly. Could be some more power is in order via external amp, and your avr does have a full set of pre-outs if so to accommodate. If those Energy's are accurate with their sensitivity spec, I suspect you are likely into ear bleeding levels, tho :)
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Speakers are about 10ft from couch with sub about the same. I like putting up the volume though and wandering around the house when cleaning and doing chores. As far as levels it's in the top 3rd. The big one for me is trying to play concert dvds, just seems like the Xbox comes in so much lower that requires the Amp to be turned up to max to get the oomph I want, haha.

Even when Switched to direct stereo or multi channel stereo. It would be nice to get the true 5.1 from them though. Xbox runs straight into receiver.

I'm have to look into maybe an Amp it sounds like. I'll also look into some better wiring, my rear wiring is spliced together. Currently I'm moving in 3 weeks so it'll be a good opportunity to reconfigure everything.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The big one for me is trying to play concert dvds, just seems like the Xbox comes in so much lower that requires the Amp to be turned up to max to get the oomph I want, haha.
Can you clarify this a little better? Are you only having issues playing through your Xbox or is it all sources? What do you mean by "seems like the Xbox comes in so much lower"? Lower than what?

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Well reading the more negative than positive reviews at Amazon. It appears your not the only one with this issue.
So it could just be this particular model of Marantz. Some are also saying the power is really weak. But do all your trouble shooting before you throw it out the window. Good luck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Speakers are about 10ft from couch with sub about the same. I like putting up the volume though and wandering around the house when cleaning and doing chores. As far as levels it's in the top 3rd. The big one for me is trying to play concert dvds, just seems like the Xbox comes in so much lower that requires the Amp to be turned up to max to get the oomph I want, haha.

Even when Switched to direct stereo or multi channel stereo. It would be nice to get the true 5.1 from them though. Xbox runs straight into receiver.

I'm have to look into maybe an Amp it sounds like. I'll also look into some better wiring, my rear wiring is spliced together. Currently I'm moving in 3 weeks so it'll be a good opportunity to reconfigure everything.
The "top third" is meaningless with an avr that has a volume control in dB, as it is not linear but rather logarithmic. If you calibrated with Audyssey, just mention the volume scale reading....and whether it is absolute or relative....

S

stormglove

Audiophyte
Can you clarify this a little better? Are you only having issues playing through your Xbox or is it all sources? What do you mean by "seems like the Xbox comes in so much lower"? Lower than what?
All sources at the top 3rd of the volume will shut off the receiver at a certain point, but particularly Xbox dvds. As in if I play spotify/pandora from TV compared to Xbox it takes more volume to get the same sound level. Both these are not quit what is expect from everything though, lol.

Like I said I get away with plugging in my phone to aux L/R with phone itself turned all the way up I get to about where I expect.

Overall could just be me, and maybe I will quit complaining, haha.

S

stormglove

Audiophyte
The "top third" is meaningless with an avr that has a volume control in dB, as it is not linear but rather logarithmic. If you calibrated with Audyssey, just mention the volume scale reading....and whether it is absolute or relative....
I don't have it set to dB, I used scale 0-98 option. After about the high 70s low 80s is where it'll happen. I did not use the audessy set up, but went through the manual set up for distance and levels of each speaker.

S

stormglove

Audiophyte
Well reading the more negative than positive reviews at Amazon. It appears your not the only one with this issue.
So it could just be this particular model of Marantz. Some are also saying the power is really weak. But do all your trouble shooting before you throw it out the window. Good luck.
So in this case would an amp be worth it to get more power if after troubleshooting I am still not happy? I'm not to familiar with what exactly how the amp plays into the overall power. Trying to do some more research on that end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have it set to dB, I used scale 0-98 option. After about the high 70s low 80s is where it'll happen. I did not use the audessy set up, but went through the manual set up for distance and levels of each speaker.
Well even the absolute scale (0-98) is dB based. High 70s/low 80s is close to movie reference volume on that scale (and possibly near the limits of your amp section), and is quite loud. You might want to check those wire splices? :)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
So in this case would an amp be worth it to get more power if after troubleshooting I am still not happy? I'm not to familiar with what exactly how the amp plays into the overall power. Trying to do some more research on that end.
Well if your needing more volume, which it seems as though you like it really loud, a more powerful amp may be your only option. As some of those reviewer stated, the amp in your current unit may not be pushing out it's advertised watts. There could also be something else going on, which is why you need to trouble shoot all possibilities.
But years back when onkyo had started making cheaper n, my son had a avr that would shut down at half volume no matter what speakers he used. So my son hooked up an external amp, and guess what, it (the avr) would still shut off when he turned it up half way. After that he ended up ditching the avr and had to get a new one. He replaced it with another onkyo but different model and never had the issue again.
So as others have stated, check all your wires first. If nothing appears to be wrong, see if you can take it do a dealer and hook it up to an amp and see what happens. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe your phone is not at full line output. Maybe your Xbox is set on variable output rather than fixed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis