Help getting better sound

B

bboock

Enthusiast
Ok, so I have been at this for a couple years now saving up money and buying a piece at a time, selling some and upgrading, and have not learned near what I should have. My problem is, I have a pretty decent setup (I'm sure to be argued) and it just doesn't seem like I can get the receiver set just right for a "dynamic" feeling. So my setup, Klipsch: RF 52's Rc 52 Rs 52's and two RW10D subs, being pushed by an Onkyo TX-SR608. I just got the receiver and am not sure I have everything set right, but am just looking for some advice on receiver settings or anything else. Thanks in advance.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
What exactly do you feel is lacking in your system? Have you tried running Audyssey or the equivalent speaker setup program?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I'm assuming you've calibrated with an SPL meter. That $20 investment can have the most impact on your gear. Also what is your display like. A good display can provide the visual impact to match the soundstage.

B

bboock

Enthusiast
No have not calibrated with an SPL, and display is a Panny 50" Plasma with excellent pic. And when I watch a movie I do not feel like the voices are high enough, I have both subs turned way down so the bass is not overpowering. It will not let me select the Audyssey option in the on screen menu. I do not know why not, I have read the the manual and can not find anywhere in there why that would happen.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
OK, the first thing you need to do is go to RadioShack and get a SPL meter (analog/needle not the digital one)
Order a copy of the Avia setup DVD or Digital Video Essentials
While you are waiting for those to arrive you can use the built in test tones for your receiver to calibrate speaker and subwoofer levels for you setup. You may be amazed at what a difference a properly calibrated system sounds like.

Here is a link on how to do it:

http://www.techlore.com/article/10037/How-To-Calibrate-Your-Surround-Sytem-Using-an-SPL-Meter/

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
No have not calibrated with an SPL, and display is a Panny 50" Plasma with excellent pic. And when I watch a movie I do not feel like the voices are high enough, I have both subs turned way down so the bass is not overpowering. It will not let me select the Audyssey option in the on screen menu. I do not know why not, I have read the the manual and can not find anywhere in there why that would happen.
Sounds like room modes issues - Correct Audyssey calibration will go a long way improving the low voices issue many-many of us face with new systems :eek:

In longer run consider acousting room treatments as they are better solutions than Audyssey EQing

p.s: To initiate Audyssey calibration - you just have to plug-in the included mic and follow instructions in link I provided

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
not to hijack this thread.. but how much better is the avia type test tones over the built in test tones? I have the avia disk and found is cumbersome to navigate.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To correctly measure spl you need pink noise pattern - receivers do it by default - I don't seem need for dvd test tones for the purpose of level matching speaker.
Manual Room measuring/EQing is a different story.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
To correctly measure spl you need pink noise pattern - receivers do it by default - I don't seem need for dvd test tones for the purpose of level matching speaker.
Manual Room measuring/EQing is a different story.
yeah I wasnt really sure what to do with the little colored films.. and stuff.. it didnt really come with instructions a goof liek me could figure out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yeah I wasnt really sure what to do with the little colored films.. and stuff.. it didnt really come with instructions a goof liek me could figure out.
For TV calibration colored filters aren't complicated even for goof leik you :D
Most important is blue filter anyways, the rest less critical.

The DVD/BR itself will guide you on how to use em during different tests.

However for best results you want to get good color sensor and there is a free great software, however it's complicated even with good guide. If you are serious about getting the most out of your TV but this stuff looks too complicated you might want to consider hiring ISF cert. calibrator.

Few good reads:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
to the OP if you do find yourself wanting to purchase some acoustic material might i suggest you visit the foam factory (google it forget the exact address) online and pick up some corner broadband absorbers, i used these in my room to correct acoustic issues and they worked really good and arent very expensive, they totally deadened my room to mid and high frequencies and significantly reduced the reverb of low frequencies, which can really make a good system sound bad in my experience because the bass always seems out of tune or unbalanced with the rest and the reverb destroys bassline transients. i dont know what your problem is though but if you come to the conclusion it is acoustical problems this will certainly help.

B

bboock

Enthusiast
Ok, so I did the Audyssey set up and it is a little better, bass may be just a touch low, but its def. good enough. The vivid details of movies (rain drops, swords hitting, etc.) are excellent, still the voices are just not quite right. I did not get a chance to pickup an SPL meter today, and will probably just order one off of Amazon. I have read all of the articles on audioholics for speaker setup, calibration, bass management, etc. If I remember correctly the setup put my fronts at 30Hz, surrounds at 40hz, and subs at 80, I think but cannot remember 100%. Does anyone know is there anywhere such as a crash course guide in home theatre? Like dealing with everything, impediance, room acoustics, sound waves and how the ear interprets them, so on and so forth? Thanks in advance, and sorry for my "slow" abilities. I am just pretty young and recently purchased my first house and have spent plenty of money and would like to get the absolute most out of this. Thanks!

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
What you want to do is go online and read what the lowest frequency your speaker can handle is (say 20Hz) then double that and set your crossover to that (40Hz) on each speaker, if you want to go the THX route set all your speakers to 80hz and let the sub handle everything below that.

Do Audyssey first, let it set your speakers then bump the crossovers up from them. In my case it set my mains to Large and my bass was all muddy, by setting them to 40hz the bass tightened up. after running audyssey use your sound meter to tweak all the channels to 75db c - weighting and slow response to get a level sound throughout. Keep the speaker distances at what Audyssey sets them to, it is very accurate for that. My sub sits two feet away but audyssey set it at 18 feet away there is a reason for that, so even though Audyssey says your sub mqay be further away that is the only speaker that audyssey will say is way off, all other speakers should be spot on.

If need be you can bump the center channel up a decibel or two but don't go overboard and as for bass, you may be sitting in a null void, so try different sub positions before settling. Also buy a gramma pad for the sub, trust me on this one, best 50.00 on improving bass response you'll ever spend.

B

bboock

Enthusiast
I almost wish 5 years ago when I was 17 and started building my HT setup two things would have happened: 1. Someone would have told me what an imperfect world everything and every room is for accoustics, and how extremely frustrating and money hungry this hobby is. And 2. That my $300 Sony HTIB was pretty cool. :) I would have a lot more money right now...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis