Help for a hissing noise

M

Mitch

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have a Sony HT in my living room. I'm noticing a hissing sound from the center speaker which is drowning out the audio. This only happens when I'm tunes to some of my cable channels. I have to jack the volume almost all the way up to hear the audio, which also makes the hissing louder. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this annoying noise?
Thanks in advance.

T

tazmanian

Audiophyte
This is just a suggestion. Are you plugging your receiver directly into your house outlet? Can you tell me if your receiver uses a two prong or three prong power cable? If is a two prong power cable, see if you can convert that to a three prong. You can get an adapter for that at Radio Shack.

luce_skywalker

Audiophyte
Same problem with Yamaha/Paradigm Studio 40? Any ideas?

I just bought a Yamaha 5790 and connected my Studio 40 to it. At loud volumes, with no music, I can hear hissing coming out of the speakers. I did not notice that when I had Onkyo $100 receiver.

Can anybody help my understand what may be the reason for that? I don't have power conditioners or anything, I am just running it through a regular Belkin power extension outlets.

Is this because the receiver is so much more powerful than my first one and I can hear the line noise or my speakers/receiver are damaged?
Thanks,

Everybody.

-Luce

There are several potential reasons for this. For Mitch, the problem may simply be that you are engaging a DSP or 5.1 channel mode on an analogue mono or stereo cable channel - in which case the center chanel might simply be decoding more noise than anything.

For the Yamaha vs. Onkyo it could simply be that you are getting a reasonable amount of input noise that is now being amplified a bit more than it was previously. What you should probably do is note at what volume you listen to your music at (when it's fairly loud) and then stop the player and notice if there is hiss at that volume. In addition, switch inputs to see if the hiss changes based on the source component. You may also be getting interference through your input cables (you can simply disconnect them at the receiver to check).

The higher end Yamaha receivers (RX-V1500 and RX-V2500) are extremely quiet, but we haven't tested the HTR series so it's possible that they produce a little more noise on the outputs. But there's a lot to check before blaming the receiver.

I would first check the sources and also realize that a little bit of hiss is not necessarily a problem if it in't audible from the listening position and if it only occurs at volume levels beyond what you typically listen to.

luce_skywalker

Audiophyte
It's the receiver.

Thanks, Clint, for your reply.

I went to Best Buy and asked them to plug the receiver and connect it to a speaker. Same thing, when you bring volume to high enough level, you can hear the tweeter hissing. So I guess it's the Yammy's design. We also plugged it in Monster Power 3500 to see if it's power, no improvement there.

It did not bother me during listening too much, though. It only apparent when volume is in the upper 4th of the volume range.

Thanks, everybody,

-Luce

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis