[Help] Denon ZVRX2400 and Q Acoustic 3050's - Popping sound

K

KhabibSmesh

Audiophyte
Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. I wanted to get some opinions / help.

I purchased the above set up late last year. They work great with one exception - when playing movies through a USB stick on my TV the speakers make a popping sound. I then tested the same movie via my Chromecast and there was no popping sound.

I don't get popping sounds when listening to normal TV, Spotify Connect, PS4 games/apps...so I really think it is the USB. I cannot find a solution to this but I would like to resolve it.

I have tried using an external hard drive powered from the mains but no luck. Also tried both USB ports but not luck (However, Chromecast has no issues?). I'm starting to think it is something to do with the bitrate but I am not that techy to really know if this is an issue. The TV is ~5 years old so I'm wondering if USB 2.0 is the bottleneck here and causing the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. I wanted to get some opinions / help.

I purchased the above set up late last year. They work great with one exception - when playing movies through a USB stick on my TV the speakers make a popping sound. I then tested the same movie via my Chromecast and there was no popping sound.

I don't get popping sounds when listening to normal TV, Spotify Connect, PS4 games/apps...so I really think it is the USB. I cannot find a solution to this but I would like to resolve it.

I have tried using an external hard drive powered from the mains but no luck. Also tried both USB ports but not luck (However, Chromecast has no issues?). I'm starting to think it is something to do with the bitrate but I am not that techy to really know if this is an issue. The TV is ~5 years old so I'm wondering if USB 2.0 is the bottleneck here and causing the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
It sounds like a decoding error. You don't say what the TV is. However I suspect you have the movies in a package on your USB stick the TV does not support. For instance the MKV package is quite popular, but a lot of devices don't support it.

So your solution is to go to your TV manual and see exactly what formats are supported. Then you need to make sure that the movies are loaded on the USB stick in a format the TV supports. That means the correct codecs and the file box.

K

KhabibSmesh

Audiophyte
Hi, I forgot to note - sound does play, just there are intermittent popping sounds at certain points

Did you interpret as I only get popping sounds?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi, I forgot to note - sound does play, just there are intermittent popping sounds at certain points

Did you interpret as I only get popping sounds?
No. What you are getting is a classic decoding error. You are using an unsupported codec or container, I'm pretty certain.

Playing form a stick is totally different from streaming from Chromecast or Spotify. Playing from a stick is like playing a disc. So you would have the same issues or worse playing a disc that the decoder did not have the right specs to play.

K

KhabibSmesh

Audiophyte
Hi again - thanks so much, you've just cured my sanity at least!

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? I wanted to buy a new TV anyway

Thanks again

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi again - thanks so much, you've just cured my sanity at least!

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? I wanted to buy a new TV anyway

Thanks again
By your brand of speaker I suspect you are in the UK. As always you have to check specs carefully.

However it is not a good idea to use a TV as the switch. Everything should go to receiver and then to TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis