HELP - Def Tech 8080st vs. 8060st

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have a question about the 8080 vs. 8060 setup

I picked up a Pioneer SC-57 receiver and went with 8060st, 8060hd and 8040bp (free as part of promo). I paid just about $2,300 (before tax) for the speakers in my this setup.

My goal was to have something semi-decent till I moved and setup my dedicated room with separates and higher end speakers.

Currently, this setup is in my home office downstairs. The room is 25x15 but I use about a third of it for my office.

I like my 8060 setup but for some reason I'm thinking the 8080 setup might be even better. I got quoted another $900 to go with a full blown 8080 setup. I won't be able to hear the 8080 setup because it's going to be a special order.

So, my question to everybody is will the 8080 setup be overkill for my current situation. Will they be that much better than the 8060 setup I currently have? I've been looking at a nice cd player and that $900 could go there if the change to 8080 setup would not make that much of a difference. I'm in a bind because I can't hear what the 8080 setup sounds like.

Thoughts/Opinions?

THANKS!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hola GMaxx and welcome to the forum! Let's figure out what you're hoping to achieve, so that your possible $900 expenditure is well spent.

Is the system as currently constructed lacking in a specific area to your ears? How so? Is it dialed in, with attention to the room as well? Bipolar speakers like plenty of room to the rear. How much have you played around with placement?

As is, that's a pretty good system, and if you have it calibrated correctly, should be quite enjoyable. I think the larger speakers would get you slightly more of essentially similar sound, not much difference in sound quality, but higher output capability.

The only thing that jumps out at me is that you have not listed a sub, so you're presumably relying on the built in jobs in the towers, correct? If so, I think that $900 of proper subwoofage may be worth considering, rather than upgrading your main speakers. Then again, that's a big room, and larger mains may be the answer.

Tell us more. Details about room and setup, listening habits...

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would spend that $1000 on two Rythmik FV12 Direct Servo subwoofers, instead of upgrading to the 8080.

I would not upgrade from 8060 to 8080 since the only difference will be slightly more bass on the 8080.

And you definitely don't need to spend the $900 towards a CD player or DAC. Just get a BD player, like the Panasonic, that can bitstream to your AVR.

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
Hola GMaxx and welcome to the forum! Let's figure out what you're hoping to achieve, so that your possible $900 expenditure is well spent.

Is the system as currently constructed lacking in a specific area to your ears? How so? Is it dialed in, with attention to the room as well? Bipolar speakers like plenty of room to the rear. How much have you played around with placement?

As is, that's a pretty good system, and if you have it calibrated correctly, should be quite enjoyable. I think the larger speakers would get you slightly more of essentially similar sound, not much difference in sound quality, but higher output capability.

The only thing that jumps out at me is that you have not listed a sub, so you're presumably relying on the built in jobs in the towers, correct? If so, I think that $900 of proper subwoofage may be worth considering, rather than upgrading your main speakers. Then again, that's a big room, and larger mains may be the answer.

Tell us more. Details about room and setup, listening habits...
Hi guys, I appreciate the quick responses.

Yup, I've been playing around with their setup. I've got them about 26 inches away from my back wall and about 18 inches away from the side walls.

I've relied on the MCACC from my SC-57 to set calibrate my speakers. For some strange reason though sometimes MCACC says my front speakers have their polarity reversed. My wiring is correct so I can't think why it would do this. The speakers are set to Large and I'm just running speaker wire with no LFE cable.

I didn't want to have sub because I wanted to keep more room and less things for my lil monster to play with. This is one of the reasons I went with the Def Techs so that I didn't really have to get a sub.

I think the problem may be is that I have the setup at the fron of my room and then my office is at the other end facing the setup about 18 feet away.

I guess when it comes down to it I feel that I'm missing that slam from my system. I was considering using my Pioneer as a pre-amp and getting a used
Bryston 3 channel amp to run my fronts but that's much $$$. However, I figured I could justify that because those amps are bullet proof and I could use it later on down the road. I'm in my early 40s but still play my Metallica, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and etc. The music makes me more productive at home. LOL.
Also, I'm a stickler for accuracy. I don't know but maybe I need to give the 8060 some more time to break in but I just feel that I'm missing out on some accuracy. Soundstage is good though. Hey, I'm a newbie so what do I know but those are just my feelings.

BTW, I was going to spread out the $900 maybe to an Onkyo s5vl player for $350 or my dealer wants me to get an CA Azur 650 for $450 from him. Currently, using my PS3 to play my CDs so I thought that might be a problem but not sure.

THANKS AGAIN!

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
I would spend that $1000 on two Rythmik FV12 Direct Servo subwoofers, instead of upgrading to the 8080.

I would not upgrade from 8060 to 8080 since the only difference will be slightly more bass on the 8080.

And you definitely don't need to spend the $900 towards a CD player or DAC. Just get a BD player, like the Panasonic, that can bitstream to your AVR.
Yeah, that was the feeling that kept nagging at me. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but I couldn't listen to the 8080 so I thought maybe I was missing something. My dealer suggested a full Mythos ST setup for another $1800 but for my situation now I'm not going that route and would rather save that money for my next setup.

Thanks again!

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I would allow some time for the speakers to really break in...thats a great system and they will sound good just takes some time to used to....I also have def tech and it to some time to really get what I wanted out of my set up because of placement and sound levels...so just give some time and play with it and you will be very happy....the only thing I would also suggest would be a dedicated sub that will def give you more base than the tower subs...I have the 7002 and Im running and external sub adn it def makes a huge difference...just my thoughts

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
I would allow some time for the speakers to really break in...thats a great system and they will sound good just takes some time to used to....I also have def tech and it to some time to really get what I wanted out of my set up because of placement and sound levels...so just give some time and play with it and you will be very happy....the only thing I would also suggest would be a dedicated sub that will def give you more base than the tower subs...I have the 7002 and Im running and external sub adn it def makes a huge difference...just my thoughts
This is my first nice system in a long while so I guess I'll probably let these guys break in so more and then see if I want an extrernal sub. However, I see my lil monster eyeing my speakers already. lol. I just didn't want to have buyer's remorse for the 8060 if I didn't get the 8080 but it seems that the general concensus is if I'm really not happy then to go add a sub. I'm not really willing to go beyond the 3k mark much right now for speakers and thought the 8060 setup was a great bang for your buck system at 2300.

THANKS!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys, I appreciate the quick responses.

I guess when it comes down to it I feel that I'm missing that slam from my system. I was considering using my Pioneer as a pre-amp and getting a used
Bryston 3 channel amp to run my fronts but that's much $$$. However, I figured I could justify that because those amps are bullet proof and I could use it later on down the road. I'm in my early 40s but still play my Metallica, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and etc. The music makes me more productive at home. LOL.
Also, I'm a stickler for accuracy. I don't know but maybe I need to give the 8060 some more time to break in but I just feel that I'm missing out on some accuracy. Soundstage is good though. Hey, I'm a newbie so what do I know but those are just my feelings.

THANKS AGAIN!
I believe the Def Techs are an easy load, so I doubt that you will benefit at all from the lighter load. I would agree with invest in sub, but only for movies. If you are mostly doing music, then I'm certain the 8060s have plenty. If you want heart-stopping movie effects then get the sub and you will find your "slam".

But, the next step up on speakers is always nice.

Stickler for accuracy: The bipolar speakers are excellent and know for huge soundstage. But, the tradeoff is a little loss of the focus of the music, you have to decide which you prefer.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I auditioned the 8060 and couldn't hear the 8080s. 8060s sounded good, but too much money without an audition. The 8060 wasn't as good as the Goldenear Triton 2s and those are in the ballpark of the 8080s. Since I could audition those, I went with them.

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
I believe the Def Techs are an easy load, so I doubt that you will benefit at all from the lighter load. I would agree with invest in sub, but only for movies. If you are mostly doing music, then I'm certain the 8060s have plenty. If you want heart-stopping movie effects then get the sub and you will find your "slam".

But, the next step up on speakers is always nice.

Stickler for accuracy: The bipolar speakers are excellent and know for huge soundstage. But, the tradeoff is a little loss of the focus of the music, you have to decide which you prefer.
I think I'm def. preferring the accuracy and focus for music. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The saying that bipole, dipole, omnipole speakers are not as accurate and "focus" as monopoles is false.

A lot of other things may affect this accuracy such as proper speaker placement, room acustics, source, EQ/tones/DSP. Or just the speaker nuisance itself. But just because it is bipole does not make it inaccurate and "unfocused".

There are a lot more monopoles that are inaccurate and unfocused. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind that everyone may have a different opinion.

DenPureSound preferred the DefTech BP7001SC over the GoldenEar & the BP-8080.

Others may prefer the opposite.

I had both the BP7001SC & BP7000SC at one point. I couldn't tell the difference when I turned down the bass on the BP7000SC.

Try cutting the subwoofer level on your DefTech BP. Try 10 o'clock or even 9 o'clock. Use external subs. It may improve your sound quality.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that was the feeling that kept nagging at me. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but I couldn't listen to the 8080 so I thought maybe I was missing something. My dealer suggested a full Mythos ST setup for another $1800 but for my situation now I'm not going that route and would rather save that money for my next setup.

Thanks again!
2 different vendors steered me away from the Mythos and towards the 8080 or 8060. They said they were nice, but mostly the money went to the form factor. The 8080 suited my style better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis