Help: Connect Studio Monitors to AV receiver + smart TV + PC

nosham

nosham

Audiophyte
Good morning everyone and greetings from Italy !

I need your advice guys ! :)

I am currently using a beautiful studio monitor M-audio latest model (M3-8) three way 2.1 setting (everything is all active) hooked up to my PC through an audio interface from Roland (quad capture). I am using XLR cables.

I previously used also a Bose 2.1 and logitech THX system connected with a mini jack to my computer soundcard but no matter what , it seems nothing can match a great STUDIO monitors set up. So i really enjoy the cleanlinesses of my speakers, really pure , I actually wish that i do not have to switch back to NON-studio speakers...ever..

however ! I am now getting a SMART TV and probably a PS4 , therefore I would like to have EVERYTHING connected together and manage everything from my PC : for example stream a movie to my tv via wireless and still use the same speakers, as for mp3 , tv and so on...
I know that in order to do so , I'll have to get an AV RECEIVER, but , while doing some researches , I found no real good information on how to connect my active studio monitors with xlr to the 7.1 AV RECEIVER !
I would like to get one of those AV receiver with WIFI , bluetooth and 4k ready , hdmi 2.0 . I can spend 1000$ easily no problems.

Note that I will have no problems in purchasing another 2 or 3 monitors in order to have all separate channels and complete the set up..
I am also aware that there are plenty of very high end speakers for livingroom that costs thousands of dollars which may sound better than my studio monitors , however I would like to know if there is any way to keep using studio monitors ... (may be buying passive studio monitors ???)
I think ive seen an extremely expensive yamaha av receiver which has in the back my xlr connections but it costs 3000$ (it's quite a lot for the receiver alone!!) .. and im not even sure that will solve my problem... please can you advise me on what I should do ? what is the best solution if I have a good budget ?
The ideal , in my view would be to connect everything through HDMI , so i can manage all with the AV receiver... however how can i get an hdmi from my speakers or usb audio interface ?
Please advise me the most audiophile solution and as well an economical one, if there is one...

thank you guys so much in advance ! I trust you are very professional as I ve read some of your posts and you SOUND great !!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I am currently using a beautiful studio monitor M-audio latest model (M3-8) three way 2.1 setting (everything is all active) hooked up to my PC through an audio interface from Roland (quad capture). I am using XLR cables.

I previously used also a Bose 2.1 and logitech THX system connected with a mini jack to my computer soundcard but no matter what , it seems nothing can match a great STUDIO monitors set up. So i really enjoy the cleanlinesses of my speakers, really pure , I actually wish that i do not have to switch back to NON-studio speakers...ever..

however ! I am now getting a SMART TV and probably a PS4 , therefore I would like to have EVERYTHING connected together and manage everything from my PC : for example stream a movie to my tv via wireless and still use the same speakers, as for mp3 , tv and so on...
I know that in order to do so , I'll have to get an AV RECEIVER, but , while doing some researches , I found no real good information on how to connect my active studio monitors with xlr to the 7.1 AV RECEIVER !
I would like to get one of those AV receiver with WIFI , bluetooth and 4k ready , hdmi 2.0 . I can spend 1000$ easily no problems.

Note that I will have no problems in purchasing another 2 or 3 monitors in order to have all separate channels and complete the set up..
I am also aware that there are plenty of very high end speakers for livingroom that costs thousands of dollars which may sound better than my studio monitors , however I would like to know if there is any way to keep using studio monitors ... (may be buying passive studio monitors ???)
I think ive seen an extremely expensive yamaha av receiver which has in the back my xlr connections but it costs 3000$ (it's quite a lot for the receiver alone!!) .. and im not even sure that will solve my problem... please can you advise me on what I should do ? what is the best solution if I have a good budget ?
The ideal , in my view would be to connect everything through HDMI , so i can manage all with the AV receiver... however how can i get an hdmi from my speakers or usb audio interface ?
Please advise me the most audiophile solution and as well an economical one, if there is one...

thank you guys so much in advance ! I trust you are very professional as I ve read some of your posts and you SOUND great !!!
You need a receiver with pre outs and RCA to xlr adapters for your active speakers.

I don't think any receivers have xlr outs but pre/pros do.

nosham

nosham

Audiophyte
ok are you saying that I can either use an AV Receiver with xlr outs (ive found few online: Yamaha CX-A5000 , Marantz AV7701 or AV8801 ) or a pre-processor ?

Like GrantedEV said, my studio monitors already have rca inputs, however can i use it with any av receiver ? I guess not because even if there are rca inputs, my monitors are active powered right ?

speaking about a pre-processor , which one would you suggest? and can i connect the pre-processor to the av receiver to have all functions of wifi and bluetooth connectivity in once ?

Please understand that I would like to have a solution that requires less cabling less separate parts and less power as possible. That's why i was initally looking at one of those Onkyo AV receiver with all-in features 4k upscaling , wifi etc...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ok are you saying that I can either use an AV Receiver with xlr outs (ive found few online: Yamaha CX-A5000 , Marantz AV7701 or AV8801 ) or a pre-processor ?

Like GrantedEV said, my studio monitors already have rca inputs, however can i use it with any av receiver ? I guess not because even if there are rca inputs, my monitors are active powered right ?

speaking about a pre-processor , which one would you suggest? and can i connect the pre-processor to the av receiver to have all functions of wifi and bluetooth connectivity in once ?

Please understand that I would like to have a solution that requires less cabling less separate parts and less power as possible. That's why i was initally looking at one of those Onkyo AV receiver with all-in features 4k upscaling , wifi etc...
Yes, you can use those speakers with the right AVR, You need one with pre outs and you connect RCA form the pre outs to the unbalanced RCA ins on your speakers.

nosham

nosham

Audiophyte
thank you very much for your replies ,

I found 2 speakers with all in one features that i want, and they are both from ONKYO : one is TX-NR838 which i can find under 1000$ , and the PR-SC5530 that costs 3000$ ... both have pre-outs but the first one has only UNBALANCED pre outs and the more expensive one has ALSO balanced pre outs...

I would like to know if i am going to lose sound quality using unbalanced ! Because if it's about the same , well i would be better off saving 2000$ for sure !!

thank you very much for your time !!!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Those Yamaha and Marantz units you mentioned ARE pre-processors.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

thank you very much for your replies ,

I found 2 speakers with all in one features that i want, and they are both from ONKYO : one is TX-NR838 which i can find under 1000$ , and the PR-SC5530 that costs 3000$ ... both have pre-outs but the first one has only UNBALANCED pre outs and the more expensive one has ALSO balanced pre outs...

I would like to know if i am going to lose sound quality using unbalanced ! Because if it's about the same , well i would be better off saving 2000$ for sure !!

thank you very much for your time !!!
I would avoid Onkyo, they have reliability problems.

The Marantz and Yamaha units are pre pros and have no amps. They will drive your active speakers fine, but if you chose that route, and its a good one, you will need active speakers for your center and surrounds, or if not powered or active speakers, you will have to provide power amps.

If there is a long wire run to your active speakers, you really need balanced xlr. This will likely avoid a lot of noise problems also. Balanced xlr is ideal for long runs and the reason it was developed.

nosham

nosham

Audiophyte
about the central speaker, do you think i could hook a passive normal speaker as well or any decent active/passive studio monitor can do the job? what-s the best choice for the central speaker ? i would like to use a studio monitor as well....

nosham

nosham

Audiophyte
anybody out there?

anyway , on another note... I've tried to connect my monitors directly to the integrated audio-card of my notebook (through 2 XLR > mini JACK ) and it sounds quite alike than with my audio interface roland capture with dedicated XLR to XLR balanced. I've also tried to connect through an unbalanced RCA > minijack and it seems that the sound is a bit worse but it might be just my impression due to testing one after another... Im not sure... actually both ROLAND QUAD CAPTURE and my internal sound card can work at 24bit / 192khz so even by using unbalanced instead of balanced it should be 99% the same .. in theory... am i right ?

Hungarian69

Hungarian69

Audiophyte

Hello, from Seattle, WA. I know many years passed. After tremendous research, I found the perfect and chip way and I want to shear it with you and anyone else interested. To enjoy every little sound what regular home theater speaker hiding from you and uncover them all with studio monitors. I'm not using center speaker anymore. Using front L & R, surround L & R and back high speakers. It feels like I'm a part of anything that I watch on my TV. What you will need is a ( Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter I connected to my mixer from the receiver. Onkyo TX-NR656 From the mixer, I have more control adjusting the power and the sound of the monitors. You can find inexpensive mixer from Amazon. BEHRINGER XENYX 502. I hope you find useful and enjoy the experience of the through sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
about the central speaker, do you think i could hook a passive normal speaker as well or any decent active/passive studio monitor can do the job? what-s the best choice for the central speaker ? i would like to use a studio monitor as well....
Ideally you want matching speakers left right and center. Or at least from the same manufacturer/model line. Many dedicated center channels are merely horizontally laid-out speakers to accommodate placement, not generally as good as using the same speaker as your left/right speakers. You could mix active/passive speakers as your avr (or pre-pro if you go that route) can handle the settings of level/delay to incorporate them whether all active or a mix with passive....

ps Now I notice how old a post I'm replying to since hungarian69 resurrected this old thread with his goofy setup....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis