MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Im currently on a budget so im looking for a sub from 300 - 500 usd. i had 3 in mind the PolkAudio PS12, Velodyne DPS-12 and The JBL northbridge E250.
Ive cut it down to the Veldyne dps-12 and the jbl 250.

the jbl is : 12" , 250 watts rms and 550 watts peak says down to 25Hz 499.99 but ive read reviews about it and a good price new from BestPriceAudioVideo 225(<-ebay)260(<- thier site)

the velodyne is 12" 200 wats rms and 400 watts peak down to 25Hz is about 599cad so about 450-500usd also heard good reviews.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I bought a Cadence XSUB 12" for my brother's apartment (as a gift) from Ubid. Got it here monday. Plugged it in. I am so pi$$ed. It's better than my $550 Velo. I may keep it, give the 12" V to my brother, and even get another one for the other corner of my room. It's a no name home sub, but the company is known for bass in the auto industry. The grills frame was busted. I called ubid and they had Cadence call me immediately and I had a new grill today. Amazing service. It's not audiophile quality, but it does what it's supposed to, and very very deeply. Not sure I'd recommend it for jazz or classical, but rock and rap - it's amazing. Excellent controls, heavy amp (claims 350 watts rms), heavy sub, etc... Check it out. (no it does not compare to a svs).

www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=601412458

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5762659512&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'll reiterate what Rutlanda said.... Hsu and SVS. I'm planning on saving up some money this summer and putting together a HT system...and right now an SVS sub is the front runner for me...the PB-10ISD. It's a 10" sub that runs +/- 3dB down to 20Hz at over 90dB! That's a lotta sub in a little package. It's only $429 too. Hsu is another good choice. Both of these companies should have awesome subs in your price range that will stomp all over your current considerations.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I'd echo that...I just received my SVS PB10-ISD about 2 and a half weeks ago...it is an absolute wall shaker. Looking at it online, I had no idea how big it was...when I pulled it out, it's like the size of a decent end table...really big and really powerful. I couldn't be more pleased...I am 100% positive I got more than I paid for...at $429, it's a steal.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
I looked at the svs and the hsu they both have crazy specs seems like the svs is better tho. Then i looked at the Cadence xsub 12" link whoa i think i might go with that one for the price and since Buckeyefan says it is better than his.Damn 70 ounce magnet thats heavy (velo12" is 55ounces). I think it will fit fine with my set up pioneer1014 7.1 with athena auditons. I hope the price stays the same buying soon! Thanks

W

WAF!

Audiophyte
SVS and HSU make great subs and in your price range the PB10-ISD is hard to beat. The HSU VTF-2 kicks butt and is on stereophile's recommended list. The PSB Subsonic 5i is also another excellent sub which is also on sterophile's recommended list.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above choices. The SVS will give you the best extension.

P

pocketchange

Audiophyte
Subjectively speaking

Might I suggest you cruise over to the VMPS website and check out their offerings. The Co. has won awards at the CES show in Vegas and has several different subs, one may fit your budget and if you are a DIYer they are available as kits. I'm very pleased with the Larger SUB in my little system.
(passive radiator .. 15" and 12" running in full frequency @ aprox. 150 lbs)

My neighbors love it too,
pc :D

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
pocketchange said:
Might I suggest you cruise over to the VMPS website and check out their offerings. The Co. has won awards at the CES show in Vegas and has several different subs, one may fit your budget and if you are a DIYer they are available as kits. I'm very pleased with the Larger SUB in my little system.
(passive radiator .. 15" and 12" running in full frequency @ aprox. 150 lbs)

My neighbors love it too,
pc :D
\
I'll second that. Also there's a VMPS Larger on Audiogon.com right now. Guys asking 525. Tell him 500 shipped and you'd probably get it. Add a 1000 watt Parts Express plate amp and there'll be no sub weaknesses in either quality or quantity. Also these woofers CANNOT bottom out. Drive it hard as you want but your house will suffer before the sub does. There's a 12" and 15" active woofers plus a 15" passive. VMPS has been receiving praise for their bass since the mid eighties as quality and power value leaders. These also do music exceptionally well. This sub will save you alot of money and have your friends mouths hanging open in awe, guarantee it. Nasa uses these subs for recreating super lows with power. Wonder why they chose VMPS?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
The cadence is an exceptional value, and sounds pretty good. I recomend getting 2 if you are going to run the cutoff above 70Hz (as with any sub). You will be impressed!

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Masterchief, Stay away from PolkAudio PS12, Velodyne DPS-12 and The JBL northbridge E250. Do yourself a favor, take a closer look at these subs. SVS SUBWOOFERS. I've been doing a lot of research on home theater and home audio. I've e-mailed SVS a few times this week and they seem to have there stuff together. And it seems the popular opinion that these subs are real good for the money.
www.svsubwoofers.com SVS PB10-ISD $429 or you can spend a lot more. They have a good selection of subwoofers for any system and any budget. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/svs-pb10-subwoofer-10-2004.html

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
I was looking at the svs but i live in canada and i dont kno how much the shipping would be if its not that much i would do it.thanks guys.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
MasterChief said:
I was looking at the svs but i live in canada and i dont kno how much the shipping would be if its not that much i would do it.thanks guys.
I live in Canada too, when you factor in duty costs (plus the hassle of cross-border shipping) and exchange rate plus shipping it's really hard to figure if its worth it. You have to look at your choices on a case by case basis.

I purchase online (several times a year - especially online photo printing) and the only time I consider it an option is if:

a) you really happen to come a really good bargain and can't get it anywhere else
b) if you shop from the U.S., buy american made products 'cause you can take advantage of not paying duties thanks to free-trade agreements.

Don't forget that when you ship the dimensions + the weight are factors that affect shipping costs. especially on a sub, i would bet that you're paying quite a bit more...

Good luck shopping, let us know how you make out with your purchase and if you do go the online/internet route.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
The STF2 is available in Canada and I'll tell you that it is not only very powerful, it is an exceptionally accurate sub, so it will sound fantastic with music as well, not just movies.

In case you didn't know the STF2 will shake your foundation, where ever you live (apartment or house). And it is not a big box.
Just another excellent design by Dr Hsu.

Look into it - you can go and audition it too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis