Help Choosing Component Video Cable

W

whoster69

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>First let me say that I'm new to all of this but have a strong background in computers.  This forum looks great and very useful.  

I just bought a JVC AV-36F704 36&quot; TV to go with my LiteOn LVD2002 DVD player.  Both support component video cabling.  I skimmed the component video cable definitive guide. &nbsp;It looks to have some very useful info but some a bit above my head and read through the forums here before posting. I have two questions: 

1. &nbsp;I would like to get people's recommendations on what component video cables they think are good and where I can buy them online.

2. &nbsp;Do 6 foot cables provide a better signal than 12 foot cables?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Whoster</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>whoster69,

Take a look at PartsExpress.com. &nbsp;They have a big selection. &nbsp;No need to spend big money on cables. &nbsp; You might also look at Radio Shack. &nbsp; Look at their Gold Series. &nbsp; They are priced pretty good and are good build quality. &nbsp;I tend to look more at build quality and ignore all the magical claims cable companies make. &nbsp;You will find that on this site and others, highend cables are generally thought of as a waste of money. &nbsp;I think the most expensive cable I use was about $25 dollars.

Oh, 6 and 12 ft cables. &nbsp; No difference. &nbsp;

Shinerman</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Go to target and check out the GE Prograde, $19.95 for a 12ft component cable that is very good. Also the RCA pro series and AR cables at best buy are good too. I thought the radio shack was a little to pricey for what they were, not any better than the others and twice the price.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I'm not so sure I agree with the last 2 comments. &nbsp;I too am also looking for component cables for my new HCTV box and have done extensive research on various companies claims. &nbsp;I agree that simple cables should work, however I also believe that you need to have silver connectors as well as good craftsmanship. &nbsp;Check out bettercables.com.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Bettercables is way overpriced for what they offer.  You can make a majority of their cables from Canare and Belden stock at a fraction of the price.  A better place to check is bluejeanscable.com.  They tell you upfront what cable and connector they use and charge reasonable prices.  BTW....did you check out the component video cable article on the main site?  Page 3 is of special interest (http://audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/ComponentVideoCables_3.php).  The article doesn't tell you exactly what cable is being looked at but the picture should make it obvious.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks Ed. &nbsp;You are absolutely right. &nbsp;These cables look to be made from the same materials but are very fairly priced. &nbsp;

Apart from the issues with flexibility, do you have a preference between the Belden 7710A or 1694A versus the Canare L-5CFB or V3-5CFB?</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : Thanks Ed.  You are absolutely right.  These cables look to be made from the same materials but are very fairly priced.  

Apart from the issues with flexibility, do you have a preference between the Belden 7710A or 1694A versus the Canare L-5CFB or V3-5CFB?
Performance wise, there won't be any differences between the cables you mentioned.  I went with Canare mainly because it was easier to find online - cheap too.  Plus I also have the tools to make my own cables.  This what I would recommend to do since it's fairly easy.  The tools are little pricey but well worth it.  V3-5CFB is very bulky and stiff so I would only recommend it for long runs (2M or more).  L-5CFB is the same as the internal wires of V3-CFB but easier to work with for short runs (1M or less).

Markertek.com and Performanceaudio.com (call for pricing - ask for Scott) were the sources I used.

If you want more DIY info, I can point you to some good sites.</font>

R

redsail88

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>ED27,

What type of connectors are you using on the cables you made? &nbsp;Were they they crimp type or the solder type? &nbsp;I am interested in more DIY info so any info you can point me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
redsail88 : <font color='#000000'>ED27,

What type of connectors are you using on the cables you made?  Were they they crimp type or the solder type?  I am interested in more DIY info so any info you can point me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks</font>
<font color='#000000'>I used the matching Canare crimp connectors. &nbsp;The connectors are well made and easy to use but I wish they clamped on tighter to my components. &nbsp;If you have tight runs, you should definitely look at stranded cables vs the solid type. &nbsp;Belden will have more to offer in this regard. &nbsp;If you want some specific suggestions, let me know.

Also, I just ordered some solderless locking RCA connectors from Calrad (30-607s) that I will use for an interconnect project. &nbsp;I'll post some results when I get them in.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi Ed, what are your thoughts in regards to soddering the ends of the conectors to that of the cable? &nbsp;I noticed that bluejeanscables don't sodder their connectors, rather they use crimp connectors. &nbsp;From everything that I have read, it seems as though connectors that are soddered onto cables &quot;out perform&quot; cables that are not soddered. &nbsp;In your experience have you noticed a difference in picture quality or performance?</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : Hi Ed, what are your thoughts in regards to soddering the ends of the conectors to that of the cable?  I noticed that bluejeanscables don't sodder their connectors, rather they use crimp connectors.  From everything that I have read, it seems as though connectors that are soddered onto cables &quot;out perform&quot; cables that are not soddered.  In your experience have you noticed a difference in picture quality or performance?
A quality crimp connection is no better/no worse than a quality solder connection and vice versa.  You'll find many opinions on this subject but I haven't seen any scientific proof to support the subjective claims.  With the Canare crimp system, it's easier (IMO) to get consistent results from connection to connection.  The Canare tools make it very easy.  Soldering is a combination of art and science and leaves less room for error - especially for people just starting out to make their own cables.  Even some of the major companies have inconsistencies with their solder jobs.  I have one Monster cable that has a decent solder connection on one end but horrible on the other.  Some of the Straightwire cable wasn't too impressive either.

Comparing my homemade Canare cable (crimp) vs. $200 Straightwire cable (soldered) - there was no difference.  Even with a HD signal.  Same result from audio interconnects I made vs. Straightwire, Monster, MIT and DH Labs.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis