help choosing a Def tech sub

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
I currently have the Mythos II and Mythos III next to my pioneer elite, I am interested in buying a subwoofer to go with this set up, my room is not big at all, I am sitting about 10' from the set up, I was looking at the supercube II and supercube I, I think, one was like 1500 watts or something like that, I could get a smoking deal on one of those, my questions is the following, is the supercube I overkill for a small room? also how low (frequenzy) should I set my sub? thank you for your help.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
skasol said:
I currently have the Mythos II and Mythos III next to my pioneer elite, I am interested in buying a subwoofer to go with this set up, my room is not big at all, I am sitting about 10' from the set up, I was looking at the supercube II and supercube I, I think, one was like 1500 watts or something like that, I could get a smoking deal on one of those, my questions is the following, is the supercube I overkill for a small room? also how low (frequenzy) should I set my sub? thank you for your help.
I listened to the Supercube (forget which one) and thought it was a good sub. Personally, I think you are better off going with the more powerful sub. It is easier to turn down a more powerful sub than it is to get more from a smaller one. That way, you are less likely to need to upgrade in the future.

As far as how low to set the frequency, are you talking about crossover? Most use a 80hz crossover, some like higher, some lower. Depends on your equipment, setup and tastes.

Jack

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Super cubes have unrealistic power figures, and unrealistic lab results.

HSU and SVS are the best for the money, they are bigger physically though.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
For movies, you definitely want the Cube I. With the Mythos, you'll want to use an 80Hz Xover min.

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
thank you guys, the reason why I am sticking with the def techs, it's because once again I can get a smoking deal, I can get the Supercube for $300. the one that sells for 1199.99 so I can't pass that on, it's a heck of a deal, so I want to take advantage of it. brand new too.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If it's possible I would buy two for that price and I am not joking around. I really mean it.

Nick

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nick250 said:
If it's possible I would buy two for that price and I am not joking around. I really mean it.

Nick
I agree. Even if they lie about their specs, 2 SCI's for 600 is a steal.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No joke, should have said that from the beginning. Now where do you live so I can buy them out from under you?:D:D:D

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
kgb540 said:
The SVS/HSU bandits are out trying to hijack again :eek:
Well then step up to the plate and make your own recommendations.

Nick

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
kgb540 said:
I think the def-morons need a dictionary so they can look up the word hijack, which their post just did.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
kgb540 said:
Don't mind us, just go on about your business blowing your hard earned money...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you had read the posts right before yours, then you would know that we decided in favor of the Def Techs because they were only $300 a piece. Now if we were shills then we would still be ranting about HSU/SVS brands, because damn, it just doesn't get any better for suggested retail.

Of course now I sound like a shill defending it.:D

K

kgb540

Audioholic
SuperCube 1's for the price the original poster mentioned are a sure thing. I certainly would go for that model under these circumstances. Sheep I didnt hijack the thread because as Seth=L pointed out, I waited until some resolution was made by the educated Audioholic members before I made my comment. Once a pretty obvious agreement was made, the topic had a good conclusion so I commented. Moron???????? O-U-C-H. I dont own Def Tech so refer to me as Von Schweikert moron in the future please. I also dont have a hate-on for either HSU or SVS. In fact I have owned numerous subs from both companies. For the price, they are great values no doubt. what I do have more of a problem with is when a member takes time to ask his fellow members an honest question about a SPECIFIC item(s) and he/she has to wade through posts about items he obvioulsy doesnt care about. If he wanted our suggestions, he would have asked. Anyhow, everyone have a good and safe Thanksgiving.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis