help choosing 5.1 speakers

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
I'm trying to start building a good system. right now i have an Onkyo TX-SR601S receiver and some old old speakers. I am looking to spend around $1200 for 5.1 speakers. the room i am putting it in is not very big so i was planning on using bookshelf speakers on stands for the front, and some bipole speakers for surrounds. right now i am leaning towards polk RTi4's up front, FXi3's in back, and a CSi3 in the center. havent made any decisions on a sub yet.

i just wanted to see what people thought about this plan, and if there was a better route to take since i am new to the whole thing.. Thanks

U

Unregistered

If you're planning on going with the rti series I would do it soon. Circuit city at least is closing out this line. If you act soon you could even go up to the rti 8's in front (if you have the room). I've seen them as low as $149 Each. Just thought I would let you know.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
Polk's are great, but if you up your budget by $100, you could get an Aperion Audio 5.1 system. Check them out www.aperionaudio.com. There's a pretty good review on this site for them too.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
does anyone know the difference between the polk RTi and monitor series, the specs for the RTi seem a little better, but i know those are just numbers

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
Try to audition Monitor Audio (Silver or Bronze series), it might fit your budget

T

teaPOT

Wharfedale Home Cinema 6?

hello, am thinking of getting the above? can't seem to find any review on this speakers system. Any help will be much appreciated :)

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
thanks for all the recomendations, anyone know anywhere in the NC area (or dallas till 7/30) that i can audition the aperions, monitors, or ascends?

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
I've decided to move away from the polks. it's come down to either:
a) the aperion 522d's with 8" sub ($1299)
b) ascend CBM-170's with HSU STF-2 10" sub ($1138)
c) axiom Epic Midi home theater ($1164)

has anyone heard both these sets of speakers? i have heard more about aperion, and i like the fact they have free return shipping, but i like the surrounds of the axiom better. my living room is small so the couch is against the rear wall, from what i have read i think the bipole surrounds would work better for this configuration.

let me know your thoughts, thanks

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I have heard all except for the Aperion sub.

The Aperion 522d sounded thinner and not as full bodied. They are smaller speaker than the Ascend CBM-170, which probably accounts for a lot of the difference. Probably not a big deal for HT application, but for music it truly does.

Hsu makes quality subs that get high praise. I have read good things about the Aperion 10 and 12 inch subs, but nothing on the 8 inch.

annunaki

annunaki

2 pairs of the PSB Alpha B $500.00 (retail) $250.00 pr. (bookshelf speakers)

1 PSB Alpha C (center) $229.00 ea.

1 PSB Subsonic Zero i (subwoofer) $329.00

System total: $1058.00 from an authorized dealer

This is a great budget system. The bookshelves made Stereophile's recommended components list. For $1228.00 you could upgrade to the Subsonic 5 i which also made Stereophile's recommended components list. This system would impress for music or movies. Even for those with critical ears, especially when they hear the price tag.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
2 pairs of the PSB Alpha B $500.00 (retail) $250.00 pr. (bookshelf speakers)

1 PSB Alpha C (center) $229.00 ea.

1 PSB Subsonic Zero i (subwoofer) $329.00

System total: $1058.00 from an authorized dealer

This is a great budget system. The bookshelves made Stereophile's recommended components list. For $1228.00 you could upgrade to the Subsonic 5 i which also made Stereophile's recommended components list. This system would impress for music or movies. Even for those with critical ears, especially when they hear the price tag.

I'll second Annunaki's recommendation. PSB are very good speakers!

Cheers :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis