Help choose- Pioneer 84txsi, Yam V2700, Sony DA5200

M

mvrock

Audiophyte
I'm going to purchase a receiver and I'm considering the following three units:
Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSI
Yamaha RX-V2700
Sony STR-DA5200ES

I'm concerned with two factors - video conversion/scaling and overall sound performance. I can't find a single source/person that has reviewed all three to do a side-by-side performance comparison so any input anyone can give regarding the quality of sound and the performance of the video scaling would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
im picking the pioneer personally for my ht so id reccomend it

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
here's a vote for yamaha. you're going to get replies voting for each, more than likely. personally, my opinion is that the yamahas are built ultra solid, offer superb performance for their category and come from a company that i think knows a thing or two about music reproduction.

the rx-v2700 is my choice. i have the older rx-v2500 and love it. my dad has the rx-v2700 in a large dedicated theater room and loves it.

V

villeneuve

Audiophyte
The sony and the yamaha both can upconvert video, both have scalers and deinterlacers. The pioneer does not do any of this. It is more of an audio receiver than a video receiver whereas the other 2 are closer to 50/50 audio video. If you are not interested in the video upconversion than I would go with the pioneer. If the video end is important to you than the sony or yamaha are more what you are looking for. Also have you thought about the yamaha rxv2600? It does everything the 2700 does minus a little bit of amplifier power, the network audio ability, and the 2700 has a better scaler and deinterlacer then the 2600. The 2600 is available in the $750 range.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Only thing I will say is that I would scratch the Sony off the list. They don't have a good reputation for making good value receivers.

E

Estephens13

Enthusiast
villeneuve said:
The sony and the yamaha both can upconvert video, both have scalers and deinterlacers. The pioneer does not do any of this. It is more of an audio receiver than a video receiver whereas the other 2 are closer to 50/50 audio video. If you are not interested in the video upconversion than I would go with the pioneer. If the video end is important to you than the sony or yamaha are more what you are looking for. Also have you thought about the yamaha rxv2600? It does everything the 2700 does minus a little bit of amplifier power, the network audio ability, and the 2700 has a better scaler and deinterlacer then the 2600. The 2600 is available in the $750 range.
The Pioneer does indeed have scaling and upconvertion, with DCDI.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Estephens13 said:
The Pioneer does indeed have scaling and upconvertion, with DCDI.
I have to agree with Estephens13. Pioneer does have scaling and upconversion. I was looking at it just the other day. I haven't been able to compare it to any other units but I know it is a very cabable a/v unit.

V

villeneuve

Audiophyte
Yeah I am an idiot. I was thinking of the pioneer 82txsi. My bad!!

B

barrietheater

Audiophyte
I have just converted from Yamaha to Elite on the advise of of a pro installer.

He was right. The Elite is in a whole different category that the Yamaha's

Yamaha does not have the quality they used to.
My Elite is the 82TXS.
The diffeerence in the 84 is 10 more watts a channel which translates to a beefier power supply. A USB port on the rear and the inclusion of i-link.
And, OH a second smaller remote.

Am I happy with the Elite? You bet. It impresses me every time I turn it on.
I would not go to Yamaha after having the Elite

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
barrietheater said:

My Elite is the 82TXS.
The diffeerence in the 84 is 10 more watts a channel which translates to a beefier power supply. A USB port on the rear and the inclusion of i-link.

I think it was the Monster cables!:rolleyes:

You didn't say which Yamaha?

H

harold280z

Enthusiast
I'd take a very hard look at the Pioneer. I own one & I really like it. I also own an older Sony es 5000 My sony has more power but the pioneer has more current features.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
barrietheater said:

My Elite is the 82TXS.

I could not agree with you more BUT do keep in mind that the 82TXS has bi-polar transistors whereas the 84TXS has the mosfets. It is my understanding that the mosfets are better (as well as more efficient) than the bi-polar transistors in that the mosfets offer faster switching capablitities and are thus more expensive. Hence, the mosfets when pushed hard will not generate as much heat thereby improving sound quality and performance. The bi-polar transistors work very well but do generate a bit more heat. However, if the op plans on playing his system really loud or for extended periods of time the 84TXS would be a better choice imho.

T

Tyreman

Audioholic Intern
Its the Yamaha or the Pioneer.
IMHO.
Each has its own adherants:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis