Help Buying First Mid-Level AVR

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
I've always bought entry-level AVRs simply due to not being able to afford anything more. Never been happy with the ones I've had either. Currently I have an old Sony STR-something. It's in desperate need of upgrading as it has no HDMI ports, but all but one of my devices can use HDMI.

I'm looking to jump up to a mid-level AVR... I want to spend around $500, but I'm willing to go up to $800 (absolute maximum). So far, here's what I'm considering (ranked by preference):

1. Onkyo TX-SR607
2. Yamaha RX-V765
3. Denon AVR-1910

I have some concerns with the Onkyo, but I don't know enough about mid-level AVRs to know if they're legitimate concerns. I love the price, and I LOVE the 6 HDMI ports. I already have 4 HDMI devices, so that leaves me room for expansion.

My main concern is the upconversion. It only upconverts to 1080i. (Is that normal? Or is it "standard" for mid-level AVRs to upconvert to 1080p?) Currently, I only have one non-HDMI device (my Wii), so it's not a big deal... but I'm finicky when it comes to negatives.

I've also heard th Onkyo can run hot... hot enough to possibly damage the HDMI plugs. Does anyone have experience with that? Is that just a rumor?

My first choice was the Yamaha RX-V765, but while I was researching it I ran into the Onkyo. The Yamaha costs over $100 more, has only 4 HDMI ports (leaving me no room for expansion). So what is that extra $100 getting me?

The Denon is there because I've seen many recommendations for it in this price range, but mostly just opinionated "I like Denon" recommendations.

My setup is geared mostly around video... TV, Movies, Sports, Video games. I don't listen to music much, so that's a secondary concern. I'm using a Klipsch 5.1 speaker set (don't remember the model) and an LG LH90 LED TV. My living room is small, but opens up to another large open space on the left side.

So? Please, help me decide. I could include a lot more details, but I don't know what's relevant. Let me know if you need more information to give a recommendation.

Thanks!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You can pick up a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR707 for around $530 from Accessories For Less. I bought the TX-SR606 in my bedroom refurbished and it's been a good receiver. They also have the Onkyo Ht-rc180 for $630. The rc180 is network ready. The only thing to worry about with Onkyos is air circulation. They run warm and need plenty of air circulation. In an open rack leave at least 2" above and an inch to each side. If you have an enclosed cabinet you'll want to add a fan.

Keep in mind that you can always add a good quality 4-port HDMI switch cheap should 5 inputs not be enough.

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion. The 707 solves my upconverting worries... the only issue still is the heat they reportedly put out. I have a closed-in entertainment center, but the compartment it would go in is plenty bigger than the unit itself. (16.5" tall, 18" wide, 18" deep)

Even a new 707 would only be $630 from the Audioholics store (or $599 from Newegg if they ever get any in stock).

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't realize stepping up to the 707 would still be affordable. The next step up for the Yamaha is almost twice as much.

(Still looking for input, but I really like the 707 at this point.)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Denon has my vote for the reason BoredSysAdmin mentioned. Since video processing is a feature you're looking for, the Denon with the ABT chip would be great.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the suggestion. The 707 solves my upconverting worries... the only issue still is the heat they reportedly put out. I have a closed-in entertainment center, but the compartment it would go in is plenty bigger than the unit itself. (16.5" tall, 18" wide, 18" deep)
Depending on your TV it may do a better job upconverting than most receivers. I have pretty good TVs and I let them deal with it.

I have glass doors so what I did for my 606 was leave extra space above and drilled a 1" few holes in the shelf under it. Then I put a low voltage fan above and behind it to draw air out. The fan is on a temperature controlled switch. When the temperature in that shelf hits 80f the nearly silent fan comes on drawing air from the shelf below up through the receiver and out the back of the cabinet.

You can just make out the fan grill above the receiver and the
temperature sensor to the right of the receiver.​

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you have second look at Denon, since even mid-class models use Top of the line Anchor Bay ABT-2010 Chip, which offer top of the line up-conversion quality (better than Faroudja)
These a bit over your $500 budget, but still not overly expensive:
http://www.antonline.com/p_AVR-890-GP_648155.htm
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211244132&listingid=50492363

If you try harder/wait longer - you might even find better deals

*President Day sales is around the corner ;)
Just a cautionary note, the Denon AVR-1910 may not have the ABT2010 but the AVR-2310 does. Also, just because an AVR uses the ABT chip does not always mean it has top notch upscaling capabilities. If you want a top performing upscaler, you are better off buying a BD player that does it well. If you own one such BD player you will end up setting the AVR to pass through anyway, what a waste!

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
Depending on your TV it may do a better job upconverting than most receivers. I have pretty good TVs and I let them deal with it.
I have an LG LH90, which is a pretty good LED LCD. I don't know how to tell/find out if it does a good job at upconverting. A quick google search wasn't very useful.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Denon AVR2310CI. It has 5 HDMI ports, which gives me room for one for expansion. It does 1080p upconversion (with the ABT chip that was mentioned). It's a little more than I want to spend, but still below my absolute maximum. I've always skimped on receivers before, so I'd rather not skimp this time.

Current best price I've found is at the link provided by BoredSysAdmin ($675 shipped from buy.com).

Thank you for everyone for your comments. I really want to get a good piece of equipment this time and as much as I've read on AVRs, I still can't make heads or tails when so many brands *appear* to be nearly identical to me.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I think you have second look at Denon, since even mid-class models use Top of the line Anchor Bay ABT-2010 Chip, which offer top of the line up-conversion quality (better than Faroudja)
These a bit over your $500 budget, but still not overly expensive:
http://www.antonline.com/p_AVR-890-GP_648155.htm
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211244132&listingid=50492363

If you try harder/wait longer - you might even find better deals

*President Day sales is around the corner ;)
Good info from BoredSysAdmin -- the Denon sounds like a great choice for you. Just curious, what input sources are you upconverting; remember up-converting can still only do so much to improve low quality input.

Peace , Good Sound and Great Video,

Forest Man

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
Just curious, what input sources are you upconverting; remember up-converting can still only do so much to improve low quality input.
*Right now* I'm only upconverting a Wii. Not great graphics to begin with so not a big deal. Who knows what I might plug in later on.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
*Right now* I'm only upconverting a Wii. Not great graphics to begin with so not a big deal. Who knows what I might plug in later on.
I understand why people want to have the best upscaling capability in their AVR. In practical term though it really should not be a key consideration point because real world tests have time and again shown that the differences in PQ are hard to discern for people who own BD players that are known to perform well on DVDs such as the Panny BD60, PS3 etc.

The upper mid range models such as the AVR4310, 4810, 5308 Onkyo 5007 may do better than the average HD players but not anything below them. So for me, if I am limited by my budget, the ABT chip would not be a decisive factor at all. I have no doubt my $99 A30 and any of my BD players can upscale equal or better than any mid range AVRs. True, the AVR can upscale analog signals and deinterlace signals from cable boxes if that's important to you.

That being said, within the Denon line up, I would strongly suggest you go for the 3310 that has preouts. For some reasons, Denon decided to strip the preouts from their North American 230X models. Without preouts you are stuck if and when for whatever reasons you realize you need more power.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
A feature that I would not want to do without is Audyssey MultEQ or even better, MultEQ XT. I didn't research the Denon or Onkyo models you were considering, but they both probably have a versions of MultEQ.

AFAIK, Yamaha uses their own type of room correction that is considered to be less sophisticated than Audyssey.

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
The Denon 3310 is out of my "max" price range... but with changing technology how long do you think a receiver like that would last me before becoming dated? At this point I don't ever plan to add any devices that would use preouts. In a few years I might decide I want that, but it's not in the plans now.

So by the sounds of it, I shouldn't concern myself with the upconverting of the receiver as I can just pass the signal straight through and let my TV do the upconverting. (Not to mention I'm currently using nearly all HDMI anyways.)

I have been looking for units with the Audyssey EQ, as I have a strangely shaped room that it's hard to optimize the speaker location in. I haven't heard about MultEQ XT, but I'll go look into it.

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
I went into a local high-end home theater shop today, I mainly wanted to talk about cooling my entertainment center. The guy I talked to actually convinced me not to buy one of their products but to get a couple fans and do it myself. He also told me the best way to layout the fans. Based on that, I think he was a pretty honest guy.

After talking about that, I told him I was looking to get a new receiver, told him the models I was looking at and my budget, and asked him what he thought. Well, first thing he mentioned was that they were currently having a sale on the Yamaha RX-V1065... $799, which is at the absolute limit of what I'm willing to spend. The cheapest I've found for that unit online is $849 shipped, so after taxes their unit would be about the same price.

Any thoughts here on the Yamaha 1065? It only has 4 HDMI ports, but as someone else already said I can always get a switch down the road. I'm gonna bust the bank if I get the 1065... will I have any regrets? Would I get more for my $800 with something else?

(At this point it's between the Yamaha 1065 and the Denon 2310. The Denon should end up costing quite a bit less.)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon 3310 is out of my "max" price range... but with changing technology how long do you think a receiver like that would last me before becoming dated? At this point I don't ever plan to add any devices that would use preouts. In a few years I might decide I want that, but it's not in the plans now.

So by the sounds of it, I shouldn't concern myself with the upconverting of the receiver as I can just pass the signal straight through and let my TV do the upconverting. (Not to mention I'm currently using nearly all HDMI anyways.)

I have been looking for units with the Audyssey EQ, as I have a strangely shaped room that it's hard to optimize the speaker location in. I haven't heard about MultEQ XT, but I'll go look into it.
You rationale is totally valid as long as you can convince yourself you don't need to add power within the next 3 to 5 years. In that case I would go with the 2310. I think the 1065 has preouts but if you don't need them then the 2310 is a better choice in my opinion. Your will mostly not benefit from it's ABT as you will find it offers no better upscaling than you HD players but its another thing to play with, that is always good.:D

J

joypunk

Enthusiast
I think I've found my receiver. Thanks to some coupon codes and other discounts, I can get a brand new Denon 3310CI for about $850 delivered. Yes, that's over my max price... but come on... that's a $1300 MSRP receiver for $850! It serves all my needs and allows me the potential to add more later on.

Funny how I always end up spending slightly over the maximum amount I've setup as a budget.

Thank you everyone for your help! Looking forward to having a good receiver for once.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I've found my receiver. Thanks to some coupon codes and other discounts, I can get a brand new Denon 3310CI for about $850 delivered. Yes, that's over my max price... but come on... that's a $1300 MSRP receiver for $850! It serves all my needs and allows me the potential to add more later on.

Funny how I always end up spending slightly over the maximum amount I've setup as a budget.

Thank you everyone for your help! Looking forward to having a good receiver for once.
Don't wait, go for it!! You will get that ABT2010 VRS you always wanted, whether it will do anything for you or not, and preouts that allows you to add unlimited power if and when you need the extra power. It also has a very decent prepro section.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis