Help and assistance to set up new home cinema

D

Diktat

Enthusiast
Good morning everyone!

I'm currently in the process of setting up a completely new configuration for a home cinema installation, which will actually be my first "real" setup. I've made a lot of research on my end, and looked up all the different possibilities and configurations, but I am now reaching the point where I'm about to pull the trigger, and I have a few decisions remaining to make that can only be based on experience and expertise... Both of which I currently lack ;) This is why I'm coming here, to ask for your advice and assistance on finalizing and refining the selection for my future home cinema setup. I apologize in advance for any mistakes, English not being my first language!

Background:

Currently working abroad, I change countries every 2-3 years, and therefore I was looking into the possibilities of setting up a mobile system, something that can be packed into a shipping container and moved along with me everywhere I go. For the same reasons, I opted for a compromise and not setting up dedicated home cinema rooms, but rather something that could fit in any living room. The dedicated room home cinema will come later, when I return to my home country. The entire system will have to be shipped to the country where I'm currently living, so unfortunately availability is key in order to be able to receive everything at once. It will be very difficult to make supplementary orders or to have additional items if I forget something.

The current room where the system will be set up is a bit odd, and forcing me to make some tough choices. Fairly large, we are looking at 8 metres by 6.5 metres (or 26'3 by 21'4), thus making 52 m2 or 560 square feet. However, this is the main living room, and open on two sides, one towards the dining room and the other towards the hallway entrance. The ceiling is quite high, and cathedral-style, slanting noticeably towards the porch. When facing the future screen, it is roughly 8 metres high (26 feet) on the right, and 4 metres high (13 feet) on the left. This making it a bit awkward for atmos solution.

The entire setup will be used for most of our entertainment use, and the ration would be the following:
  • 70% movie watching
  • 25% gaming
  • 5% music

Initial decisions:

Given the situation explained in the previous paragraph, I have opted for the following decisions:
  1. To go with a videoprojector and screen rather than a TV for the full home cinema experience
  2. To go with an UST laser projector and motorized tensionned UST screen for the mobility aspects, and the fact that it is in a living room
  3. To go with a 7.2.4 setup to enjoy something to the fullest extent
  4. No in-wall speakers as everywhere I go I will be in rental houses

Initial selections and hesitations:

Regarding my initial choices, I went with a few selections, especially in regards to the speaker and projector selection. The ones in red are the ones that I'm still a bit unsure about, but I'd welcome any comments and advice about any of the choices:

Video:
  • Projector: Samsung LSP9T
  • Screen: Vividstorm S PRO 120" tab-tensioned floor-rising screen (UST ALR screen)
  • Blu-Ray: Here I have an odd choice. My initial selection was to be the Panasonic DP-UB9000, but it seems that it is out of stock everywhere... I was advised to get the Panasonic DP-UB820 instead, but would I lose a lot of the functionalities and quality?
  • Streaming/gaming: A PS5 to replace my PS4 Pro, and a Nvidia Shield for streaming purposes.
Speakers:
  • Front center: Klipsch RC-64
  • Front surround: Klipsch RF7-MKIII
  • Surround: Klipsch RP-502S or Klipsch RP-402S (the 502S are unavailable from my supplier until at least April, so the decision will come down to whether the 402S are already good enough for this system, or whether the 502S will show a noticeable difference.)
  • Rear surround: Klipsch RP-8000F
  • Subwoofer: Two Klipsch SPL-150 or a duo of SVS subwoofers if the difference is really noticeable. The configuration will be less harmonious, but possibly better quality.
  • Atmos: The style of the ceiling makes it impossible for me to use reverb or in-ceiling, so I've opted for Four Klipsch RP-500SA in Atmos mode. Still a bit unsure about this one
Support:

Here is where I have the most hesitations... On how to power the entire setup, and to make sure adequate support is given to drive the entire system. Here is where a lot of people sink in a lot of money, and without being a complete hi-fi audiophile, I would rather not compromise too much on quality for movies/gaming. So far I have two options, but these are by no means closed off, and I would welcome any proposal to set up the proper support of this system. Would these even be overkill for my system?

Option 1:
  • Marantz 8805 for video
  • Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 to power the RF7 MKIII front surrounds
  • Marantz MM7025 to power the RP8000F rear surrounds
  • Marantz MM8077 to power the remaining 7 channels (front center RC-64, two surrounds RP-502S or RP-402S, and four atmos RP-500SA)

Option 2:
  • Marantz 8015 home cinema amp for video, as well as to power 7 channels (front center RC-64, two surrounds RP-502S or RP-402S, and four atmos RP-500SA)
  • Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 to power the RF7 MKIII front surrounds
  • Marantz MM7025 to power the RP8000F rear surrounds

Power supply:

Given the fact that I generally live in areas where power supply is an issue, I alternate regularly between low quality city power and our home's generator, I have a voltage regulator for the house, but in addition I was thinking about something to clean up the power supply. What would be available would be along the lines of the :

• Inakustic AC-3500P

Cabling:

Here is where I am at a complete loss, since I haven't finalized the selections of all the configuration, I haven't been able to go with the cabling. I would be happy to hear any and all recommendations on this, I'd like to have proper, quality cables, without pouring thousands of dollars into them if possible.

Thank you all for reading me so far, I really appreciate all of your time, experience and assistance to help me finalize the selection, so I can make the order as soon as possible.

Best regards,

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What's with all these Amps? You don't need them the Marantz 8015 will power your whole system by itself and even that's Overkill if going with the Klipsch

D

Diktat

Enthusiast
What's with all these Amps? You don't need them the Marantz 8015 will power your whole system by itself and even that's Overkill
Hi Mazer, thanks for the reply! I actually started off wanting to separate the preamp and amp for the best possible quality, and then realized that in some of the larger-channel amps, the power per channel was not the best, and it became better to separate different speakers from smaller individual amps... Am I mistaken in that understanding?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Mazer, thanks for the reply! I actually started off wanting to separate the preamp and amp for the best possible quality, and then realized that in some of the larger-channel amps, the power per channel was not the best, and it became better to separate different speakers from smaller individual amps... Am I mistaken in that understanding?
IMO you are Mistaken in the Understanding.

And the Klipsch Subs are not the best performing stick with the SVS 2000 ported series or higher

D

Diktat

Enthusiast
IMO you are Mistaken in the Understanding.

And the Klipsch Subs are not the best performing stick with the SVS 2000 ported series or higher
Thanks a lot! Definitely going to switch over to SVS subs. The savings from reducing the power amps will let me upgrade that selection. What are your thoughts about the rest of the setup? Is Klipsch a good choice for mostly movies/gaming?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to recommend what speakers you may prefer or not. Best is if you like them, or can compare them to others to make a decision. Klipsch subs on a really good discount are viable....but less harmonious subs? Whut?

D

Diktat

Enthusiast
Hard to recommend what speakers you may prefer or not. Best is if you like them, or can compare them to others to make a decision. Klipsch subs on a really good discount are viable....but less harmonious subs? Whut?
Unfortunately given my circumstances, and having to buy from overseas and get it shipped to me, it will be very difficult to test them before purchase. I think I'm already going to switch to SVS for the subs, probably the PB-3000's, SB-4000's or even might go for the PB16 Ultra's if I shave off enough savings from reducing the power amps as Mazer advised... What do you think?

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
As far as cables, you can go with monoprice, blue jeans cables, etc. Definitely don't need to spend tons hrere. Stay away from CCA speaker wire. Make sure HDMI is high speed rated to pass full 4K60hz or possibly 8k rated for your PS5.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately given my circumstances, and having to buy from overseas and get it shipped to me, it will be very difficult to test them before purchase. I think I'm already going to switch to SVS for the subs, probably the PB-3000's, SB-4000's or even might go for the PB16 Ultra's if I shave off enough savings from reducing the power amps as Mazer advised... What do you think?
Some Klipsch can be a matter of taste, generally I'm not a fan (except for some of their old heritage type speakers, they can be fun). I've heard nice things about the RP series, my experience with the HT type lines from Klipsch were from before that. SVS also makes nice speakers. Nothing available locally?

D

Diktat

Enthusiast
As far as cables, you can go with monoprice, blue jeans cables, etc. Definitely don't need to spend tons hrere. Stay away from CCA speaker wire. Make sure HDMI is high speed rated to pass full 4K60hz or possibly 8k rated for your PS5.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the tips. Definitely going to go with that, I wasn't too hot about spending an arm on the cabling if it wasn't really worth it. I'll just make sure to get the proper HDMI cable.

Some Klipsch can be a matter of taste, generally I'm not a fan (except for some of their old heritage type speakers, they can be fun). I've heard nice things about the RP series, my experience with the HT type lines from Klipsch were from before that. SVS also makes nice speakers. Nothing available locally?
Nothing at all available locally.... in eastern Africa =)

I might be able to find something in south africa, but it would probably end up being more expensive that buying and shipping from Europe!

I will probably switch over to SVS for the subs, but I still need to refine my speaker selection to make sure I'm getting the best I can out of my budget. I'm pulling the trigger on this to last a few years, so I'm willing to have the budget for it!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the tips. Definitely going to go with that, I wasn't too hot about spending an arm on the cabling if it wasn't really worth it. I'll just make sure to get the proper HDMI cable.

Nothing at all available locally.... in eastern Africa =)

I might be able to find something in south africa, but it would probably end up being more expensive that buying and shipping from Europe!

I will probably switch over to SVS for the subs, but I still need to refine my speaker selection to make sure I'm getting the best I can out of my budget. I'm pulling the trigger on this to last a few years, so I'm willing to have the budget for it!
I live in the boonies but not like that! Yeah SA to you would likely just add expense. Plenty of good speaker brands in Europe, I doubt SVS has much presence compared to their subs, or the availability of more euro based speaker brands, but they have been expanding (originally only a US only internet direct company).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ Klipsch RP-8000F or Klipsch RF7-MKIII
If I has to pick between those I would go with the RP-8000F. I know its response, and it's a pretty good speaker. I would be afraid that the RF-7 would go for a more "classic" Klipsch sound which is like pouring sulpheric acid into my ears. The RF-7 would certainly have more headroom, but the RP-8000F already has plenty of headroom for my tastes.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If I has to pick between those I would go with the RP-8000F. I know its response, and it's a pretty good speaker. I would be afraid that the RF-7 would go for a more "classic" Klipsch sound which is like pouring sulpheric acid into my ears. The RF-7 would certainly have more headroom, but the RP-8000F already has plenty of headroom for my tastes.
@Diktat there you go saved you another $2000

D

Diktat

Enthusiast
Thanks for your update. I've heard quite the opposite regarding the RF-7's, which sound less 'bright' than older versions, and are truly impressive, and a huge step up from the 8000F's.

What would you recommend for surrounds and rears, if I went with the RF-7's (or 8000F's) and RC-64 front soundstage? Should I stay away from floorstanding?

Alternatively, given the budget, would you recommend me to find something else than Klipsch entirely?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your update. I've heard quite the opposite regarding the RF-7's, which sound less 'bright' than older versions, and are truly impressive, and a huge step up from the 8000F's.

Alternatively, given the budget, would you recommend me to find something else than Klipsch entirely?
I was not a fan of the RF-7's. Their sound signature not my style.

Paradigm Premier series

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

What would you recommend for surrounds and rears, if I went with the RF-7's (or 8000F's) and RC-64 front soundstage? Should I stay away from floorstanding?

This is a measurement of the RF-7 mk3:

That is much inferior to the RP-8000F speakers. That is like heritage level response. I would stay away from Klipsch unless you know for a fact that the speaker isn't bad. The only speakers that measure well that I have seen from Klipsch are the RP-8000F and the R-820F. The center speaker design is not great either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis