Help a Girl Out . . .

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
techigirl78 said:
It is true that the 3805/2805 sounds better then the 2106 even at lower levels, correct?
IMO not really. At low levels when you are drawing maybe one or two watts adding more power is not going make any difference in the sound. Any of the Denons receivers mentioned will effortlessly drive your speakers to ear damaging levels without breaking a sweat.

D

DOLFAN

Audiophyte
Wow

Any Sisters (that Might Want To Move To Ft. Laud. Fl.?)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
try not to double post.

I must say, this thread went to 5 pages pretty fast....I wonder why....:rolleyes:

SheepStar

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
I must say, this thread went to 5 pages pretty fast....I wonder why....:rolleyes:
SheepStar
yeah well half of the posts are just blatent date proposals... and the other half do it more subtly.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mulester7 said:
.....thanks for the warning....you heard TechieGirl say she didn't like the sound of two receivers different brands, and did like the sound of two totally different brands....you think they didn't use the same signals?....with the same speakers?....and the speakers moved?....if all surround-receivers sounded the same, life would get dull, and it's all about staying solvent, and appealing to the large majority....the differences are in the manufacturer's choices as to build quality, imo....for me, it would be either Yamaha's pre-pro's, or Denon's pre-pro's....comments, please......
Let's not get carried away with 'all receivers sound the same' urban legend. I challenge you to find the post where that has been posted. :)

Well designed ones, operated withing its design range do, however. Easy to design one that sounds euphonic.

As to her perceptions, I missed that post, good thing;) or I'd get in trouble, again, many issues can lead to differences, not withstanding being a sighted comparison and bias gets in the way. After that, level matching, speaker not being the same, room not the same are just a few reasons. Also, if there is much time lag between the comparisons, ones memory is the other issue. So, in the end, it becomes like all other reports of differences, unreliable.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

techigirl78 said:
I also found a $50 mfr rebate online for it, so that drops the price to $350. If that's what you were referring to.

If they charged you restocking fee, what ever that amount is, what your out of pocket loss would be. But if they didn't take it back and tried to sell it on your own, that is a hassle and who knows what you would get for it on the used market. I am sure if you return it, that $50 rebate will be null and void, plus not ethical to accept it, not for me.

A

AFJumper03

Junior Audioholic
I am also a proud owner of a similar Hitachi. If you think the picture looks good now wait until you tweak it with one of the popular DVDs out there. It made my picture go from great to just flat out incredible, espically when the room is totally dark. My friends come over now and just sit there with their mouths open. IMO best bang for your buck these days in HDTV.

And yes I would also like to make a comment that it is incredible how fast this thread filled up.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

AFJumper03 said:
And yes I would also like to make a comment that it is incredible how fast this thread filled up.

One just has to look at the inviting title:D
We don't get many females posting:p

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Let's not get carried away with 'all receivers sound the same' urban legend. I challenge you to find the post where that has been posted. :)
.....Mtry, I don't think all receivers sound the same, and neither does TechieGirl, my long-lost daughter....Mtry, answer me....would we all be better off, if our home theaters had sound-proofing on every surface just like in a recording studio?......

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
About room acoustics....Shameless self promotion

Oh yeah, you want a new girlfriend? My wife needs a little...straightening out.
Thanks for your shameless self promotion. It should work. I liked this part the best: "Apparently, tape measures will give you a different length every time you use them." and "Cutting a straight line is a lot harder than you think, especially if the person that measured the two points you needed to draw the guide line can’t measure."

My fiance' is a carpenter, so I don't think he'll have any problems. Besides he was mad I didn't let him build the TV stand, so he'll be happy now. I'm going to see if a printing shop could print my favorite movie posters / prints onto fabric for me. I know I'd one gollum at least, maybe this one: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Return-of-the-King-Gollum_i826731_.htm

We probably wouldn't have too much to talk about if she needs straightening out.

mtrycrafts said:
If they charged you restocking fee, what ever that amount is, what your out of pocket loss would be. But if they didn't take it back and tried to sell it on your own, that is a hassle and who knows what you would get for it on the used market. I am sure if you return it, that $50 rebate will be null and void, plus not ethical to accept it, not for me.
I wouldn't get the rebate and return it, that's just wrong. I expect we will keep it. We have a lot of electrical wiring in the basement that could cause issues and based on the reviews I've read, this powercenter should work will for us. Also, $350 isn't that much to blow, I've done much worse. If the store didn't take it at a no/low restocking fee, I'd likely just keep it. I wound't send in the rebate till I knew I was keeping it.

AFJumper03 said:
I am also a proud owner of a similar Hitachi. If you think the picture looks good now wait until you tweak it with one of the popular DVDs out there. It made my picture go from great to just flat out incredible, espically when the room is totally dark. My friends come over now and just sit there with their mouths open. IMO best bang for your buck these days in HDTV.
Good to hear. I got a whole bunch of movies I'm going to be watching again and tweeking I will do. In a way, I'm kind of mad at myself that I waited on the TV. I just watched my LOR extended box set two weeks ago on my 32" TV and outdated stereo. Don't know when I'll have 12 hours to spare again to watch it all over.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
Rebates arent given until the returning period is over. They will hold it for however long.. a couple weeks, or couple months.

my advice would be to send the rebate soon as possible, because most are void after a week or so after purchase.

if you return the item. They will know, and wont give you the rebate. i wouldnt worry about cheating them.

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
jetyi83 said:
Rebates arent given until the returning period is over. They will hold it for however long.. a couple weeks, or couple months.

my advice would be to send the rebate soon as possible, because most are void after a week or so after purchase.

if you return the item. They will know, and wont give you the rebate. i wouldnt worry about cheating them.
Makes sense, but many systems don't have all the checks and balances that we would assume they would. The rebate is valid through 2/06. I'll send it in within the next week or two. Just want to make sure I am indeed keeping the product. It was a bit irritating that I needed to find out about the rebate online vs. through my salesperson. Maybe I should call him and let them know, so they can give it to anyone else that may get it before the expiration date.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah well at least you found out. When i bought all the networking hardware for my computer and house i realized about 8 months later when i looked at the receipt that i could have gotten almost 150 bucks back on rebate.

stupid compusa.

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
jetyi83 said:
yeah well at least you found out. When i bought all the networking hardware for my computer and house i realized about 8 months later when i looked at the receipt that i could have gotten almost 150 bucks back on rebate.

stupid compusa.
Sorry to hear about it. I stopped by the store I bought the setup from and let them know about it. One of the guys who helped me was the AV manager and called the corporate office, who also didn't know about it. I guess Monster was in last week doing a demo and didn't even mention it. Well, hopefully, it allows them to pass it along to other customers as the offer doesn't expire until 2/28/05.

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Speaker Placement Questions

Well, I did a layout of my room where my TV/Speakers are to go into (see below).

My intention was to have the sub next to the TV, but that would push one of the mains in a corner behind a couch. Anyone see a better option to start with when setting up my system.

Then there's the silly dipole speakers. I read the following: "Bipolar/Dipole surrounds usually perform best when placed on the side walls directly across or slightly behind the seated listening position and at approximately 18-28” above the seated ear level position." and "Direct Radiating surrounds usually perform best when placed behind and slightly higher than the listening position, spread apart the same distance as the mains and slightly toed in." (http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/loudspeakerplacement01.php).

Based on this info, it seems the direct radiating speakers would work better for a 5.1 setup in my room. I could move the 90 gal fish tank, but it is hard plumbed in the wall and would be a 1-2 day event to move it 3 ft. eastward. :( I'd like to avoid if possible.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
techigirl78 said:
My intention was to have the sub next to the TV, but that would push one of the mains in a corner behind a couch. Anyone see a better option to start with when setting up my system.
What about the putting the sub in the above referenced corner behind the couch or between the chair and TV?

Edit: Bear in mind that if you are going to get the best from your sub (and all your speakers for that matter) you will need to experiment with location and my experience is that the difference between a so-so location and a very good location is not subtle, but dramatic. For me that ment outboard of my right front speaker which is not a corner location. In the corner, which is very common location for a sub, my sub sounded boomy. Go figure.

Nick

Last edited:
K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
thats probobly one of the weirdest layouts ive seen. and ive seen.. not that many

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Why you say that? Cause the speakers are in the center of the room? I was confused about them, so there they sat.

Here is this better:

I'm going to go with that setup for now and move it as needed. The rears sit just above the height of the aquarium. I think I may end up moving the towers next to the TV and the sub more to the corner.

Then within the next few months, when I can move my fish tank, I'm thinking I'll get two more speakers to create 7.1:

Based on what I read yesterday and today, this should work out, correct? I also need to get an AV component rack as there isn't much room under the stand for the future components I want to add. Finally, I want to make the DIY absorbers mentioned earlier. I found a place that can put images onto large pieces of cotten near my house after talking to the fabric store. We're thinking the Virii Twins, Gollum, Jesica Albi/Sin City, Species, and one of the Aliens. Not quite sure.

It isn't the typical white & black layout cause I was bored at work on Friday and I wasn't too busy, so I found something to keep me occupied.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis