hello fellow gear heads

elbooger1963

elbooger1963

Audiophyte
so first question ; my second hand niles si 275 amp thats on my pre out on my marantz 5001 keeps showing various shades of red protection flickering to barley illuminated to flat out indicating blowout but dig this my new folks it does not go into protect???? i mean annoying rite its obviously a defective indicator i mean if the speakers go out its in protect id think .Any thoughts gentle readers ? oh yes infinity reference 2004s only hooked up with monster cable correctly in phase o m l i love these little sweeties i got them for 60.00 yup did good . ive exhausted all possibilities other than i bought a great amp with a problem

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
It could be a clipping indicator. In which seeing any sort of red is very bad....

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
so first question ; my second hand niles si 275 amp thats on my pre out on my marantz 5001 keeps showing various shades of red protection flickering to barley illuminated to flat out indicating blowout but dig this my new folks it does not go into protect???? i mean annoying rite its obviously a defective indicator i mean if the speakers go out its in protect id think .Any thoughts gentle readers ? oh yes infinity reference 2004s only hooked up with monster cable correctly in phase o m l i love these little sweeties i got them for 60.00 yup did good . ive exhausted all possibilities other than i bought a great amp with a problem
Are the infinity ref2004s car speakers?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are the infinity ref2004s car speakers?
I'm guessing he's talking about these...

966104-infinity-reference-20004-2way-tower-speakers-pair.jpg

Infinity Reference 2000.4 Speakers

MSRP: $449
Production Period: 1997 to ?
Power Range: 15-150 Watts
Impedance: 8 ohm
Woofer: 6.5" Polypropylene Cone - Rubber Surround
Tweeter Front: 1" Dome
Freq. Response: 40hz - 20khz
Efficiency: 89db 1w/1m
Crossover Frequency: not published
Enclosure Type: MDF/Vinyl Covering - Bottom Ported
Dimensions: 33H x 7.5W x 10-3/8D"
Connection Type: 5-Way Binding Posts
Weight: 56.8lbs per pair

I couldn't find an actual spec sheet or anything, but there are a few for sale. That's where I got the info.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Yeah they came as a surround set typically. I had those with two of the 2000 series surrounds and a 10" sub that i used with my computer until a few years ago.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I'm guessing he's talking about these...

View attachment 30586

Infinity Reference 2000.4 Speakers

MSRP: $449
Production Period: 1997 to ?
Power Range: 15-150 Watts
Impedance: 8 ohm
Woofer: 6.5" Polypropylene Cone - Rubber Surround
Tweeter Front: 1" Dome
Freq. Response: 40hz - 20khz
Efficiency: 89db 1w/1m
Crossover Frequency: not published
Enclosure Type: MDF/Vinyl Covering - Bottom Ported
Dimensions: 33H x 7.5W x 10-3/8D"
Connection Type: 5-Way Binding Posts
Weight: 56.8lbs per pair

I couldn't find an actual spec sheet or anything, but there are a few for sale. That's where I got the info.
Yep about or around 97 to 2003. I had picked up the lil brother with the 5 1/2 inch driver. Not a bad sounding speaker. Alone the line of Polks entry level monitors, over priced at retail. With the cheap vinyl wrap scratch, knick very easily, peeling in a high humidity area like down here in the South. But for what he picked up those for at 60 bucks he got a good deal for sure. Maybe he should post up a couple of photos so we can take a look see.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
CLi
Clipping isn't the reason amplifiers go into protection- it's DC at the output and exceeding a thermal cutoff that causes it, in most cases. Clipping just means your amp isn't powerful enough for the sound level you want.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Keep in mind more enthusiasts add bass, treble and channel gain as well as run their speakers full range.

It’s not uncommon to calibrate a system to reference or not at all and then add those gains I mentioned which totally defeat the system calibration all together or lack of it.

The old boys saw a volume knob and a woofer and needed to rotate the knob 720 degrees just to see how loud they could get their system without any care in the world.

Loud yet distorted was widely accepted as great sound. Pump back a few beers and hit the dooby you couldn’t tell anyways since your 3/4 deaf as a result of working around large machinery all week over 20 years!

She clips, she claws, she cries she pops, yet that be damn good sound quality ya know:eek:

Red flicker, no flicker, better not go solid you snicker:mad:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis