Hello everyone, 4k player issues (should have asked here first...)

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I have bought my first 4k gear. I ended up getting a 65 inch Samsung Q80 and the Sony x800 4k player to go with it. I have had the TV for a few weeks and am enjoying it quite a bit. I got the Sony hooked up and played a couple of discs with it. I had read about the freezing issues of the x700 and x800, well the 3rd or 4th 4k disc I have tried to play in it froze. The movie was 2 Fast 2 Furious (my 4k collection is not that large yet.) Anyways was just playing the movie while getting ready to work nights. I bought the player through Amazon and have until the end of August to return it. Should I just go ahead and get a Panasonic (if so, which one?) Thanks for the help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you get the same result on another try to play the problematic disc? Check for firmware updates perhaps?

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
Did you get the same result on another try to play the problematic disc? Check for firmware updates perhaps?
Yes, had to power off and back on to get it to start playing again. Froze again less than a minute later. (Disc is brand new never been touched before.) Checked firmware after and showed up to date. Thanks for responding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just the one disc isn't definitive and probably wouldn't get me to return a unit particularly (I have several hundred optical discs at hand but otoh can't think of any that don't play properly in a variety of players I've got). Altho I have read of some others having issues with these Sony players; others seem to have no issues with them OTOH. Could be a bad disc, too I suppose. I'd use it some more within your return period at least, tho.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
Just the one disc isn't definitive and probably wouldn't get me to return a unit particularly (I have several hundred optical discs at hand but otoh can't think of any that don't play properly in a variety of players I've got). Altho I have read of some others having issues with these Sony players; others seem to have no issues with them OTOH. Could be a bad disc, too I suppose. I'd use it some more within your return period at least, tho.
I agree with your thinking. I put the Tokyo Drift disc in today and it cut off 30 to 40 mins in. Tomorrow I plan to try one of the matrix or Bourne series 4k disc's that I have. If it messes up that too its got to be the player.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have bought my first 4k gear. I ended up getting a 65 inch Samsung Q80 and the Sony x800 4k player to go with it. I have had the TV for a few weeks and am enjoying it quite a bit. I got the Sony hooked up and played a couple of discs with it. I had read about the freezing issues of the x700 and x800, well the 3rd or 4th 4k disc I have tried to play in it froze. The movie was 2 Fast 2 Furious (my 4k collection is not that large yet.) Anyways was just playing the movie while getting ready to work nights. I bought the player through Amazon and have until the end of August to return it. Should I just go ahead and get a Panasonic (if so, which one?) Thanks for the help.
Is your X800 enclosed in a cabinet or without adequate air space all around? If so, that could explain the problem as overheating may cause freezing problems. It overheats and it freezes :p
FYI, I have used a X800 for a couple of years and never experienced that problem.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
Is your X800 enclosed in a cabinet or without adequate air space all around? If so, that could explain the problem as overheating may cause freezing problems. It overheats and it freezes :p
FYI, I have used a X800 for a couple of years and never experienced that problem.
It's sitting on top of my TV cabinet, not inside. It's not my end game cabinet so I'm not as concerned about looks. I'll check to see if the fan is working. Plenty of airflow around it though. Thanks for your thoughts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis