Heights or in-ceiling speakers for Atmos?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like a plan, get your dad some beers and get those speakers mounted.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
We've spent 2 nights on it so far and got 5 of 8 speaker mounts up and all the conduit placed with no speaker wires. It seems ridiculous until you realize all the little things we needed to do like finding joists.

I ended up having to move the whole theater over 3" just to make it work with the joists.

Then, we also have an even number of joists, so both center height (CH) and center top (TS) channels needed another piece of wood.

---

What really messed me up are these two INCORRECT pictures in the manual:

1684403671346.png

1684403751361.png

As you can see, they incorrectly placed the top middle speakers either in front of or behind the listening area.

Super confusing.

After talking to dealer, looking at Dolby Atmos specs, and reading through other parts of the manual on speaker installation, I came to the conclusion that all 3 top middle need to be pointing directly down at you from above:

1684403827228.png

Now I have to move the entire middle row 6-24" back depending on my seating area.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
If only you read the Dolby atmos guidelines in the first place and not any manufacturers manual. Then there will be no confusion at all.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
If only you read the Dolby atmos guidelines in the first place and not any manufacturers manual. Then there will be no confusion at all.
No reason to blame anyone here. I'm not an expert in speaker placement, so it's easy to do it wrong when the manufacturer tells me incorrectly.

Also, Dolby didn't have 4 heights and 2 ceiling listed, so I looked at the docs for 4 heights and 4 ceiling.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Yep, it's there. I missed it because the picture doesn't show rear heights. Dolby needs to fix that.
1684520052354.png

Regardless, this isn't a "duh, you should've known better" situation. What a horrible way to treat someone.

I'm a regular Joe consumer, and there's absolutely no way I would've known to look at Dolby's site for speaker placement over the manual that came with pre-pro.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just do your best. Even when you have the optimal speaker configuration info, you may have to compromise it for a room than is far less than optimal. Throw in accommodating to different speaker configurations and things can get really messy.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yep, it's there. I missed it because the picture doesn't show rear heights. Dolby needs to fix that.
View attachment 62050
Regardless, this isn't a "duh, you should've known better" situation. What a horrible way to treat someone.

I'm a regular Joe consumer, and there's absolutely no way I would've known to look at Dolby's site for speaker placement over the manual that came with pre-pro.
Dolby needs to show what that setup looks like after the cat has knocked all that crap over...

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Have a read up on the Dolby atmos studio guidelines and they will have all the information you need.
It's more detailed than those simple one page diagrams.
Remember, placement is based on angles from the main listening position.
If doing 6 atmos the placement world be 45, 90, 135 degrees elevation from ear level or thereabouts. (Side view)
For the spacing it's 45-55 degrees elevation from ear level (back view)

I trust this is helpful

Last edited:
Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
I got everything mounted. I notice very little change. It's surprising how good the Atmos toppers are compared to ceiling- and height-mounted speakers.

I bought some Auro3D demo discs and ripped them tonight. The audio is DTS-HD and DTS, but no Auro3D. I'm not sure what's going on. Starting a different thread on that here because I wanted to use it to test my heights:

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Atmos or DTS:X or IMAX Enhanced, where should I be putting my height channels?

Currently, they're speaker-mounted (bouncy-house), but I plan to mount them up high, just not in the ceiling. Ever since hearing that the Audioholics folks (Gene, etc) have them in the ceiling, I've been having doubts.

I read a Sound & Vision article on Dolby Pro Logic IIz (which has heights), and he said: "I'd describe the sound as taller, not higher". Not sure if it's a Dolby Pro Logic IIz issue, but I want height sounds to sound like they're coming from above my head, not that I have taller front and rear speakers.

Is it gonna be an issue mounting them up high on my 9' walls rather than above my head?
my ceilings are 13ft in our area so its not happening. .

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Update on my mounted speakers.

The Monolith 8250X kept shutting off channels randomly even before I mounted it, but it was worse. I tried multiple things, but the unit kept overheating without two 140mm Noctua fans pushing air through the back top.

I picked up a Marantz AMP 10 instead, and it's night and day probably because it doesn't randomly shut off.

At first, it went into over-protection, but I found two 90-degree connectors almost touching on one of the mounted speakers. After separating them, I haven't had issues since.

Now, I can hear a difference between mounted and bouncy-house.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
See how easy it is to implement spatial audio in your home?;)

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, hahaha, I know!

I get why Dolby did bouncy-house speakers, but it'd make more sense if builders would cut holes in the ceilings of new homes (with covers) so you can put in whatever speakers you want with ease.

Honestly, that'd let you put anything up there; new lights, HDMI, etc. There could be any number of reasons you might want to be able to access those areas.

In Kansas City, we have basements. Unfinished basements and open ceilings allow us to route cables wherever we need throughout the house. This is how I wired my entire place for Ethernet. It was a lot simpler than mounting speakers since you donj't have to worry about exact wire-placement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis