Height speakers (modules)

D

dareblue

Audiophyte
Hello,
I have a set of Polk RTi A9 speakers in my home theater. I would like to add speakers for Atmos capability, but have no way to mount ceiling or in-ceiling speakers. Does anyone use height modules with Polk towers? If so, what brand/model?
Thank you

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you mount on the wall in the “height” locations!?

D

dareblue

Audiophyte
Can you mount on the wall in the “height” locations!?
I probably could, but it would require more work than I am capable of. Plus, I don’t think wall mount speakers would pass the wife acceptance test no more than ceiling mounted speakers would even if I could.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Fair enough. Problem is, the height modules can take a LOT of fussing with to make the angles right for the reflected sound to hit the LP. That can be a problem for many, and some give up and write Atmos off as “meh” without really experiencing it. I love Atmos, and encourage you to keep trying. Even if that means upfiring modules. Just make sure you can spend the time to get them right. That might mean angling them back/forward or raising them up etc. imagine making a bank shot in pool. Kinda like this...

From your response, my guess is you don’t have much access to tools, or just not that great with diy. IMO, it’s worth finding a handy man or some way to go into the ceiling if you can’t get the wife to play along. My wife does NOT get the final say here, and we usually don’t agree. On anything! Lol. But at the end of the day we both live here and she knows if it’s important to me, we can figure it out. I’m lucky enough to have 7.3.4 in my LR, but not because I left it to her! Lol

D

dareblue

Audiophyte
Wow, thanks for the diagram. The bank shot analogy makes perfect sense, and I still haven’t mastered that and haven’t given up. I know my way around anything that has an engine, but get me working wood or sheetrock and it’s a disaster. If I really pushed for in ceiling or high wall mounted speakers, I’m sure my wife would cave as she also knows this is important to me, but there’s always compromise and she’s been agreeable with everything else and since the install would require hiring someone and money being tight right now, I figured modules would be the least intrusive, least expensive yet somewhat effective way to get atmos albeit with a bit of fiddling to get it right. Now it’s just a matter of finding ones that would fit atop my Polk towers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis